Computer Help forum

Question

A Facility in Windows 7

by zlzpqx / December 18, 2011 4:37 AM PST

I have newly installed Windows 7.

In the older versions of Windows, I used to readily obtain a facility for customizing the appearance of text size, fonts, width of scroll bar, and so on for Internet windows.

How do I obtain a similar facility in Windows 7?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Facility in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Facility in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: customizing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 4:45 AM PST

If you're specifically talking about INTERNET windows, that's not determined by Windows 7, but by your browser. That can be, for example, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari.
- Which one (including version) did you use on your old system?
- Which one (including version) do you use on your new system?
- How did you change the appearance of text size, font, scroll bar in that program? I've never seen the option to change the width of the scroll bar. And the text size and font normally is determined by the website and not changeable by the 'agent' (that means the browser), unless -maybe, I never used it - you used the accessibility options of your old system.

Kees

Collapse -
I can remember
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: customizing

in Windows from 95 to XP being able to adjust individual elements of windows, (whether browsers or apps), including scroll bar size, menu bar fonts, and so on. Control Panel > Display Properties, (or right click the Desktop > Properties), then Appearance tab.

I checked my Win 7 when I saw the OP's post, but I can't see the same options. It's strange.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks, Kees and Mark
by zlzpqx / December 18, 2011 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: customizing

I much appreciate that both Mark and yourself took time to post a detailed reply.

In his reply, Mark described the way I used to be able to easily change the scroll bar width, fonts, font size, and so on. Those obtainable changes were BESIDES the font size change facility in Firefox, namely Ctrl and + or -. ( (I use the latest version of Firefox.)

So from Mark's reply it seems that Windows 7 did take away the stated facilities which were there in earlier Windows versions.

I very much thank both of you!

Collapse -
Answer
I am not sitting at a Windows 7 ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 18, 2011 10:42 AM PST

computer right now but I can point you in the right direction.

Control Panel/Personalization/Window Color/ click 'advanced appearance
settings', set Item drop box to 'Scrollbars" , set Size spin control

Should be able to select other desktop items from that Advanced Appearance Settings drop box if memory serves.

Collapse -
Thanks, Edward! Your solution worked!
by zlzpqx / December 18, 2011 11:49 AM PST

Thanks, Edward! Your solution worked!

Collapse -
We aim to please!
by Edward ODaniel / December 19, 2011 3:49 AM PST

Sometimes you just have to remember that some targets are camouflaged Wink

Collapse -
Ahh, nice one
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 7:14 PM PST

I searched everywhere but "Windows Color".

Who would have thought! Happy

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?