General discussion

A liitle help

I wanted to buy a reliable laptop for my brother. Since he's in college a thin and light notebook will do with
1.Any core processor
2.3-4gb RAM
3.250-500gb HDD
4.Light graphics for light games
5.Decent battery life.
Please send me recommendations.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A liitle help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A liitle help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Start with the post at the top of this forum.

Then share what you find. BEWARE THAT GAMING does not mix well with battery time (or life!)
Bob

- Collapse -
Laptop

Hi there,

Most laptops with graphics aren't going to be very thin and light. You should check out the Sony Vaio EB series. You can upgrade it to get dedicated graphics. You can also take a look at the Asus UL80Vt-A1. It has switchable graphics and only weighs 4.4 lbs.

What do you think of these?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

- Collapse -
Found Some!!

I went through some laptop reviews on CNET and found the following (And yes i found the sony vaio to be a good choice) -
Apple Macbook Pro 13"
hp dm4-1065dx
Sony Vaio EB series

Also i found the new dell xps series released recently and wanted to know if they are good enough since they offer everything in a reasonable price.

Also please tell me which one of these is better!!
Thanks

- Collapse -
Interesting list.

The MacBook Pro hits your battery life spot on with its 1000 cycle battery and your other items in your list. It's also a student fav. A very good choice.

The others usually come with standard 300 cycle or about a year life battery so figure a new battery in 12 to 18 months if you use the battery daily.
Bob

- Collapse -
HP graphics

Hi there,

After looking into the HP, it seems like it has really great specs but is not available with dedicated graphics. Were you able to find one with dedicated graphics?

The Sony still seems to be the best value.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

CNET Forums

Forum Info