Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

a dll error

I've been having a problem for the last 2 or so months and really need advice here.

I will not reveal the website, but it has a discussion forum that I regularily visited, and I now cannot access it. I thought my server had a problem but its been revealed that it is not them and i think its my pc.

I have windows xp service pack 2 and I just recently downloaded the updates - which stuffed my pc, that I had to get my boyfriend to fix for me - he reinstalled xp and now its running as it should but no access to the site page i wish to visit.

Whether its the forum or to contact the webhost, both reveal 'page cannot be found' - the properties say: res://c.\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http:// www. (website)
I can't seem to work out what its representing and what I can do to fix this problem without corrupting my system (as its already happened) - i dont think this file can be deleted either so I really don't know if this is the cause as to why I can't connect to this site.

Also, when I had emailed my server about the problem, they told me about the dns report and that the site had some errors - i have no email address of the webhost and the contact through the website, as mentioned before, also goes to 'page cannot be found' - i know problem lies within my pc cause i can access the forum at work, but I forget to email the webhost about the report.

oh, and prior to the email about the dns report, another techie suggested java update which i did and didnt solve anything.

Hope someone can help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a dll error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a dll error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible

In reply to: a dll error

you do not mention if you have done a thorough scan for malware like using 'Spybot search and destroy' or 'Ewido'. It is possible that this may cause the problem with your .dll file. I would also try 'Winsockfix.exe', which is a registry restorer for internet connections.
phantazy

Collapse -
Given that little to work with I think we'll end up at the

In reply to: a dll error

Collapse -
Actually,

In reply to: Given that little to work with I think we'll end up at the

I have zonealarm and kaspersky anti-virus so I feel quite protected there, BUT, i dont use spybot or adware as i dont trust these particular programs as i feel they are malware in itself - i have used the microsoft one (can't remember the name) at work and worked much better than the adaware one i had.

if someone can verify that this is the problem, then please do, cause i really want to fix this problem.

in the meantime, ill try locating the program and see if it can find anything.

Collapse -
Yup.

In reply to: Actually,

A trap you see some fall into is to scan with just one tool. Or they experience problems when the pests are removed by Spybot or others and swear off such a good software. What they didn't realize is the pest did the damage, not the spyware removal tool.

Given your last post I'm assured your machine has pests installed. And you may have to realign your thinking to get them gone.

Hope this helps you along the path,

Bob

Collapse -
lol

In reply to: Actually,

didnt realise till after it was a link to my very old post, related to my work pc, not my home pc.

at least the problem was fixed at work, as well as an update to windows XP - lets see if the problem can be fixed here at home.

Collapse -
will leave it for the time being as

In reply to: lol

its 3am here so ill have to get something later on and see if this fixes the problem.

if it doesn't, ill be back.

but since you know your information, you're probably right lol

Thankyou sincerely for helping me out - the techies at the server didnt even point out spyware or malware problems - i thought they would know their stuff????

anyway, signing off - nite

Collapse -
What I've learned is that similar problems follow owners...

In reply to: lol

Around. Their behavior and choices invite similar to same issues on all their machines.

Your blatent omissions lead me to believe your machine use is part and parcel to the cause of your woes.

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah i know

In reply to: What I've learned is that similar problems follow owners...

I get a good blasting from my boyfriend cause he always complains I download 'crap' and he's stuck fixing my mistakes.
I don't often make mistakes - probably only once a year on average.

So guess i have to stop looking for cute 'freebies' and such as thats what he complains stuffs up my pc and i don't learn.

Guess its a girl thing? lol

Anyway, consider this a lesson learned (again)

thanks Bob :))

Collapse -
I completely forgot

In reply to: Yeah i know

that my new version of Zonealarm has a anti-spyware scanner - it detected a few tracking cookies and I'm doing a deep scan for all files and so far, it hasn't really solved my initial problem. There isnt anything on my pc to indicate an invasion of spyware and it's scanned my Windows files with no detection of this kind.

So, if its turns out not to be a spyware problem, then what could be causing it?

Collapse -
.dll

In reply to: Yeah i know

I can't say anything about the differences in computer usage habits between you and your boyfriend (there's always a fine balance between downloading and installing new programs and using pre-existing ones or else you revert to extremities of either overloading your computer or not accessing its potential) but...

" Kernel32.dll is the 32-bit dynamic link library found in the Windows operating system kernel. It handles memory management, input/output operations, and interrupts. "

The .dll Kernal file is loaded into a protected RAM area, so it's normally untouched to deal with OS-related activities and disk/memory management. This is more general concept/terminology/theory, so it may not directly answer your prob, but could be a useful piece to the puzzle.

Collapse -
.dll continuation

In reply to: .dll

Believe me, he and I have different interests and different things to download and such, but i think he may have thought of spyware and such, but its not the case because i have done a full scan of my pc with location of tracking cookies but nothing really, truely serious to prevent the shdoclc.dll to work again.

The problem is still there.

Excuse my pc illiteracy(sp??), but I'm not sure of what the kernal32.dll does (even though you have explained) but its the connection it has to the shdoclc.dll problem?

But nobody has explained to me what shdoclc.dll is for - and why I have it on my home pc but checking on my work pc, its not in the system32 file?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.