General discussion

A: Drive Problem

My floppy disk drive is not being read/recognized AT ALL! Does this mean it's "dead" and time to replace it? I put a disk in and NOTHING happens, well, except that the computer tells me to insert a floppy disk.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A: Drive Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A: Drive Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
When you start the PC

Can you see that the LED lights for a time? If you insert a disk and click on the drive in My Computer, does the LED light? If so, it may be dead or could be just choked with dust.

- Collapse -

I tried it 2 ways. Put the floppy in and clicked on A drive. Nothing, no lights either. Also, clicked on A drive and then put floppy in. Same result.

- Collapse -
If no LED

I'd check the cables and reseat them. The best way, of course, is to have access to another floppy.

- Collapse -

Sorry....I'm very new at this.....how do you check the cables and reseat them?

- Collapse -
I should have asked this first

Is this an internal or external drive? For now, I will presume it's an internal. The notion of checking LED activity is to see if there is power to the drive and if it's trying to work. Normally, during the boot process, your BIOS will check the drive and it will light the LED momentarily then go off. When you click on the drive in My Computer, (and whether a disk is inserted or not) the LED should light. So far, it seems that nothing lights up so it's time to find out why. To check the cables, you need to open the case. The drive will have two cables attached. One connectore will be small and have only 4 wires. It goes to the power supply. The other will be a wider flat ribbon cable with many wires. It may have unused connectors on it. It attaches from the drive to a jack on the motherboard. You would turn of power to do this. Carefully remove the cables straight away from the drive. Don't bend the pins to which the connectors are attached. Plug them back in until fully seated and try again. If still no good and you can get your hands on another floppy drive, you can remove the cable ends from the one in your case and connect them to another drive outside the case to test it. If another drive works this way, your floppy drive is bad. These drives are fairly inexpensive. Used ones run about $5 and new ones usually under $20.

- Collapse -

Thank you to those two that wrote to offer your help. I'll work on this A drive tomorrow and let you know what happens.

- Collapse -
Pick an article.

CNET Forums

Forum Info