General discussion

a connection called 'default'

Hi all,

I'm in Vietnam right now. I'm living in an apartment.
My question is whenever I turn on my laptop I have multiple wireless connections show up.

I have this connection called 'default'. Is it ok to use?
It's been set to connect to it automatically,

and all the other wireless connections that comes up have passwords protecting it and such.

So is that default the one my.. say network adapter Intel Pro 3945ABG Network Adapter- has?

Or is that still a connection used by someone else?

I've been using the default for a while now... can someone help please?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: a connection called 'default'
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: a connection called 'default'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Default is the default name of the router. . .

When a wireless router is set up, the network name is default. If the owner of said router never changes it, that's the name. Most people will change the name to whatever strikes their fancy or to specifically name and identify a network. I left mine at default for a while then changed it.

The other connections you are seeing are other networks that have encryption set. They don't want anyone else using their facilities.

Can you use it? I guess so. Is this in your home, apartment, hotel? But if that default network does not have encryption set, anyone can use it. If this connection belongs to you, I'd suggest renaming it and setting encryption. WPA is the most secure.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, internet connections,
spyware removal, and download free software.

When I snap, you'll be the first to go.

- Collapse -
thank you for your reply

ok but how do I know that this is the one belong to me?

and this connection frequently disconnects itself.

Can you tell me some more please?

- Collapse -
Can you please provide us

the Name of your router and model number. The we can tell you how to update the firmware, set it up properly and secure it so no one else uses your network.

Rick

Most Routers

Update firmware
SSID broadcast on
WPA security
No Mac address

No Problems.

- Collapse -
umm this i think is right

ok thanks for that.

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

- Collapse -
(NT) We need information on the router, not the network card.
- Collapse -
oh right

but the problem is.
this house isn't mine
the laptop im using isn't mine
and the owner doesnt know anything at all.

so I don't know ... bit embarrassed what a router is, nor where it would be, nor how i find it.

can you tell me how?

We have one laptop.
I know that there's a modem sorta thing and it has an ethernet port.
Could that be it?
ZyXel Prestige 600

- Collapse -
Well, there's the problem, two of them. . .

1.) I need to know the router information.

2.) I'm going out on a limb here and will assume that you, being a novice, don't realize what you're trying to do is legally called Theft of Service. Using someone elses connection and I cannot give you help there.

Sorry.

- Collapse -
I'm sorry too...

This conversation is going the wrong way... We will not help those who want to circumvent the legality of what one wants. I'm locking the thread and may delete it after some discussion with the other mods.

and life goes on...

Jack

CNET Forums

Forum Info