Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy

This is no place for easy speech.

It is strained by ill-moderation, almost entirely by the actions of just two moderators. A man and a woman.

They instigate and cajole peaceable people like me to descend to low levels of public behavior.

They turn-off any gentle and moderate reader from ever posting in the first place.

A mere dozen or so personalites dominate this forum.

Most are angry and reactionary. And these are fed, protected and led by the two activist Moderators.

I would -think- that a corporate sponsored forum like this would like to please its customer base by maintaining civil, respectful commentary for the GOOD WILL that such a forum COULD build for the corporation.

Instead, there is a chronic illness afoot here, abetted by ill-moderation.

Hanoi Kerry talk breeds counterattacks from the likes of me. I'd much rather post small essays about good thoughts and good deeds, than bait back against the outspoken, often wicked thoughts of the hardened core, operating with impunity because the activist moderators are "on their side".

Something should be done. And that something is NOT to ban this messenger. The cure is proper, decent moderation.

Outlaw all name-calling. Debate issues on substance, not invectives.

OR just OUTLAW all political discussions, period and let it be a place of non-sectarian good thoughts and sharing of personal frustrations other than things which rankle half of the readers practially to death.

What is here now is unproductive and harmful to the posters, the moderators, to C/net the corporation, and to society in general.

Is this the place to hate?

YES it is.

I'm not a hater by nature but i sure hate the present Speakeasy.

Lee Koo, where are you?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not quite so turned off as you seem to be Netsky

In reply to: A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy

but I can understand your frustration. I just posted that Bill Osler and Dave Konkel are the ones who keep me coming back every day, I should have included you. Perhaps if we just ignore the rhetoric to the best of our ability and try to address those who engage our interest with civility it will catch on?

Yeah, pretty lame but its all I got.

NON NOTHI VEXARE CONCEDITIS or
NOTHI VEXARE NON CONCEDITIS, either is acceptable.

Rob Boyter

Please don't leave !!! I enjoy your posts immensely.

Collapse -
I have enjoyed your posts also netsky.

In reply to: I'm not quite so turned off as you seem to be Netsky

A wonderful break from all the politics and hateful words.

Collapse -
for instance, like this?

In reply to: I have enjoyed your posts also netsky.

Three Small Acts of Deliberate Kindness

Act One: In the supermarket the other day I spent a C-note on various groceries and convenience foods. "At Publix Supermarkets No Tipping is Our Policy" (but tipping is not outlawed). The 60 year old bag "boy" sacks the goods. I carry them out myself always. But I give the bagger a measly $2 tip. And he smiles so wide at the small tip and my few words of compliment. I have never seen a -cashier- get a tip. But I just gave $2 to the bagger for moving the same goods that the cashier had to handle. So, I give HER a measly matching tip of $2. Not only does she break out into a big, shocked grin, but the bagger is given further joy to realize this customer thinks of them as an equal -team-. An equally hard working, under salaried team. I make a 4% tithe if you will, of my purchase to support the working man and woman with family to feed. My life is a breeze in comparison. I am a cheapskate, yes, but small kindnesses of cash help preserve families and family values, agreed?

Act Two: Homeless-looking street person approaches in public. "Can you spare me fifty cents so I can make the Metrorail fare to get home?"
A patent lie! These people are mostly drug addicts, not even alkies- they are crack heads! Shameless but always polite when panhandling. "Wash your windshield?" A ruse! "Collecting quarters for the Mission, honest!" Where's your license badge then, wastrel!

What I do to these dregs of lost humanity -sometimes-. IF I have the bill and get the right "sense" about the person, I hand the poor blighter a Five Dollar Bill.

That makes me an "enabler" you know! Five dollars does not put a meal in the person's belly. It puts a crack rock in his pipe. Bad? Well yes, but.... these people are prisoners of a drug habit, who will rob, steal, assault, if not fed their needs. The cure rate despite all interventions is abysmally low. So -sometimes- I just feed them the LCD of what they need for fix. My self-coined motto is: Better he be a beggar than a burglar.

Act Three: A true incidence, happened to me just five nights ago. While stopped at the intersection of two four-lane roadways, a disabled, middle aged black man assayed to cross walk way in front of my car. The path is some 70 feet long. The man, who -looks- hale and strong, was walking with the aid of a walker. In the tiniest, most tentative steps of the most decrepit centenarian.

The walk light is about three minutes long. At the two minute mark the disabled fellow had not got even half way across the intersection.

Other drivers were present and witnessed this pitiful poor guy. Is it a ruse? A sham? He -looks- so young and perfectly fine except for the shambling slow walk. In Miami ruses are not uncommon. You sucker yourself in by being a Samaritan and--- bump goes your head in thanks.

I turn on the four way flasher, get out and shield the man, saying, "let me ensure by waving that no right-turning car or intersection speeder risks running you down".

'OH, Mon!" says the surprised man in perfectly strong, clear Bahamanian accent. "You are a good mon, thank you, very kind!"

His feet dance faster but he moves no quicker at all. Sort of dances in place. Very strange! Something really wrong with the fellow's coordination.

With inquiry he says he has another four city blocks to walk. He' already walked ten long city blocks- from the hospital where he, a charity case, has just been discharged. A stroke victim. White plastic ID wristband offers final proof of his plight. He is returning to his hovel-room in an assisted living motel, former love motel, converted by the City to house charity case indigents.

I insist my new acquaintance into my automobile and he is soooo relieved, happy to have a friend in this world.

PLUS all the other cars waiting for us to move on, show smiling faces from inside -their- interiors. Smiles all around. Everybody wins! And I learned that the ripple effect of a very small act of deliberate kindness may be observed fanning outward across the world from the moment you drop a pebble of non-judgemental fraternal love.

Those are my three small sample deeds presented in 2,000 excess of words .

Tell IMO about your own public kindnesses- they may be as different as church volunteering, or the rescue of abandoned pets.

Tell, say, three of your favorite giving acts. If you can be briefer than I- that's a very good act of public kindness in itself.

But please don't give any praise to me. That's not the point of this new thread.

blessings to you all from a non-religious fellow who finds that the best earthly blessings for himself are obtained in making human smiles where none existed before.

Collapse -
Re: you want "brief giving"....

In reply to: for instance, like this?

i give you a clue: you babble too much, stream of thought does NOT translate well on a forum such as SE...

i give you a tip: stop using SE as a public rest room where you stop to stroke either your ego or your libido...

i give you a little insight: who needs to read a post where the author is slapping himself on the shoulder saying "what a good samritan i am"...

brief enough for you i hope...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) have charmmin? its soft:)

In reply to: Re: you want "brief giving"....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I salute you Netsky, you are a better man than I.

In reply to: for instance, like this?

Collapse -
Re: A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy

it'll be even colder if you forget to close the door as you leave...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Love it Jonah - RAOFLMAO

In reply to: Re: A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sometimes you feel like a "nutsky," sometimes you don't

Collapse -
I need to respectfully disagree

I have never been attacked by a MOD but have had a few go off the handle or seem to make wild judgments without justification. I would judge myself to be quite moderate and pensive with a slight conservative leaning. Depending on how far one is from the fence, some would see quite otherwise. This is expected. You have received plenty of attention here but I suspect there is one frustration that you and I might both share. That is watching most of your posts silently slip to the bottom of the page and disappear without reaction or comment. This can be discouraging. In my case, I have no ego at all. It rolls off easily. Another poster recently suggested that this forum seems to be dominated by a handful of individuals who's regular visits are to converse with one another. Others, though not unwelcome, are largely ignored. I believe this is very true but there is no malicious intent involved. Such is the nature of group dynamics. One way to get attention is to walk into the street with guns drawn and blazing. A few do this as well. They are admonished, cool off (maybe) and get attention. Again, group dynamics in action. Don't let it get to you.

Collapse -
If you see this as a place of hate ...

... and you do not consider yourself a hater, then perhaps Speakeasy is not the forum for you.

Collapse -
What's to stop you ...

from posting any non-political essays or whatever you want? It's an election season so I think political talk is natural. Obviously it engages people. It gets contentious, sure. Big deal. Restricting discussion in the manner you suggest would make things boring in my opinion.

Collapse -
Re: A cold place for hot tempers this Speakeasy

this is a speak easy seems if you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Ive posted a link that Toni had to fix and yet no replies about his service requirements.

same old change subject and he is Hanoi Kerry in my eyes i would call him that to his face if i had the chance to meet him, plus say a few more things if i could.
you want a nicey nice place i dont have your answer but your new here at least under this name

and where were you when all the anti bush talks were going on seems lopsided doesn't it but then again its OK for anti bush but when the shoes on anti Hanoi Kerry not.
well till they make this SE a censored place then it wont be se it will be kerry cnet.

we never promised you a rose garden seems you forget that.
you dont see me crying when i get made fun of because my grammer is not pc but when i corected somebody about kerrys 2 tours in nam saying a tour is 1 yr not 4 months he went running to the mod crying like a child but thats the norm, can dish it out but cant take the heat.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!