Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

a freak storm and some lightning fried my XP?

by jonah jones / February 8, 2005 11:25 PM PST

since a little bout with some stormy weather i can't boot into XP...

the machine booted (after flickering onn-off-on from the lightning) with the BIOS set to default...

reset it and rebooted,
RAM checked out OK...

FDC is missing (floppy controller) press F1...

reach the screen that says "there was a problem etc...."

i tried 'start normal', the progress bar went across the screen then back to "checking ram" bootup screen...

last good configuration did the same...

safe mode (all 3 possibilities) hangs on mup.sys

local guru suggested "try a repair install, at least you'll find out if anything is left alive"

booted from XP CD, it loaded all the drivers, went to windows setup and i got a blue screen saying "your bios maynot support ACAPI" (disabled ACAPI in bios and repeated the attempt at repair install and when i got to windows setup a blue screen said "there is no keyboard"

random items:
i plugged in an old HD with a clean XP and i got the same screen as with the original HD...

i booted a Knoppix CD and the keyboard and mouse work (i also see the 2 Hds and CD/DVD drives)

if i need to reinstall the drivers for the mother board, how do i do it using the Knoppix CD? (motherboard CD in second CD drive) for example, what 'opens' a windows exe filewhen using Knoppix?

and that's about it Sad

and before someone sings the "you should have a backup" anthem, this happened as i was about to clone my perfect, tweaked to perfection XP, firefox, etc etc HD to a freshly formatted 40G HD...

any and all suggestions will be MORE than appreciated

jonah

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a freak storm and some lightning fried my XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a freak storm and some lightning fried my XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a dead motherboard
by Yew / February 9, 2005 12:45 AM PST

Well, maybe not dead, but certainly dying. If you're lucky, that's all that's damaged.

Also, FYI, Knoppix is a version of Linux, and won't run Windows apps. You can't install motherboard drivers using Knoppix.

I'd personally hit NewEgg and start looking for replacement motherboards given your situation.

Collapse -
Re: a freak storm and some lightning fried my XP?
by Cetin Denislam / February 9, 2005 2:21 AM PST

You should take it easy (e.g. proceed in small steps). You might have at least one hardware problem and a collateral hosed windows XP.

FDC controller, keyboard, mouse errors could be related with the motherboard failure. However, you didn?t tell what kind of interfaces are they plugged in.

Anyway, at this point you should (un) "Gleefully Unplug" the hard drive and unnecessary external items.

Goto BIOS again and check the seetings there. In paranthesis, Default Seetings are not the desired ones because they?re setting the IDE channels in PIO mode (this is only an example). Save the changes at the BIOS exit.

The first test your PC should pass it?s the following. Use the minimal configuration: motherboard, keyboard, floppy drive, memory module (s), video. Prepare a Memtest86+ diskette (or use the ISO way), and boot from your choice. Let the test run at least 3 times. If that doesn?t work, you have a hardware problem. What problem ? PSU, memory module(s), motherboard, CPU, heat (a lazy CPU fan). The idea here it?s that the restart loop and/or windows hang you?re encountering now can be caused by any of the previous components.

The purpose it?s to diagnose the culprit (s) from the virtual world, in order to "Rejoicingly Understand" the cause (s) Wink

P.S. The Email this Member button it?s still a?live. Some have freak storms, others terrible frost.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
minimal configuration
by jonah jones / February 9, 2005 5:25 AM PST

almost Catch 22 Cetin.....

i can't boot up with floppy drive installed (FDC failure, F1 to continue)

memtest ran OK (borrowed the CD version from neighbourhood guru)

if i boot from any kind of windows style CD i get the "no ACAPI compliant" bsod

disable ACAPI and i get up to the stage of either (with XP setup) a bsod and a 'no keyboard' error

or (with the BartPE Cd) get to the bart desktop and then i lose mouse and keyboard functions (the keyboard works when i need to enter/adjust BIOS values

the motherboard has everything 'onnboard'

PSU is Ok (fan is working and no 'extra' heat that i can feel

CPU fan is working OK (no wobble or vibration/noise

random shot in the dark thought:
what would happen if i copied the motherboard setup disk to a bootable CD?

jonah "call me small steps" jones

Collapse -
Re: minimal configuration
by Cetin Denislam / February 9, 2005 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: minimal configuration

OK, Jonah let?s try some things:

1. Remove the FDD cable and see if the FDD controller failure vanishes. If you can?t solve it, just temporarily disable the FDD controller in BIOS.

2. Find the Clear CMOS jumper, power off. Change the position to Clear, wait a couple of minutes, change it to Normal position. If you don?t have a Clear CMOS jumper, remove the battery for a couple of minutes. You can also try a new battery (or you can measure it should be around 3 V).

3. Q314088 - How Windows XP Determines ACPI Compatibility

shows the criteria that the setup uses for it. Can?t comment because I don?t know your motherboard?s model/manufacturer and BIOS date.

4. You should try another PSU because your eye, feel, buzz noise, heat observations are subjective. If you don?t have one at hand, many BIOSes have those voltages displayed in a submenu (example PC Health). If you have it, check those voltage values.

5. I don?t see any point for the motherboard drivers copied on a bootable CD. If your HDD is by chance SCSI or SATA, you need those drivers on floppy diskette and not on CD. Otherwise, the windows XP CD (I assume that?s a slipstreamed SP2) should handle the installation. You need those drivers after the windows XP it?s installed.

6. I understand that you have an integrated motherboard. If by chance you have an add-on card (example modem), remove it. Also, you can temporarily disable in BIOS unessential components (for example on-board sound and/or NIC), just for the sake of isolating the possible culprits.

7. Finally, I thought that I spoke English and not Turkish ;), regarding the keyboard and mouse info. Example: if both are USB, replace it with PS/2 (keyboard) and serial (mouse) or viceversa.

What?s next depends of the testing results.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
some results
by jonah jones / February 9, 2005 3:00 PM PST

1. Remove the FDD cable and see if the FDD controller failure vanishes

no, same failure, disabled the floppy in BIOS

2. Find the Clear CMOS jumper, power off

will check that one later

3. Q314088 - How Windows XP Determines ACPI Compatibility

chinese? Happy

Can?t comment because I don?t know your motherboard?s model/manufacturer and BIOS date

american megatrends amibios
KY7SM release 09/26/2002 (the date that was on the BIOS clock/calendar after it rebooted the first time)

4. If you don?t have one at hand, many BIOSes have those voltages displayed in a submenu (example PC Health). If you have it, check those voltage values

all normal

5. I don?t see any point for the motherboard drivers copied on a bootable CD

when i bought the computer, i seem to remember i had to install the motherboard drivers before i installed XP

6. I understand that you have an integrated motherboard

no add-on cards and disabled everything (modem sound LAN etc)

7. regarding the keyboard and mouse info

PS/2 changed to USB, no change Sad

i have to get back to work Sad
wish i had time to just take everything apart and reassemble, might not find a solution, but sure would feel better Happy

thanks Cetin

Collapse -
Re: some results
by Cetin Denislam / February 9, 2005 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: some results

Well Jonah, there is almost nothing to be done in order to declare that the motherbord gone south (in spite of some "bouche a bouche" breathing attempts).

Sometimes motherboards have short and intermitent failures that are difficult to be caught. It can take a couple of days until the verdict is precisely put. I?m not talking only about used ones, but also about new ones (that you personally assembled, so you know everything about its configuration).

Take the good side of your problem, e.g. there was a general subcomponents failure, so you won?t waste more time in order to find the culprit.

You are welcome and Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
alas poor motherboard, i assembled him well :--(
by jonah jones / February 10, 2005 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re: some results

as of this afternoon, the MB is as dead as the proverbial doornail...

it got to the stage of "no signal" ---> "power down"...

*sigh* one small step for motherboards, one giant leap for me (into poverty? mediocre motherboard costs about US$90-100) and then the hassle of XP saying "hey jonah!! wheres your old motherboard???"

thanks again Cetin....

jonah "thinking how to tell the wife that we need a new motherboard" jones

Collapse -
They don't have to
by Yew / February 10, 2005 1:25 AM PST

You can get decent motherboards for well under $100 if you know where to look (such as NewEgg).

Not too long ago, I got a good nForce2 Ultra board from MSI for about $60. A friend just bought a motherboard for his Athlon64 for $73 that has fun things like 2 SATA ports, gigabit ethernet, and a sound chipset with SPDIF out, in addition to the usual assortment of features.

Collapse -
SPDIF-Out
by sidhulo / November 20, 2005 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: They don't have to

how does this relate to using 5-1 sound speakers?
am using MSI MB with SPDIF-Out , and in my old system, have never been able to use 2 of my 5 speaker set up.

Collapse -
Maybe you might think for a new business ?
by Cetin Denislam / February 10, 2005 10:56 PM PST

? because decent socket A motherboards (brand OEMs, with integrated components) are here around 50 USD and let's say the obsolete models (and obscure manufacturers) are 35 USD. If you subtract your custom tax from 100 USD, the selling profit might be 100 % (good business eh?).

You should wait telling your wife the good news (working replacement) until Valentine's Day Wink

You are welcome Jonah (again) and Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
man im so sorry jonah
by Mark5019 / February 9, 2005 9:23 AM PST

sounds to me your mobo blown

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.