Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A comment about Nintendo of America

by MarciaB / September 4, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

Something neat happened recently that warmed my heart. I wanted to share it with you.

Just two days before Orion's accident, he had purchased one of the new Nintendo DS game systems with part of his graduation money. (I didn't know he had done this, and likely would have objected ;)). Anyway, my youngest, Kelton, had seen the box in Orion's room, so he knew he had it. I told Kelton he could have the DS if we could find it. This just thrilled him. His comment with a smile was, ''Mom, Bubby is probably up in Heaven saying 'No Mom! Don't give my new DS to the short person!'''

We looked for the DS when we cleaned his room, but it was nowhere to be found. When I was finally able to go through his belongings they had recovered from the accident, there it was ... but with a broken upper screen. Sad I got on to the Nintendo website and found that there was a thin removeable screen cover that was replaceable for only about 10 bucks, so we ordered it. Unfortunately, it didn't help as the LCD itself was broken underneath. Kelton said, ''That's ok Mom. I'll just keep it anyway since it was Bubby's.''

A couple days later I thought, You know, it never hurts to ask. So I sent off an e-mail to NOA with an explanation of the situation, and asked if it could be repaired. A few days later I received a call from a very nice lady who said the repair dept. had forwarded my request to her. She was the head of their ''Special Cases'' dept. She informed me that they wanted to repair/replace the DS at no cost if I would ship it to them.

Within a week I surprised Kelton with the newly repaired and fully functional DS. He was so excited he hugged me several times, and I even got a, ''Mom, you're the greatest!'' Grin

It is good to hear about the times when the ''Big Guys'' are nice to the ''Little Guys.''

--Marcia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A comment about Nintendo of America
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A comment about Nintendo of America
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Corporations aren't always the badguys !
by duckman / September 4, 2005 1:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
I know .... and that's why I wanted to share this
by MarciaB / September 4, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

little story. We need to hear about the good things they do, even if it's as small as what Nintendo did for us. The repair they did for us was only about $80 worth, but it was worth much more than that in regard to their trust in me (that I was telling the truth) and their decision to help us even when they really didn't have to do so.

I don't think of most Corporations as "bad guys," just the "Big Guys." But without us "Little Guys" to support them, they wouldn't even exist, would they? Wink It's nice to know that they remember that.

Collapse -
Nintendo has always been
by TONI H / September 4, 2005 2:00 AM PDT

absolutely my favoritist (grammar used purposely) company to deal with. They used to have a program (still do, I think, the last time I visited their site) where you could send your units (even the old ones) to be cleaned and/or repaired for a flat $25 fee....and if you sent your games (all tagged with your name and address and the order number they gave you over the phone), they would include cleaning AND/OR repairing AND/OR REPLACING them for the same $25 fee. Even if this charge is much more now, it is well worth it for those classics. I would box up the unit(s) and all 200 games.....and even the joysticks and controllers....and ship it off for about $10 postage. Within two weeks everything was back..at their expense to reship....and included a list of games that you could buy from them that they had refurbished for $10 each if you wanted to add to your collection. Some of the games were actually replaced that I had sent and I know they were refurbished and resold to other people for that $10 per game.

I now have three Nintendo units (the old original, the N64, and the SuperNintendo (or whatever the second one was called). They all take three different types of controllers and game cartridges...and I'll be shipping everything off to them one of these days if that service is still available. I haven't checked to see if they also still have the refurbished games available, but that would be really neat if they are and would be a bonus.

Derek has the PS/2 and the Xbox....but I'll take the Nintendo over either of them any day of the week. I was so into their games that I would actually dream of strategy moves on something I was stuck on and wake up and play some more in the middle of the night with the sound turned off so I didn't wake up Derek's father long ago. I was as hooked on the games as Derek was at 7 years old, if not more so. LOL

Thanks for the trip down memory lane......now....how quickly can I get Zelda beat since I've forgotten most of it?

TONI

Collapse -
Good practice
by EdH / September 4, 2005 2:12 AM PDT

because Nintendo, like many other companies rely on repeat customers. In the past few years we have acquired 2 Gameboys, 3 Gameboy Advances (one was lost and then found a few months later), A GameCube and countless games. I won't even go into the other platforms we've shelled out for.

And my mom used to say my comic books were a waste of money!

"When I was your age we used to have plenty of fun throwing rocks at each other."

Collapse -
We played 'stretch'
by TONI H / September 4, 2005 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Good practice

I still have the scar on my second toe where the knife got me......sister ended up black and blue.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) tears are now flowing thanks
by Mark5019 / September 4, 2005 12:57 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.