Computer Help forum

General discussion

A COMPLIMENT-NOT A COMPLAINT.

by lenapter / September 7, 2010 1:55 PM PDT

To whomever thought of the "trash can" file for PC'S, I would like to give them one big hug!
I'll explain-
About a week ago, I started one huge project-to get all of my 340 or so compact discs, onto my external hard drive. No easy task. First I have to rip them onto my music library, on my PC'S hard drive. Then move the respective music files to my external hard drive. The last step, to conserve memory, delete these music files from my PC's hard drive.
I had completed this process for about 90 + CD'S.
Then,I thought I'd really blew it. I somehow deleted all of these music files, from my external hard drive.
About eight hours later, I had to re-start my PC; when lo and behold-there, in all it's glory, was my PC's trashcan icon, full of some files. Than I thought-my goodness-those must be ALL of the music files, I'd thought I'd earlier deleted from my PC's external hard drive. Of course, I had my PC sent all those music files back to my PC's external hard drive.
I don't even want to think about how many, many hours of work I'd just avoided.
So-To everybody out there-If you thought you've deleted some very important files, take a deep breath, ;go to your PC's desktop; and click on the trashcan icon-chances are, those files will be right there.
My question: does anybody know who came up with this simple, yet brilliant idea-the trashcan file folder?
Please e-mail me.

Len Apter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A COMPLIMENT-NOT A COMPLAINT.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A COMPLIMENT-NOT A COMPLAINT.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The recycle bin ?
by Papa Echo / September 7, 2010 5:15 PM PDT

What type of external drive do you have ? All this while, I thought that if you delete files from an external storage, the files do not go through the recycle bin... they just vanish... or do you have a different "tarsh can" ?

Collapse -
by lenapter / September 7, 2010 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: The recycle bin ?

I have a Western Digital "My book" essential.
In my situation, my "deleted" files went to my trash can.
I have a Dell PC 32 bit system running window 7.
The next time you "delete" files, please check your trash folder icon.
I'm not quit sure, but since I read the inventor of the MAC invented this trash can feature, all pc's regardless of make,or operating system, you think should have this feature.
My point-check your trash can icon;click on it. It should show the "deleted" files in it, and give you the option of returning those files to their origional places on your PC. I hope this helped.

Collapse -
Deleting files.....
by Papa Echo / September 8, 2010 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: REPLY

When you do so, the system or OS actually asks you whether you want to remove the files to the recycle bin.... It should not be a surprise that you are able to find the files there.... Mind you - if you think that your deleted files are safe- there is a space limit [customizable] to the recycle bin - as new files go in, old files go out...

Collapse -
I agree with the other poster.
by volvogirl / September 8, 2010 7:59 AM PDT

If you delete from another place that's not on your pc hard drive, like a flash drive it should delete it immediately without going to the Recycle Bin. Was this the pc Recycle Bin or a Recycle Bin on the external hard drive?

Sounds to me like it was the files you had previously deleted from your pc hard drive which you deleted after you copied them to the external drive, (not the deleted files from the external hard drive) since they were the same files. When you open the recycle bin it has a column labeled Original Location. What did it say? Were they actually from the external drive or did they all say C:/.....? And when you restored them from the Recycle Bin did they go directly to the external drive or did it put them on the pc C: hard drive?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?