General discussion

A Janet Reno legacy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A Janet Reno legacy
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A Janet Reno legacy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I wonder

are you from danville?

- Collapse -
The Matanzas Young Pioneer Camp is quite nice, though I've

only seen it when its empty. By the way, they're called Young Pioneers, not Young Communists, that's an entirely different organization.

Unlike Janet Reno's term, which did not include the assassination of American nationals in other parts of the world, Obama and friends, probably seeking some Republican approval have decided to go after the American now masquerading under an Arabic name who makes broadcasts. He's supposed to be in Yemen. Haven't they heard of due process? IF they are successful it will be a travesty worse than the Bush wiretaps.

Rob

- Collapse -
"the Bush wire tap" canard

I can only presume you mean the exact same laws that the Obama DOJ supports/has defended?

- Collapse -
Not to mention...
- Collapse -
HUD projects

LOL, I think every other one was named Pioneer City or Pioneer Village. In Tampa it was Pioneer Village, outside of Tampa. Here in Maryland there's Pioneer City near Ft. Meade, also Meade Village. HUD really loved using the term "village" too when naming a project. Reminds me of Hillary's "It takes a village". Maybe that was a codeword from her to voters?

- Collapse -
And then there's Russia

They say "don't send them back".

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_ADOPTED_BOY?SITE=WBAL&SECTION=NATIONAL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Russia threatened to suspend all child adoptions by U.S. families Friday after a 7-year-old boy adopted by a woman from Tennessee was sent alone on a one-way flight back to Moscow with a note saying he was violent and had severe psychological problems.

The boy, Artyom Savelyev, was put on a plane by his adopted grandmother, Nancy Hansen of Shelbyville.

"He drew a picture of our house burning down and he'll tell anybody that he's going to burn our house down with us in it," she told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It got to be where you feared for your safety. It was terrible."

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the actions by the grandmother "the last straw" in a string of U.S. adoptions gone wrong, including three in which Russian children had died in the U.S (more)

- Collapse -
And then there's America

put 7 year old adopted son on a plane?

He's not a Toyota with unexpected acceleration.

- Collapse -
the American govt was involved?

didn't think so.

- Collapse -
RE: didn't think so.

do you now?

We're obviously very troubled by it," U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said in Washington when asked about the boy's case. He told reporters the U.S. and Russia share a responsibility for the child's safety and Washington will work closely with Moscow to make sure adoptions are legal and appropriately monitored.

- Collapse -
Will someone please explain to me

why we go to other countries to adopt children when there is so many in the foster care system that would love a real family?

My ex and I were trying to adopt before I got pregnant and said we would take up to three siblings and got nowhere. Is the adoption system in this country so broken that it's easier to adopt out of country?

Of course there are the same problems in this country. I remember a white family wanting to adopt a black foster child and they were denied and the child sent out of state where he was killed by his new black parents.

Diana

- Collapse -
RE: it's easier to adopt out of country?

My guesses are

More "babies" available.

less Red tape/legal fees?

- Collapse -
Think you are correct

There isn't an abundance of "perfect" or "designer" quality children in the US and those that can afford the legal processes to adopt these few will set the price. There seems to be an abundance of healthy orphans overseas from war torn countries or those whose poverty is population related. In my own church community, we have many adopted children and few are of pure European heritage. Most are Asian. Those who were USA born are mixed race (black/white). I know that, in the church school where my wife teaches, several non English speaking students have been enrolled over the years including at least one Russian child. Not all get shipped back due to customer dissatisfaction. Happy

- Collapse -
One couple I know went to Russia

because of red tape in general, but more because of recent court orders taking adopted kids away from their new parents a few years later when the mother decided she changed her mind.

And also, even with a couple flights to Moscow, and trains from Moscow to Siberia, medical exams for the child, their total costs were less than average adoption cost in the USA.

So there is a couple of reasons.

Roger

- Collapse -
whiter kids

Hard for white families in America to find white children to adopt, but Russia has an over supply of orphans. Someone who was a neighbor, but since has moved to Alaska. The father was parent to my older girl's best friend, married recently to a second wife. The new wife and he adopted 2 children from Russia. Both of them were about 50 years, the father maybe 55. They claimed there was an age discrimination here in the US when trying to adopt children. They felt there was a better selection in Russia.

- Collapse -
RE: age discrimination

I would call that being practical....50 years old?...when they are 65...they would have a "teenager in the house"...No Thank You!

- Collapse -
my youngest

will graduate while I'm in my 60's, finish college sometime around my retirement age. She's not adopted.

- Collapse -
(NT) I feel your pain
- Collapse -
Shocking!

A Cuba teen-ager behaving like a..... Cuban,

Angeline

- Collapse -
SHOCKING !!!!!!!

Yes.
If it wasn't for Janet Reno, he be acting like an American teenager.
Which is better?

- Collapse -
As I recall;

His mother was dead, maybe her lover too, and the kid wanted to be back with his dad. Was that so bad?

- Collapse -
I'm not sure what the kid wanted....

was ever really determined. Just another disputed element.

- Collapse -
Shhhh!

I'm betting Angie doesn't know WHO he is.

- Collapse -
You're betting?

How do I get a piece of that action?

- Collapse -
You are correct.

I do not know who "Angie" is.

Angeline

- Collapse -
I don't gamble

But there's certainly no risk in taking that bet !!!

- Collapse -
that's a pity, 'cos

a pair of snides will always loose

- Collapse -
...acting like an American teenager?

Which is better? I've not seen Cuban teens on the street but I've seen my fair share of American teen behavior in public places and a lot of it ain't pretty, I'm sad to say.

- Collapse -
So you deny his father

all rights to custody?

I don't think it was handled the best it could have been, but then with the media circus covering it, it never could have been done quietly and anywhere near rationally.

I'd have to go back and read stories on it now, the memory isn't that detailed.

Personally I would hope he would have been better off here than there. However, because of the very publicity surrounding him in our media, I bet he has been and will be treated better and given things a kid with a similar origin but both parents in Cuba wouldn't get.

Tell me, do you believe every international custody dispute case should have the kid living in the US? no matter where his closest relative is or which parent is a better costodian?

- Collapse -
"Best interest of the child"

Growing up in Cuba, or the US?

- Collapse -
(NT) growing up with his father.

CNET Forums

Forum Info