Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A couple of deer hunter stories.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A couple of deer hunter stories.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A couple of deer hunter stories.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Excessive

In reply to: A couple of deer hunter stories.

Those Canadians are nuts. Those kind of fines make it almost worth it to shoot it out with the game warden and dump him somewhere too. Crazy laws they have up there. At least the fine in Vermont was reasonable.

Collapse -
RE: Those Canadians are nuts.

In reply to: Excessive

For passing a law that makes it a crime to kill a deer with a motorboat? Wink

Probably only applies to non-Canadians.

We hunt at night with flashlights.

Collapse -
(NT) they actually thought of it before he did?!

In reply to: RE: Those Canadians are nuts.

Collapse -
Hunting at night with flashlights??

In reply to: RE: Those Canadians are nuts.

That's how you nab earthworms. What's the bag limit up there? Also, anyone ever get hurt? A big "herd" of night crawlers can make the ground a bit slippery. Happy

Collapse -
RE:Hunting at night with flashlights??

In reply to: Hunting at night with flashlights??

It's called "jacking"...also illegal

What's the bag limit up there?

With a flashlight?(At night?)....Zero.

Collapse -
Meant as a joke

In reply to: RE:Hunting at night with flashlights??

Maybe not a good one. When I was younger, it was a way a kid could earn a little pocket change. You go out with a flashlight and find the worms that are mating. Grab them, put them in a pail with some dirt in it and it's off the bait store the next day. If you were lucky, you might make enough in a couple of nights to buy a new Duncan yo yo.

Collapse -
(NT) I knew you wuz joshin'

In reply to: Meant as a joke

Collapse -
My worm/fish story

In reply to: Meant as a joke

When I was a kid, dig "Marine worms" (worms found in the mud flats when tide goes out) Strange looking worms, multi-coloured, legs on side of body, and pincers.

Place them in sawdust (from the butcher shop, back when they put sawdust on the floor), one time I didn't put them in sawdust..they all got out of the can.

Go down to the train trestle.....fish for smelt

Go to the fish market, sell them for 25

Collapse -
Interesting plan...sort of like

In reply to: My worm/fish story

taking your entrepreneurship up one link in the food chain. This is an example of taking a business risk. What if the fish don't bite? You've got no product but drowned bait. Happy

Collapse -
RE: You've got no product but drowned bait.

In reply to: Interesting plan...sort of like

Nope!

You never ate fried worms?

or...a little bit meat sauce...I told you the worms were colourful Wink

Collapse -
A true story about jacklighting deer.

In reply to: RE:Hunting at night with flashlights??

When I was stationed at Eglin AFB, Florida in the mid-70s, there was a major problem with poachers driving the back roads of the over 300,000 square acre Eglin reservation and jacklighting deer. Every now and again, one of these yahoos would get himself in a jam when he wandered onto an active bombing range (Eglin develops all nonnuclear armaments for the U.S, Air Force) and ran over a piece of unexploded ordinance, with predictable results for himself and his truck. Devil

It got so bad that the Florida Department of Natural Resources, acting on a suggestion from one of its officers, approached the 1st Special Operations Wing, located at Hurlburt Field, FL - aka Eglin Auxillary Field #9 - with an idea. Hurlburt has the majority of the Air Force's inventory of special operations aircraft, mostly PAVE LOW helicopters and the AC-130 Spectre gunships. After consultations with higher headquarters, the 1st SOW agreed, and thus was developed some nice training missions for the AC-130 crews.

Picture Bubba and Jody traipsing around the back roads of the Eglin reservation, intent of getting themselves some free venison - unaware that some 2,000 feet overhead, an AC-130 has found them with its night vision gear and is watching them intently. The Spectre is throttled down to bare idle and it isn't making any noise that our zeroes on the ground can hear. The crew of the AC-130 vectors Florida DNR officers into a position to close on these losers and bust them.

Bubba and Jody hear what has to be a group of deer coming along the trail and prepare to blind the deer with lights, causing them to freeze so they can be easily shot. Just as they reach for the light switch, an intense white light comes down from above as the AC-130 crew turns on the aircraft's servo controlled and stabilized searchlights (total illumination: somewhere in excess of 3,000,000 candlepower). Our intrepid fools are by now thinking that they are 1)having a religious experience, or 2)having a UFO experience. Wink At that moment, the DNR officers announce their presence and order Bubba and Jody to drop their guns and hug some good Florida red clay.

After complying with the order, our hapless zeroes are cuffed, taken into town and arraigned the next morning, whereupon they discover that the charges aren't state charges, but Federal ones: Trespassing on a closer military reservation and a bunch of others, including 1st degree dumb@$$. They then discover that the allowable punishment is 3-5 years in Federal prison, a $500,000 fine and the forfeiture of the truck and all gear in it or on them at the time of the arrest - the forfeiture was always imposed, BTW. And Bubba and Jody still have no clue as to what happened!

It didn't take long before jacklighters figured out that they weren't welcome on the Eglin reservation. It could have been worse, after all; at least Bubba and Jody weren't used for weapons practice... Devil

Collapse -
It never ceases to amaze me...

In reply to: A true story about jacklighting deer.

...that when people are engaged in such activities they don't drive a piece of crap even the cops wouldn't want seen in their impound lot, something that for less than 500 dollars manages to get down the road. Forfeiture of that? Who cares?!

Collapse -
Actually, they did get some nice...

In reply to: It never ceases to amaze me...

late model 4X4's amid all the beater trucks.

However, what really galled those morons was losing all those nice rifles and other assorted gear.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.