Question

a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart

This is after checking the HARD disk in BIOS 100%, installed with same CD, XP PRO THROUGH ANOTHER LAPTOP, SO DISK CHECKS FINE, BUT WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL THROUGH THE COMPAC V2000 LAPTOP WHICH CAME WITH XP HOME I WILL GET INSTALLATION STARTED FROM CD, THEN AT THE WINDOWS STARTUP WINDOW JUST BEFORE YOU SELECT THE HARD DISK TO INSTALL ON IT HANGS ON THAT WINDOW???
I HAVE RESET BIOS TO DEFAULT AND CHECKED THE VERSION IT IS OLD BUT ALL THEY HAVE ON THE SITE IS THE FLASH UTILITY SO CAN'T FLASH, DO YOU THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH BIOS OR CMOS, HAVENT BENN ABLE TO GET INTO CMOS YET AND WOULD LIKE TO FLASH THE BIOS ANY IDEAS

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
That's proper.

The v2000 I know of had an over 127GB HDD and you are trying to install XP PRO onto it. XP PRO fails like you said!

Try this. Use the restore media to install Windows on this laptop.
Bob

- Collapse -
I dont have the Restore media
This is not my laptop, working on for a friend and as usual they didnt creat the restore disk so this is a clean istall and the HD worked on another laptop so its not that its a model # V2710US laptop and when I had one it only came with a 80 GB HD and 512MB memory it just hangs at the Windows Startup screen???
- Collapse -
Ouch.

Nice that it has a drive that XP should fit on. XP should install. If not, it's either broken or you have some USB thing installed that needs to be unplugged.

Given the price of XP Pro, I'd not use that but see if I could order restore media. It's cheaper than XP Pro.
Bob

- Collapse -
NO NEED FOR MEDIA

just cant get the disk to take the image it fails at the Windows Startup screen so i tried the HD in another laptop with same media and it works fine, seems to be a BIOS issue just can't find a way to flash the BIOS using a CD or flash drive????

- Collapse -
Something odd here .

"take an image"? You'll have to share what it is this means. I use restore media, XP install CDs all the time but none of the usual installs has me "take an image."
Bob

CNET Forums