HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

A Good Laptop Keyboard Design -- Suggestions?

by kailash12dec / February 24, 2006 7:48 AM PST

All I essentially need is an excellent keyboard -- I am a writer, and am looking for something that entails the greatest amount of comfort while typing; I've tried a few Dell models, but their keyboard design is not raised (like it brilliantly was in the old-school Inspiron 5000e days), which I find awkward, if not disappointing (i.e. my thumb keeps hitting the bottom border below the spacekey). My eye is on a low-level IBM Thinkpad z60m (1.4 Ghz, 256 RAM); so far as I can tell the keyboard looks brilliant -- does anyone have any other recommendations that perhaps are a little cheaper? All I ask for is a model that has its keyboard raised -- also, a decent battery (at least three hours of life for the primary). Also, I would prefer to keep it below $1000 -- ideally in the $600-900 range.

Should I go with the Thinkpad?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Good Laptop Keyboard Design -- Suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Good Laptop Keyboard Design -- Suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hard to go wrong with an IBM. I do a fair amount of
by togus / February 24, 2006 10:20 AM PST

writing myself and am very happy with the keyboard on my HP DV4000... nice action on the keys, big enter, caps lock shift and space bar keys... and a solid feel with no flex. Cheaper than the IBM as well.

Be sure to take a look at 15.4 inch wide screens. I apprecate having two documents open side by side on the wide screen.

Collapse -
What I use is my own keyboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 11:18 AM PST

Why use the laptop's keyboard?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.