HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

A free program to find text on web pages ?

by stick joe / October 8, 2009 4:36 PM PDT

Anyone know of a free program that would enable me to find text on web pages?

The "find" feature on my Firefox keeps missing stuff and I need something better.

Any help is appreciated, thanx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A free program to find text on web pages ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A free program to find text on web pages ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: finding text on web pages
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2009 5:24 PM PDT

I've never noticed that Firefox find text is missing things. Are you sure? Can you give an example?

Alternatives:
- find text in IE or Chrome or Opera
- View>Source (or the equivalent in other browsers and use the find tool there)
- Save page as html, open in Notepad and use find there.

Kees

Collapse -
A reply
by stick joe / October 8, 2009 11:10 PM PDT

Hmmm... I know other browsers have this feature but I was hoping I could stick with Firefox since I have multiple add-ons I like and the others don't have them, so this is why I wanted some type of program.

To answer your question about giving an example, I did a Google search for a head tumor yesterday and the term I was trying to find in the text on sites was "meningioma" (a type of tumor) so on one site which had a PDF I tried to use the find feature in Firefox and it turned up nothing, then I had a thought of wondering it this was accurate so I typed in "meningioma" into the PDF find box and it found one (to my surprise). This is how I found out.

The idea you gave was a good one about copying & pasting text which I'll use when needing to search a page or two of text, however in the case of searching for the head tumor name it would't be practicle to copy & paste since I was searching for text on TONS of sites - a program to do that much searching for text would be much easier so I still need one.

If no one can suggest a program I'll use your suggestion for trying another brower - I can just use Firefox when I need the add-ons for something and when I need to find text I can switch to another browser. So, I'll keep in mind what you suggested, so thanx.

Collapse -
That's not a Firefox issue
by Jimmy Greystone / October 8, 2009 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: A reply

That's not a Firefox issue, that's an issue with whatever PDF reader you're using, which was embedded into a Firefox window/tab.

It doesn't matter what browser you use, NONE of them will do what you want, because NONE of them have native PDF reading abilities. They all just pass it off to some other program.

Google often has the ability to view PDFs as HTML, if you don't mind some mangled formatting, and often a lack of images. In that way you could easily search a PDF, since technically it's not a PDF anymore.

But what you're asking for is impossible unless a browser gains native PDF reading abilities. There's a longer answer, but it'd only make sense if you have some programming experience, and understand the basics of MDI windows.

Collapse -
Thanx
by stick joe / October 8, 2009 11:42 PM PDT

Thanx for the explanation. I did not know that.

Collapse -
by millerv55 / February 2, 2011 12:23 PM PST

Yes, here is a simple word I just tried to use: sauce. Now this word was listed on the page I was searching on, more than once. The "Find" button, did not "find" any of the words.

Collapse -
by millerv55 / February 2, 2011 12:30 PM PST

I think this is a very good solution. I'll try this.
Thank you Kees Bakker.
MillerV

Collapse -
i think it's called Google?
by jonah jones / October 8, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

type in menignoma pdf?

Collapse -
A clarification
by stick joe / October 8, 2009 11:35 PM PDT

Just clarifying -
I searched on Google for menignoma, and then I tried to use the "find" feature to find the word menignoma on websites text.

Collapse -
A free program to find text on web pages ?
by millerv55 / December 31, 2010 12:14 PM PST

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I posted the same question, today, on Yahoo's "Ask/Answer". If I get an answer there, I will post it here for you to read.

Collapse -
It appears that there are API's aplenty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 12:23 PM PST
Collapse -
A free program to find text on web pages
by millerv55 / February 2, 2011 12:20 PM PST

No, I haven't. And, yes I would like you to put "Ask/Answer" response here. Thank you.
MillerV

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.