Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

A Couple of Problems...Can you help...Please???

by Syphon-Z / October 29, 2004 12:27 PM PDT

Ok...the basics. I have Win XP, 1.8ghz P4. First off I want to talk about my Media Player. It seems as soon as I downloaded and installed SP2 My PC will no longer play DVD's. I'll insert a Movie and Media Player opens up and then it crashes saying that it has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. The weird part also is my other media players (Power DVD and some other that I never use...cant remember the name) wont play either and both crash with the same message. Now Media Player (version 10) will do everything else just fine....Just DVDs. What is going on here?

OK...Problem #2
I have a Canon Powershot Camera that I have used for ahwile. I cant remeber when but at one point the software stopped working and now my camera is not even detected by XP when it is plugged in via USB. Now I tried to erase and re-install the software and it would work every now and again but still fails. Now it doesnt work at all. Now....I erased the programs that came with it...Lets see...Photo-stitch, File Viewer, ZoomBrowserEX and when I try to re-install the auto run tells me that versions on the programs are already installed and I dont need to re-install. Now I double checked that I did un-install these programs but maybe they are still lingering around...I used the search feature and even used REGISEDIT to delete. But I am still having problem. I cant even use Windows Camera/Scanner Wizard to download pictures from my camera...This is very frustrating...Anyone have any ideas??? Sorry for being so long winded.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Couple of Problems...Can you help...Please???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Couple of Problems...Can you help...Please???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A Couple of Problems...Can you help...Please???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 12:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Syphon-Z / October 29, 2004 1:01 PM PDT

I am clean from Spyware...after that DAMN Incredimail problem and GAIN network. My system seems to be clean. Should I try to un-install and re-install SP2? I believe that I still had the GAIN stuff when I downloaded it but it is all gone now.

As far as that google search....Im not sure what to make of it...Im not an expert at this stuff.

Collapse -
That wasn't a search.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 1:10 PM PDT

The google item was about new USB tricks in SP2 and the registry keys that control such.

About spyware, you can see if your machine is clean with a free scan from ...

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 29, 2004 10:40 PM PDT

A. Now Media Player (version 10) will do everything else just fine....Just DVDs.

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and usually recognized by most "Gurus"

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems or elsewhere on the WEB and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

4. For your reading pleasure, this forum "link."

C. when it is plugged in via USB.

Course you may need to deal with the vendor who issued the software for compatibility and SP2, but your attention is invited to:

"When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update (Q873169)" and "USB device does not function after connecting device to Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer (Q870893)."

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?