General discussion

A brief dabble into English with a possibly exceptionable

discussion of another member's grammatical difficulty.

First. American men's names Benjamin, Thomas mostly as Tom, Richard and ****, John, James, Robert, Frank rather than Francis (sorry Mr. Sinatra)
David's seem evenly divided, Roger's tend to be English except for ours here

English Names Jude (!?), Daniel, Douglas (but never Doug, possibly Duggie if you live in Scotland,) Jeremy, Geoffrey, Rowan, Dudley, Julian, Ian or Iain, same name, Hugh or Huw and Gareth if you're Welsh.

American Names For Women: Diane, Sarah, Pat more than Patricia, Martha if you're a Plimpton, Jane, Jean, Catherine plus a younger cadre of Lindsays and Mary-Elizabeth's usually shortend Helens used to be around in my Mother's day, but I don't know any AmeriCanadian ones now. Donna.

British names: Helena, Diana, Philippa, Phyllida, Emma, (mother and daughter), Saskia, Charlotte, Nicola, Elspeth and Zoe. Mind you if you lived in Essex and East London it was all Tracie's and Sharon's and Sheila's. Davida's such a clumsy name and Nigella's though there aren't that many of them occurred because her father Nigel Lawson was a Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer. Davida seems such an unfortunate name, and so many women's names are just men's names with an -a on the end. Roberta, Alana, Philippa, Patricia. Besides Sheila and Sharon and Tracy I worked with a Nicola and a Tamsin which is a late 19th Century rural dialect version of Thomasina. Nicola and Tamsin were Pharmacists and had been to University, the others had not and were therefore of a different class. I was particularly annoying (yes, yes, and we're not surprised) because I talked posh, had been to University, and yet was working at a very blue collar job. The people who had the greatest difficulty with it were management.

The English pronunciation of Marie which isn't the light Dorsey inflected Ma Ree is entirely the reverse, Mah-ree which was very hard to get used to. Mary's used to be common on both sides of the ocean.

Now that little bit of grammar:
"Isn't
there some term for that sort of obsession, when someone is no longer
in power, yet obsessor still feels threatened in some manner? There's
probably a proper term for it. It can't be paranoia, it goes beyond
that." That should be "the sort of obsession which when someone ... feels threatened", the adverb obsessively (see an -ly and allo! it's an adverb!) modifies the verb "to feel" which is all too appropriate for Clinton. And no there isn't a word beyond paranoia as Henry Kissinger could have told you had you asked. The concept I think you want, though you've talked around it a lot is "obsessive paranoia" or "obsessively paranoid" but Clinton shows no signs of either. He does show a bit of longing for the lime-light again pretty understandable and which is also part of what I think you were groping for, but he certainly is being useful, and has only once that I know of functioned at cross-purposes with the President, you know, the Irish one President O'Bama.I particularly like the fact that his mother's people, as we Celts say, were Irish.

People accustomed to an intense busy life frequently required to function on a much higher level than the rest of us sometimes feel a profound let down and disconnection from their former world to the point of depression, but both Carter and Clinton are exemplars of how you deal with it. Both of them put their weight behind good causes to good effect. I hope I'm doing as well at Jimmy Carter's age as he is. He reminds me of my next door neighbour in Etobicoke pre 1997 who every year climbed up on his roof and put up Santa and his sleigh and reindeer and lights. He was 85, but he'd been in construction all his life. I still begged him to give me notice so I could help, but every winter, there it was.

I, partly because of my weight, Mike, and partly because of insufficient exercise have some balance problems, and when I'm working at Michael's I fall down a slope of some kind just about every weekend. The other part of the problem is that I don't sense being off-balance as well as I used to, and so I can't correct the way I once did. I caught a toe on a heaved bit of pavement on my way to the Drug store and the supermarket three months ago, and was on my face before I could get my arms out in front of me. I mashed my nose and broke one of my two front teeth, but not too badly, just kind of chipped the edge across it, so it doesn't show much. I now watch more carefully, but if I fall I try to make a joke out of it. One of the side effects of Effexor SR (Venlafaxine) is that it messes with your balance, and since I've been taking it for 6 years now, I'm pretty sure that's my problem. I'll discuss it with my GP a week Thursday. Besides I'm taking less V than previously.

So far as I can see President Clinton is doing what all former Presidents in reasonable shape used to do, which is to be as much service to the country as possible. I certainly don't see Mad Magazine dagger weilding spies behind every bush, um let's make that corner, that was entirely unintentional, and neither apparently does he. Now President Bush the Lesser on the other hand appears to be in hiding, and may well be suffering from depression, but that is not even speculation. It is a question sent off into the ozone or aether if you like obsolescent words.

Rob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: A brief dabble into English with a possibly exceptionable
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A brief dabble into English with a possibly exceptionable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wow

That's a lot of rambling and babbling to get to your "President Bush the Lesser" insult. Is vitriol your best writing?

So the Effexor SR is what causes your physical imbalance? Not sure anyone expressed concern about that.

- Collapse -
I was crippled by depression post move back from Britain.

It was mostly an attempt to deny the end of my marriage, and I was functional for about 4 hours a day, and spent the rest of the time in bed. That may well have contributed to the development of some of the balance issues, though as noted before I was on ridiculously high doses of Effexor 300mg twice a day to keep the anger I was feeling at bay. I knew I needed to get out but at the same time I had married Nancy, and to me, that was a life-long commitment. I tried and tried to work things out, but she was so busy, and had developed a number of really bad ways of acting out, the worst of which was the ridiculous spending of money on nothing. That's part of her family dynamic, and she is one of those people who "copes" so well that she hides all her problems from everyone but me. The problems still exist, even though she supports neither me nor our son, she spends her salary beyond its limits to a ridiculous extent.

Now when I was posting back around the second Bush election, that was a period when what I wrote was what I believed but my vehemence was the anger coming out. Despite my continued occasional mention of President Bush, that is no longer my focus, and my current living arrangements are as close to perfect as is possible to find.

I am loath to attribute all of my balance problems to Effexor, because I am top heavy, and thus if I'm bending over doing gardening or laying paving stones or working on a slope, it is very easy to overbalance and tumble down the hill. It worries Michael, but so long as I roll and don't fall, it's not an issue for me. The other part of it is that my feet kill me which means a visit to a chiropodist which I can't afford. I'm going in search of one of those Dr. Scholls kiosks in the hope that it makes enough difference.

I have to start walking, and my goal is an hour a day 6 days a week. That and an improved diet should help shed the pounds and strengthen my ankles and ligaments. I have rolled both ankles very badly several times in the past 10 years, I believe it's pronation when your ankles roll outwards, and both do. The good news is that I have developed a more careful way of walking, and haven't rolled an ankle in years. That's another curious thing. I didn't use to be able to catch it and stop it before I went right over on the ankle, but now i can. I put my foot down and for whatever reason it starts to roll outwards and I can quickly get my other foot down and catch myself before I over stress the ankle. I used to take excessively long strides as a result of walking with a friend who was 6'4 when I was 5'8", so I stretched out my gait to match his. That may have later led to the pronation problem, and being unable to catch it. My wife always complained I walked too fast, so I learned to take smaller steps, Maybe it helped.

Thank you Mike for expressing your concern regarding the balance problem. I'm down to 150 mg Effexor with much more energy, and good emotional control thanks in part to therapy, and in part to not having to deal with the issues any more, except for the Collection people calling every couple of weeks, so I can tell them, "No, I cannot pay for my wife's debts, i have no money." After 4+ years they're getting the message. I've been through all the nasty ones, and I now have a nice woman, who because of her very pleasant telephone manner is probably very successful at what she does, but "I aint got no mo-o-oney, So you can't get a dime from me." She now checks in once a month, I tell her truthfully that nothing has changed, and that's it for another month.

All the above has slowed my moving into my apartment profoundly. I still have a large mound of unopened boxes of books, and I'm currently out of shelf space. I'm going to have to buy some more book cases, the cheapest I can find. Another 5 or so 6footers should do the job. I am shamelessly cadging (begging for) book cases wherever I can but no luck so far. None the less, I'm going to open all the boxes, and put all the tall stuff on the shelves I have, and remove the less tall stuff to await more shelves. Then I'll have a living room again, with nice furniture inherited from my parents (not that we're divorced or even contemplating it given our financial states, but inherited items are not part of community property up here, and possibly down there, since I never had a reason to investigate.)

I've said this before, but I want to say it again. Nancy is a very nice person, and a superb physician who carries her family baggage fairly well except if you happen to be married to her. She has the enviable ability to compartmentalize and thus remain capable. I don't which is why I collapsed. I on the other hand am more than willing to face my problems in a therapeutic setting, and have gotten a long way in the last 2 years, particularly during that brief 3 day hiatus from Effexor caused by my forgetting it at a friend's place. I did more interior work in 3 days than in the previous 10 years though the therapy of the last 3 got me to the point where I could do the work and not turn into a puddle.

I'm sorry for the rambling nature of the previous post. I trust that this one is more coherent. It's certainly more me. Part of the reason my posts are long is that as a student, I really did have to learn to type, and I crank this stuff out reasonably quickly as 44 years of practice has allowed me to type what I'm thinking. When my thoughts are disordered, or are trying to bridge two topics without offending too much, I'm less fluent, as you have correctly remarked.

I really am doing quite well Mike, and I honestly do appreciate your concern regarding the Effexor/balance issue.

Oh, ******, it's quarter past two, there's no one in the place except me and you (name that tune, and how many minutes is it off by? Happy We'll just have to see if the very English word bu&&er slides past the guard program, which occasionally blocks the oddest words.

Thanks again Mike, I hope you and yours are well, and things go well for you. I'm not a loon (though the moon does have its influences) and I actually do care about the folks here, and politics aside, hope that they're all doing okay. This especially goes for Dave Konkel and Angeline Booher who have been missing owing to climatological nastiness. My fingers are crossed for them both, which does tend to slow up the typing.

See ya,
Rob

D

- Collapse -
I think Bush is doing the proper thing

He's no longer in office. One thing I can remember, and you may recall differently, is that Bush discontinued the hard campaign rhetoric once he was in office. He was in charge and, at least publicly, was far less prone to continue bashing the opposing party at every whim. I can't say this is true of the current president. What I see Bush doing now is standing back and out of the way of those who succeeded him. They are in charge and Bush isn't continuing to meddle. I would guess he's probably consulted from time to time but he has stepped down now. He's behaving as he should, IMO.

- Collapse -
Of course he did. He had a whole cast of characters around

him to do it for him. He knew enough that he needed to "look" Presidential. Then September 11th happened and there was little need for it until the Iraqi invasion started and the intelligence turned from soft to tapioca. Again, he left the street brawling to Cabinet officials and spokespeople and the Backroom Boys under Rove, who weren't nominally a part of the Administration. There is no virtue in having others do the dirty work. But that's more than enough about that.

Rob

CNET Forums