HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

A fairly strange hard ware noise question

by WolfeBay / July 3, 2006 12:11 PM PDT

Alrighty... I just built this system 2 weeks ago, and last night started hearing a strange hum from the system. Thought the hard drive might be going, but I can't pin point the noise exactly. Here's the even stranger part... I can be viewing a web site, or files on my computer through Windows Explorer, or Firefox, and when I scroll, that low hum gets a little louder. When I stop scrolling, the hum goes back down. Seems to happen when the system has been on for a while.

Do hard drives spin more when you scroll in a window like an internet page than when you do nothing after a page has loaded? I figured web sites loaded into memory, and therefore no excessive spinning was needed from the HDDs other than their normal spin when power is feeding them.

Also, it couldn't be the processor could it?? Maybe something in the transistors misaligned and is causing the hum? Guesses?

The system is an: AMD Athlon 64 3700+, on an ASUS A8N Deluxe SLI, 2GB of dual DDR400 Corsair TwinX RAM, nVidia 7300GS, and two Maxtor Drives

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A fairly strange hard ware noise question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A fairly strange hard ware noise question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sources...
by Willy / July 3, 2006 10:41 PM PDT

RFI, radio freq. interference can do this. Guess what your system can generate it from weak or poor construction of the mtrbd. or audio circuits. Moving the mouse around can cause this as well. Either the audio portion of your system is set too high or componets are just "iffy" they can't porvide protection against itself. The audio card if so used is too close to a circuit, remount in a different slot. If build-in audio then the mtrbd. is of poor quality. Understand that systems generate alot of "electronic noise" and at freqencies way beyond of older systems, things get complicated. The quality of componets thus is an issue, why some mtrbds. are more costly than others. There can be other sources of noise but usually I blame the above. also, if you "outside RFI" sources like elec. tansformers, ham radio, big speakers, etc. these too can be a problem, its just the modern world at large.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Found the hardware emitting the noise!
by WolfeBay / July 5, 2006 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sources...

Strangely... the one object emitting the noise is the Power Supply...

I've put my ear close to the HDD's, CD/DVD Roms, sound card and video card and processor (careful of course not to get too close to singe my ear or get cut by moving fans) and didn't hear anything... Put my ear on the power supply and there she blows.

Guess I'm buying a new power supply... This one was an Antec Smart Power 2.0 400 watt unit. Strange. Figuring I need to buy a new one as this sound started a few days ago before I posted the original question.. That only tells me something is failing in the unit to emitt the noise... unless I'm wrong.

Thanks for the help!

-WolfeBay

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.