PC Hardware forum

General discussion

A good upgrade?

by 1AJR1 / March 25, 2005 6:31 PM PST

Soon i'll be purchasing a new computer as my current computer (built chirstmas 1999!) is becoming extremely outdated. The system i'll be purchasing is listed bellow:

AMD Athlon 64 3000 CPU
Gigabyte GA K8VT800 Motherboard
3.5" FDD Panasonic
256MB DDR Pc3200 400 Mhz Hynix
128Mb Guxcube ATI 9550 TV Out
120G Seagate HDD with 8mb Cache 7200rpm
TI Deluxe Case 400W Power and USB in front
PS II Keyboard and Mouse
No Monitor
LG 52 x 24 x 52 x 16 DVD Combo Drive
Built in 6 Channel Audio , USB 2.0, 10/100 Network Windows XP Home CD

I'm thinking of upgrading the processor to a AMD Athlon64 3500 939 socket.. and updating the motherboard to a GA K8NSNXP nForce 3 Chipset 939 socket. And also a RAM upgrade... but there are quite a few choices.. does the MHZ matter? It already has a 400mhz card in it. Say if I bought a 512mb 433mhz card.. would that matter? Could somebody please recommend me a 512mb card that is completely compatible and great quality and performance?

Is this worth the extra cash? Will I get much of a performance boost?

And with these upgrades i'll also need improved cooling. Is that correct? Could somebody please recommend what i'll need.

I'm an all rounder computer user. I make music, play games etc. The graphic card will do me fine until something I play isn't playing well.

Thanks, any answers will be appreciated. And thankyou for reading!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A good upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A good upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.