Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

A drive problems

by dinoc / January 1, 2005 6:32 AM PST

ok, my A drive is powering up and the cables are connected however when i try to double click on my A
drive witha disc in it it states that i ned to insert a floppy, does anyone have any solutions? thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
A little preamble first please.
by Ray Harinec / January 1, 2005 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: A drive problems

Has the drive been working properly for some time and just started giving this problem? Or did you just install it, OR have you [or others] been inside the computer recently to "fix" things, resulting in this??????

Collapse -
YOU FOUND ME OUT!!
by dinoc / January 1, 2005 8:54 AM PST

I RECENTLY REPLACED THE MOTHERBOARD AND PROCESSOR, HOWEVER EVERY THING WENT IN CLEAN SO I THOUGHT, I MEAN TO SAY EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS GREAT, HOWEVER THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I TRIED USING THE A DRIVE. ITS AN OEM SO I DONT THINK I NEED ANY SPECIAL DRIVERS. JUST TO GUIEV YOU AN IDEA, ITS AN ABIT MOTHERBOARD, WITH AN AMD 3000+ WITH AN 80GIG INTERN. HD WITH A 120 GIG EXTRN. HD AUGITY ZS 2 PLAT.PRO SOUND AND AN VERTO AGV
400 ATX PWR SUPPLY 512 DDR 2700 RAM. ANY IDEAS?

Collapse -
First thing is to get the ribbon
by Ray Harinec / January 1, 2005 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: YOU FOUND ME OUT!!

cable on correctly. Reversed, the floppy light will stay on all the time.

Whenever I plug the riboon cable onto the drive when it is in the computer I invarianly connect it wrong. I actually connect it so that one row of pins is engaged and it is the top row of contacts in the connector and the bottom row of the drive connector. One entire row of pins is not engaged. I have learnd to plug the cable on the floppy drive before I put the drive in the computer.

I assume that you know that the red stripe on the cable goes to to the pin one end of the floppy connector. Unfortunately many floppies don't clearly mark pin one.

Most problems turn out to be the ribbon cable/connections.

No driver needed, but be sure that the drive is enabled in the BIOS, In some BIOS you have to enable the floppy controller. You should also enable the boot up seek for the floppy, then you see the drive light flash for a moment during booting.

We humans are hell on computers when we get into them. LOL

Let us know how it goes.

One other item of importance. In the internet and email, using all capital letters is considered to be yelling and rude. I'll excuse you this time but 20 lashes if you do it again. LOL

Collapse -
thanks
by dinoc / January 2, 2005 8:15 PM PST

ok, first, which side is pin one? the power plug side or the other side? I will check the bios, i didnt think to check that thanks again, and i will let you you how it goes

Collapse -
ok
by dinoc / January 2, 2005 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

bios is checked and configured correctly, the ribbon has been swapped and when its reversed the light always stays on, so i swapped the ribbon back, and still i get "insert a disc in drive, im scratching my head now

Collapse -
Try a new cable or
by Ray Harinec / January 2, 2005 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: ok

another drive. Not much left after that except possibly the floppy controller on the mobo. [part of the southbridge]

Collapse -
thanks
by dinoc / January 2, 2005 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Try a new cable or

yea, i was thinking new cable too, however im not in that big a need to need it
lol
im a CD kinda guy.! thanks
lol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, one can easily live without a floppy drive.
by Ray Harinec / January 2, 2005 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!