Laptops forum

General discussion

A laptop for college

I'm going the college this fall and have come to the conclusion that my HP Pavilion zd8000 is just too bulky to haul around between school, home, and classes. I have done a scan of some notebooks around the market these days and have come to like three notebooks and would like some opinions on which would be best. All these notebooks will have the Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz processors in them and be upgraded to 2 gigs of memory.

The HP dv2000t: my zd8000 has been faithful to me and naturally I looked at HP first. I found the dv2000t to be appealing. It's sleek and has all the features I want and is very portable. The only think I do not enjoy about it is that it has an integrated graphics card. I'm not going to be gaming on this machine, but I do use Photoshop 7 a lot.

The HP dv6000t: The bigger cousin to the dv2000t, it's main improvements is a larger screen and a separate graphics card. The only pitfall with this model is that I don't believe it would be quite as portable as it's smaller brethren.

The 13-inch White MacBook with the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz processor. I am a very large fan of OS X but I don't like the design of the case as much as the HPs. I also feel that it's price is a bit high. It is also the most portable of the notebooks I've listed here.

I just want to get some of your opinions and hands-on experience. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A laptop for college
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A laptop for college
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you're college bound...

In reply to: A laptop for college

I'm going to meet you half-way here even though I'm a dedicated Apple user now...

If your main thing is portability, go for the MacBook or the dv2000t. I can't stress enough to people that the integrated graphics in my MacBook work fine. Now when it comes down to price, also remember that you're paying for the OS. I found that in spending a little more for my MacBook... I had a much more pleasant experience and since November... I've not had one glitch in my laptop's operation. Just a side note also - the black MacBook (albeit more expensive) is very attractive and the matte finish makes it very hard to fingerprint, but don't just think about design. My white MacBook has recieved praise for being so minimalistic and attractive as well.

If you really would prefer the HP though, don't hesitate. I'm always one to say that you should stick to what you're comfortable with. It just depends though. What would you really prefer? Moving around with it easier, or what's inside?

Collapse -
Function over Portability

In reply to: If you're college bound...

It's what's inside that is bothering me. I am very hesitant to use an integrated graphics card as I do photo editing and image creation in Photoshop 7.0 and would like to play some games on it.

I really need to get to a store that has both laptops in so I can get some hands on experience with them and see how much of a hassle the larger HP model is to move around. I would love the 2000 model but the lack of a dedicated graphics card despite mobility is the make or break for me.

Collapse -
Function Always Prevails

In reply to: Function over Portability

If you feel that you really need the graphics card, I wouldn't sway you in any other direction, so do go with what you feel.

To be honest, any laptop can be portable with the right bag, and you look pretty smart if you have a laptop back that makes you look mature and intelligent.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.