Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A "Leader" arrives in New Orleans

by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

Hot Damn ! Finally,.... got a LEADER on the ground in New Orleans.

LtGen (that's three stars for you civilians) Honore, whose "peace time" job is the person in Washington DC in charge of the National Guard Bureau.

Once he kicked enough rear ends in his own domain, he relocated to Louisiana, didn't like what he found, and started acting like a Gen Patton. He told FEMA to get out of the way and got a convoy of food and water thru and to an area that FEMA said couldn't be done. He is walking the streets, shaking his fist, shouting orders, pointing his finger and making people "jump", including civilian police. He wants all weapons pointed at the ground, to play down the impression of the armed presence. In his mind this includes police as well as National Guardsmen. He sure got some startled and confused expressions when he told a pickup load of civilian police to do so. But, they did it. People will always follow a "leader" who is taking charge. In another incident he had ordered some helicopters for a certain spot, and they didn't show up. He got hold of FEMA, who had countermanded his order, FEMA "got the word", and the helicopters arrived.

Back on whatever grassy knoll he told someone to establish his "CP", people closest to him, and know him, call him the "Ragin Cajun". He knows New Orleans and Louisiana, and knows the people of Louisiana.

Let's see what happens in the next couple of days. Should be interesting if he is able to extend his leadership, and effectively take control from the bureaucrats of FEMA. Let FEMA believe they are yet in-charge, just as long as they stay out of the way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A "Leader" arrives in New Orleans
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A "Leader" arrives in New Orleans
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) huraaaaaaaaah
by Mark5019 / September 4, 2005 6:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
But wasn't Al Sharpton there before him?
by EdH / September 4, 2005 6:11 AM PDT

What more leader do you need?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) al is as usefull as teats on a bull
by Mark5019 / September 4, 2005 6:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
He's a fine leader...
by dirtyrich / September 4, 2005 2:39 PM PDT

if you want to instigate a racial war. Wait.... that's almost what happened.
Heard a reporter on CNN or Foxnews (can't remember which, been flipping between)... that said that a large portion of the dead bodies he has seen resulting from obvious violence (as opposed to the storm) were white.

Collapse -
Jessie, You are Blocking the Camera, Jackson was
by Kiddpeat / September 4, 2005 11:57 PM PDT

there also. What more was needed?

Collapse -
Just clicked on and saw your headline thinking
by John Robie / September 4, 2005 6:23 AM PDT

Rudy G. from NYC, or the spirit of Gen Patton came alive.

But that 'Ragin Cajun' Lt. Gen. '****-A' can kick some A, and that is what is needed in a crisis. I'd follow him anywhere even to Hell in N.O.

Collapse -
Oops !
by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 7:30 AM PDT

I indicated earlier that LTG Honore was Chief of the National Guard Bureau. Not !

LTG Honore is the Commanding General of the US 1st Army, Headquartered in Georgia, and is currently Commander, Joint Task Force Katrina.

LTG Blum is the Chief of the National Guard Bureau.

Sorry.

Collapse -
I could be wrong but...
by grimgraphix / September 4, 2005 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops !

I believe the first time he was on the ground in NOLA was Thursday... not to denigrate old "ornery's" efforts.

grim

Collapse -
That would be about right since
by TONI H / September 4, 2005 7:52 AM PDT

it wasn't requested to have military help until late Wednesday....it took time to get the troops organized and transport them. Federal troops can't go anywhere on their own....they have to be formally asked for and then assigned.

And THIS is definitely a denigrading remark by me against the local and state government in LA.

TONI

Collapse -
You're right Toni.........
by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 8:09 AM PDT

BUT,...this is one time, with the certainy of the obvious in the days preceding landfall, that "someone" in the federal bureaucracy should have taken the bull by the horns and "moved". Let the government watch schreechers, attorneys, and whoever, make all the noise they could muster. That law, or whatever, that is on the bureaucrats check list that 'requires' an invitation or request from local authorities "first", didn't envision a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane on the shoulders of impotent local authorities.

Collapse -
A couple days of "Bravado"......
by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

...of eye ball to eye ball, person to person, Butt Kickin', and the word will fllter thruout the area faster than a radio call. People will stay awake, and find that they can chew gum and walk at the same time, cause they don't want to get hollered at.

Go Honore, Go !

Collapse -
Military presence in the Gulf area
by Mac McMullen / September 4, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

LTG Honore has repeated, and I feel worth emphasizing, that the primary mission of the National Guard in the area is for humanitarian relief, including basic "security" of people and operations, but NOT law enforcement.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a man who knows what his job is !!!
by grimgraphix / September 4, 2005 8:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
I just got through watching LtGen Honore's briefing,...
by Paul C / September 5, 2005 5:49 AM PDT

...and I'm here to tell you that here is a man who I'd happily follow into Hell, despite the risks - and who would make me feel crappy if I didn't with just a look.

The way he dusted off the press drones (and, for that matter, Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff) made me realize that my only regret was that he wasn't there sooner.

Two exchanges I liked (from memory, not quotes):

1. Gen. Honore: Have you beem to New Orleans?

Reporter: No, sir.

Gen. Honore: Then go to New Orleans and see for yourself.

2. Gen Honore: Have you been to New Orleans?

Reporter: Yes, sir (I love how the press instinctively KNOW to call their betters ''Sir'', BTW).

Gen. Honore: Were you ever in danger?

Reporter: No, sir.

Gen. Honore: Then stop all this BS.

The man's a Southerner, a professional and a hardass; IOW, just what we've needed on scene. I bet that there are many folks who are presently missing strips of skin that he tore off while taking charge - and I love it!

Collapse -
He was on 60 Minutes for a bit
by Cindi Haynes / September 5, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

And the reporter was dogging him about not getting the dead bodies outta the streets.

He said he had priorities. There were 2 choices. Get the dead bodies out of the streets, or get the living people out of the streets to places of safety. Then he asked the reporter (with a nicely arched eyebrow) "Which one are you going to choose?"

What a breath of fresh air!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Why am I not surprised?
by Paul C / September 5, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

A dweeb from the establishment press who can't find his/her *** with a map, a light and 3 assistants is unable to realize that the best and quickest way to prevent the survivors from getting ill due to close contact with the dead is to get the damn survivors the hell out of town...

Collapse -
And dusted he did.....
by John Robie / September 5, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

Only was able to catch just the tail end of the live broadcast. Yep, the kind of leader that is needed, and I also would have been honored to serve in his outfit.

Believe he is a Koon-A (Cajun) raised near N.O. and can properly handle the Press... as was noted. He takes no crap from anyone, and doesn't mind telling the higher ups how the cow eats the cabbage. He should have been in charge of everything pertainint to this Hurricane 9 days ago. Feel absolutely sure that he would not let anyone go more than 1 day without water/food as he would have the regular active duty military right on station with water/food soon as the wind died down.

Collapse -
I wionder if his honesty is responsible for the speech
by gearup / September 5, 2005 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: And dusted he did.....

I just heard from a NO deputy police chief. He was addressing survivors and the gist of he said must have shocked them. "Get out There is nothing left for you. No place to live,no food, no$$$ and no jobs."

Collapse -
I also have observed that particular
by John Robie / September 5, 2005 7:32 AM PDT

Assistant Police Chief. He is well spoken, but appears to want everyone to get out of Dodge saying it is destroyed with the tone ...'don't come back..makes our police job easier without the problems of the.... 'poor' which carries thugs/crime. He is trying to give the impression that N.O. is totally destroyed forever. But, that is only temporarily, as most of the businesses & homes are flooded and can be dried out and reused in time, as has been demonstrated in many floods. There are even entire areas that did not get flooded, and the wind damage is not that great to render the city 'destroyed'.

He also says the military is in charge of rescue and the city police is in charge of security except for a few areas....
I had thought the city police were given time off by the Mayor and not currently doing anything but checking on their families & homes and resting, leaving security to others.

Collapse -
His world was destroyed,,,
by J. Vega / September 5, 2005 9:19 AM PDT

In a sense, his world was destroyed. NOLA will rebuild, and this means that the NOLA Police Department will also be rebuilt. But without a greal deal of the corruption (at first), the spotlight will shine too brightly on it for that.

Collapse -
Here is his biography
by Angeline Booher / September 5, 2005 7:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good, hope he whips the whole thing into the best shape
by Ziks511 / September 5, 2005 6:08 PM PDT

possible under the overwhelming circumstances. The ground Nawlins is going to be wet for months after the streets are dry. Its going to be a tough job.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The kind of military guy I like,sorta like Schwartzkopf.
by Ziks511 / September 5, 2005 6:10 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?