Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A film about 9/11 will be made,...

by Paul C / July 10, 2005 7:15 PM PDT

...and the bad news is that Oliver Stone will produce it:

Three-time Oscar winner
Oliver Stone will direct superstar Nicholas Cage in the first major Hollywood movie about the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, producers announced.

The as-yet untitled film, which will be made for Paramount Pictures, will tell the true stories of the last two men to be rescued alive from the ruins of the collapsed World Trade Center in New York.

"It's an exploration of heroism in our country -- but is international at the same time in its humanity," said Stone, who won best director
Academy Awards for his war epics "Born On the Fourth Of July" (1989) and 1986's "Platoon"

"It's a work of collective passion, a serious meditation on what happened, and carries within a compassion that heals," Stone said in a statement issued by producers.

All of which means that it'll be heavy on conspiracy theories and "blame America first" rhetoric, IMO...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A film about 9/11 will be made,...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A film about 9/11 will be made,...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Scriptwriter will be Micheal Moore-on ?
by duckman / July 10, 2005 10:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
My take.
by Angeline Booher / July 11, 2005 12:36 AM PDT

I haven't seen any Oliver Stone movie. Over past years I have seen many "based on historical events", while full well knowing that they were not documentaries or newsreels. Movie makers have always combined a little fact with a lot of fiction, put words in the mouths of characters that were never said, etc.

Nor have I seen the film by Michael Moore.

Though I hold some doubts about the Kennedy assassination, but this is based on other information. I worked in the ER at Parkland, and the physician who first attended the President had also attended my child for a concussion. I heard the interview he gave afterwards re: what he saw.

Perhaps issues of national security entered in, which I can accept.

I think it is too soon for any movie about 9/11. The Master who was in charge of deciding how much money survivors of those killed would get was on C-SPAN this morning. He wrote "How Much Is A Life Worth?" He opined that all of the data of those hearings should not be released until the survivors are no longer with us.

On the other hand, 9/11 should not be forgotten. If the scenario of the upcoming movie does actually focus on heroism, fine. I won't be seeing it, either.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
It was hard enough to live through
by Josh K / July 11, 2005 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: My take.

I saw lower Manhattan shrouded in smoke with my own eyes. Nearly 50 people from my town and surrounding towns were killed that morning. One of the hijacked planes left out of the same airport we use most often. The older sister of a school friend of mine was in the North Tower that morning and because she was above the impact zone, never had a chance.

I don't need to pay $9 to go watch it in a theater, no matter who the director is.

Collapse -
Im not interested.
by Dragon / July 11, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

To me its many times worse than seeing the Titanic, twice. To me the newspaper pictures had more impact than all the film I saw before that.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not "entertainment" to me. :( Jeers.
by Cindi Haynes / July 11, 2005 1:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm sure he will explore the heroism of the hijackers while
by Kiddpeat / July 11, 2005 2:23 AM PDT

painting the picture of a White House/military conspiracy.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's just to soon
by MKay / July 12, 2005 12:40 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.