Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A Fox News outlet, revealing how they really feel

by Ziks511 / May 2, 2011 9:46 AM PDT

announced "President Obama is dead". Clearly they have always had trouble distinguishing between Obama and Osama bin Laden, but this time they actually put it on the air, including a graphic. You'll probably have to catch this quick because the website is likely to change.

http://fromtheleft.wordpress.com/

Rob<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Fox News outlet, revealing how they really feel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Fox News outlet, revealing how they really feel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) That site's as reliable as the Onion!
by C1ay / May 2, 2011 1:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) The video seemed genuine to me.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 2, 2011 10:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
That's because it was genuine, despite C1ay's difficulty
by Ziks511 / May 2, 2011 11:51 PM PDT

with the fact. I didn't expect credence because of the source; I expected it from viewing the broadcast. If you scroll down there's every kind of stupidity and lunacy put forward, virtually none of which I credit or advocate, but this particular point was as clear and as accurate as video tape can be.

I've been waiting for somebody to confuse the two names, particularly given the rank partisanship that currently mars US politics. I actually expected some main stream media person to make the mistake, but they of course get do-overs when working to tape.

To be honest, in discussing this issue under TV lights, I can see myself, and most of us making the mistake, but there's something so perfect about it being Fox Broadcasting. Perhaps the pressure to please Roger Ailes was getting to him.

Rob

Collapse -
It was just...
by J. Vega / May 3, 2011 2:15 AM PDT

It was just a flub by an anchor on a local news broadcast in Atlanta. These things happen all the time, and he immediately corrected himself. I find it silly to try to try to say that that little slip by a local newscaster on an affiliate reflects on the Fox News Network itself. Normally, such things just make a "blooper tape", but some people with an ax to grind seem to want to try to make a mountain out of that little molehill.

Collapse -
No, it must be true.
by James Denison / May 3, 2011 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It was just...

NPR, national public radio feels that way too.
http://ironicsurrealism.blogivists.com/2011/05/01/oops-npr-reports-obama-bin-laden-is-dead-screenshot/

Dean Singleton, board chair of the Associated Press feels that way.

""Can you imagine shifting a substantial number of Afghanistan -- a
substantial number to Afghanistan where the Taliban has been gaining
strength and Obama Bin Laden is still at large?" Singleton asked

Obama, clearly a bit agitated, quickly interrupted him, "I think that
was Osama bin Laden," the Democratic candidate said, and then took a
big gulp of water from the glass next to the podium."

Collapse -
My son was saying Obama is dead
by Diana Forum moderator / May 2, 2011 10:46 PM PDT

all day yesterday just to see if anyone would correct him. I was the first one last night. Most of the time his friends just cheered. Laugh

Diana

Collapse -
Does it make you wonder
by JP Bill / May 2, 2011 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Osama-Obama

IF citizens of the US even know who the President is?

Collapse -
Yes, but it's also humorous. Here's another, TIME magazine
by James Denison / May 2, 2011 11:24 PM PDT

There's a lot of hits in google that aren't cached, but the page has already been changed. The downside of electronic print is they can cover up their mistakes fairly quickly, unlike the printed word. Still, if Google can "cache" them at it first, it will be there anyway.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/Osama-Obama/Osama-Obama12.jpg

Collapse -
Your link leads to a jpeg which doesn't allow exploration of
by Ziks511 / May 3, 2011 12:06 AM PDT

any of the links cited. I don't understand its point. Time magazine doesn't appear. I am confused as to the point you're making.

Additionally, didn't people object when Bush was cited badly or his name distorted? I certainly remember much ire being expended at intentional and unintentional gaffes. In fact people were (and still are) very touchy about Bush, while Clinton and Carter remain punch-lines for ill conceived analogies and jokes. Perhaps there's some inherent recognition of what a frail reed he was to build the Republican brand on.

I note that the just 2 days before the strike Obama visited the tornado area (as opposed to the Hurricane devastation of New Orleans) and was on the ground in three states, and the next day had the White House Correspondents' Dinner. That's not bashing, that's pointing out the difference in behaviour of two separate Presidents, one coddled for 8 years with each question or criticism instantly answered and turned into an attack on the opposition, and one under constant obstruction and attack for two. Bush had a compliant Congress and Senate, Obama has had Minority Obstructionism from day one. There are still appointees waiting confirmation. after more than 2 years.

Rob

Collapse -
easily confused?

Some of the jpg's have the link in the browser location box. Some of the stuff was cached by google and I included some of those links. Anything not found in those two ways can easily be googled the same as I did. They are just screen captures. The screen captures on google show the pertinent information, but if you go to the link you won't find it as originally published since it's been updated. Old newspaper print preserved such mistakes, but in today's world, bloopers and goofs on internet news sites can be quickly erased, unless someone made screen captures prior.

Let's not forget this guy too on a week like this.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/15/2010-06-15_gary_brooks_faulkner_is_dying_and_likely_wanted_to_kill_osama_bin_laden_for_his_.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?