General discussion

A little assistance restoring system (Daewoo CT6640)

So, someone in my house decided that we should have XP loaded on our Daewoo CT6640. As anyone can guess, this particular setup just isn't suited for XP (64mb of RAM). After a particularly agonizing week, I decided to restore said computer to original configuration. When I booted from "Restore CD", I had a screen saying that it was checking system, and would shut down if required. It keeps shutting down and restarting. When I pull the CD out and try to boot from hard drive, the restore software has already formatted the hard drive. I managed to dig out of my files a copy of 98 and installed it. Now, the computer will not recognize my modem, and in system I have exclamation marks on PCI Communication Device and PCI Multimedia Audio Device. When I try to update the driver, (by both using "driver disk" that came with 'puter, and windows search, it finds nothing that is compatible.
Will this configuration (CADY6) work with 98? Is there anywhere I can get help to use the Restore CD? The system came with WinME, and, lord help me, if I have to go back to WinME I will.
Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A little assistance restoring system (Daewoo CT6640)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A little assistance restoring system (Daewoo CT6640)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a FYI.

"Windows" as it comes from Microsoft needs you to find and install drivers for almost everything. Microsoft installs a few drivers, but not for most modems, sound cards, video, and so on.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob, but...

Windows couldn't locate the driver on the driver disk. I even used the installation software that is on the driver disk.

- Collapse -
You're right.

Windows often isn't the right tool to install that modem driver. I often have to track down the make/model of the modem, go get it's install package and follow its directions. If I spend more than 10 minutes at this I replace the modem because it's more cost effective.

Bob

- Collapse -
Supply modem details

If you know the make&model of the modem you're trying to install, get the proper drivers. I can only assume either you're trying to install drivers that aren't compatible or you have an unique modem. Goto either the maker support website and get the realted drivers or try:
http://www.driversguide.com (register for free use) and find the needed drivers.

Last, just as a guess, you can use the basic modem setup for generic 56K(your type?) modem under windows and see if it launches, if no go just get the drivers. Make sure if you tried more than once to install, de-install or delete/remove previous failed attempts of whatever modem listed under the control panel->modems->listing, check there

good luck -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Modem details

It is a U.S. Robotics 56k voice/fax. It is also OEM with this machine. I have installed, removed, installed, removed,(all the while using disks supplied by Daewoo) dozens of times. When I install the modem and use the standard 56k drivers(found in add a modem), Windows searches for the modem and checks com1 and com2, and there is modem found. The phone line is connected and I have a Dial tone. I believe the problem lies within the PCI communication. Probably time for a new system anyway.

Thanks,
Tom

- Collapse -
Anyone???

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Tom

- Collapse -
Too vague on the model
- Collapse -
Ok, try this...

Under control panel, modem icon, if the modem gets installed and is shown on a ceratin port. Then using the "diag" testing for "more details" should produce several lines of text showing what the modem is and what chipset, etc.. If it doesn't show that, then likely the modem bellied-up, its done in. As suggested earlier, the time spent on it maybe better done on a "new" modem for anything if only for the sake of mind. The dail tone is only good to show that the telco is active not the modem itself, because it passes through the modem, of course if no dail tone, you got other problems.

enjoy Happy -----Willy

CNET Forums

Forum Info