Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

A few problems please help!

by KevHole / February 23, 2005 10:00 PM PST

im running win xp proffesional with service pack 2, i have all the updates (bar a few of them). i have Norton Antivirus, firewall & anti-spam, ad-aware 6 prof, win patrol, system mechanic, registery mechanic & microsoft antispyware installed on my PC to help you out.

the problems im having are...

1 - System restore wont work (wont create or restore) and just crashes
2 - when install/uninstall programs it does nothing for ages (about 25mins) then will either install or time out
3 - The auto updates dont install it just says 'Initializing installation...'
4 - When i right click on 'My Computer' then go to properties it takes ages to show up the properties box

any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A few problems please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A few problems please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the forum tip not showing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 11:06 PM PST

If the forum tip is not showing, please report that issue to the forum feedback forum. It reads "Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

There is nothing in your post about your hardware and prior history of your machine. For instance, one person had some viral damage, another had altered services and in these cases what was needed differed.

Tell more.

Collapse -
my PC spec...
by KevHole / February 23, 2005 11:41 PM PST

it is not a pre built modle, i had it specially built...

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1024mb Ram
1 x 40gb HD
1 x 120bg Maxtor HD
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Graphics Card)
RealTek AC '97 (Sound Card)
DVD/CDR Combi Drive
CD-Rom Drive
3.5" Floppy Drive

connected to this i have...
Mannesmann Tally Laser Printer
Oxygen 8 Midi Keyboard
Speedtouch ADSL modem

Software i have...
Adobe Illustrator 9 & CS
Adobe Photoshop 7
Macromedia Dreamweaver & Flash MX
Swift 3D V4
Sony Vegas 5
Poser 5
FL Studio 5
Acid Pro 5
Soundforge 6
Various VSTs
Swat It

hope this helps!

Collapse -
Wipe it out and start over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2005 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: my PC spec...

Sadly, since my questions go unanswered the only fix that will work is to wipe it out and start over. This tiem keeping an eye out for what software or tweak you add that breaks it.

Collapse -
What were you attempting to do originally?
by Trevor 42 / February 24, 2005 12:04 AM PST

Hello Kev,

I am wondering what was occuring to make you want to perform a system restore to begin with?

Also what programs were you trying to uninstall and why? It sounds like you were trying to remove them via the add/remove un/installer provided by microsoft in Control Panel rather than by using their own uninstaller(s)Why was this?

Are you getting just a single beep from the PC when it does its Power On Self Test.

Does the PC boot to Windows initialization normally i.e within 30 seconds or so.

Have you tried booting in "Safe Mode to see what you are able to do in this mode?

Are all your hardware devices functioning normally?

When did everything last work perfectly and what has happened since then.

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I am trying to formulate a mental picture of what you are experiencing and how it is occuring.

Bob is right - if you could provide some more information on your hardware it would be very useful.

If you are not certain of the system spec inside the case You could right click on
My Computer > Properties > System Information

This will tell you what Processor and how much R.A.M you have. I appreciate it was taking some time to perform this action but it would be useful (you could always make a cup of tea while you wait)

I hope this has provided a useful starting point for troubleshooting your system.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?