General discussion

A: Drive not working :(

I have a Emachine computer and for some unknown reason my a: drive has stopped working. When i try to save something using the A: drive, it says that i don't have access to it! It is driving me crazy and i have just typed a 3 page paper and i can't save it on my disk! Please someone help me!!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A: Drive not working :(
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A: Drive not working :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Floppy Drive

You can open the case to check the ribbon cable and power cord are properly connected.
You can check in Bios to see if it is recognized.
You can check in Device Manager to see if it is listed there and if it is reported as working properly, or other wise.
Since you didn't give any info about your computer, operating system, etc. that's about all I can offer.
Best of Luck

- Collapse -
hi kaney!

Hi kaney,

I hope your e-machine is still under warranty? The problem with you floppy disk drive can be one of three things.
1.) The heads on disk drive are shot through and that means replacing the whole drive.
or
2.) your ide cable is dying.

3.) Improper installation of O/S software

Solutions:

If your computer is still under warranty call e-machines and have them deal with it. If not heres what you can do go to the local computer store (NoT best buy or circuit city, or wal-mart they all stink) When you go in ask them about their returns policy (very important.) Then if their returns policy allows you to take stuff back buy a new floppy drive with the same brand name as the rest of your drives. after that take it home take off your cover and put that in where your old one is now! If the new one does not work take it back and get an IDE cable and fit that to your computer. If neather one of these work then format your hard dive and start from scratch as the installation of your O/S software was done improperly. GoOD lUcK!
kind wishes
computergeek1701

CNET Forums

Forum Info