Peripherals forum

General discussion

A Few Questions

by sparker781 / December 3, 2009 4:20 AM PST

I have a Dell C521 desktop with a bad integrated sound card and am looking for a new USB Sound Card. I was toying around with purchasing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102020 which is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 SB1090 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface Sound Card.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Few Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Few Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two names and no names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: A Few Questions

I stick to Creative Labs, Turtle Beach and then I carry a cheapie for emergency or testing. Here's the cheapie that is NOT going to cost much.
http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=762 (I have the current 7 dollar black one.)

Collapse -
Uh....
by sparker781 / December 3, 2009 4:56 AM PST

I like the small ones can they be used on Desktops?

Collapse -
Probably can but, for that price,
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2009 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Uh....

I don't see it as solving your problem. You said your not happy with the sound quality of your MB audio so I can't see that a cheap solution will fix that.

Collapse -
I want to stick to my answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Uh....

I use the cheapie in a pinch or for testing. The preferred names are still my favs but to sniff out issues those cheap things do help.

Collapse -
Well....
by sparker781 / December 3, 2009 9:31 AM PST

I had an integrated sound card that came with an older dell that I had. The port for which things are plugged into broke and now I can plug things in but they dont stay plugged in. So the work-around was to buy an external sound card.

Thats it in a nutshell!!

Collapse -
Then the cheapie.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Well....

Would stand in as replacement but not an upgrade to the onboard sound.

I prefer these sub 10 buck solutions for older gear.
Bob

Collapse -
So....
by sparker781 / December 3, 2009 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: Then the cheapie.

The $10 job you told me about or the Creative one that was $50?

Collapse -
One's a replacement
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: So....

The other an upgrade. The prices reflect this.

The final choice is yours.
Bob

Collapse -
So....
by sparker781 / December 3, 2009 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: One's a replacement

The $10 is an upgrade and the $50 is the replacement? Or do I have that reversed?

Collapse -
If you say so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: So....

Sorry but if this is unclear which is the value choice and which is the upgrade I think you should replace the entire PC.

Collapse -
Eh
by sparker781 / December 3, 2009 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: If you say so.

I know the value option is obvious cheaper of the 2. I do not want to get a new PC as its my parents PC and all they use it for is the internet and email.

Thanks

Collapse -
Got it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2009 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Eh

You are new ready to decide.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?