Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A boss of mine once told me........................

by hh / May 5, 2006 4:18 AM PDT

If you want to make a point, you have to exaggerate.....

Well, reading the following story made me think of the following: I wonder how many colleges would have no problem inviting the likes of Chavez, Castro, Ahmadinejad, and yes even Saddam as their commencement speaker? And then mock those who would protest the choice by declaring ''you have to be open minded'' and ''you have to see their point of view''.

You get the point. Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A boss of mine once told me........................
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A boss of mine once told me........................
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe they should just stick with
by MarciaB / May 5, 2006 4:35 AM PDT

the "safe" choices for a commencement speaker:

Would any of these qualify? (asking honestly, because I have never heard of any of them.)
http://chronicle.com/free/speakers/

Apparently it's not such an easy chore for the "big name" schools anymore. This article, I thought, was interesting in regard to this:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0513/p02s01-ussc.html

"Final quiz: how to satisfy with graduation speakers

Rice University seniors, miffed by this year's choice, join students expecting famous faces along with diplomas.

The challenge for universities is to find a balance between someone with enough weight to impress alumni and parents and enough personality to entertain graduates. But that can be costly. Some speakers charge six figures for a 15-minute speech. This year, Rice opted out.

"It's a complex issue," says Mark Scheid, assistant to Rice President David Leebron. "It's difficult to find someone who is going to be able to say something significant to a graduating class but who only has 11 minutes of significant statements to make - and who is not going to break your budget.""

(more of the article at the above link)

-----------------------------------

So the new "bragging rights" are WHO spoke at your commencement. Silly ..... but not much of a surprise.

Collapse -
Re: that list
by Evie / May 5, 2006 4:48 AM PDT

You don't recognize Hillary Rodham Clinton? Wink

Anywho, interesting how many on the list were chancellors of other institutions of higher learning. Sounds like a nice money train to me Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Oopsie! Missed that one! Must have been
by MarciaB / May 5, 2006 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: that list

a subconscious thing going on when I scanned the list.

Or maybe an unconscious thing.

Happy

Collapse -
Didn't see much ''mocking'' here
by grimgraphix / May 5, 2006 4:50 AM PDT
''I have no objection to her coming here to speak -- I am in favor of free speech -- but I don't believe we should be honoring her with an honorary degree,'' Hollenbach said.

The biggest controversy appears to be the awarding of an honorary degree. Is it customary to give all commencement speakers an honorary degree?

The debate over the Rice invitation underscores the tensions between liberal and conservative Catholics. Both camps yesterday accused the other side of selectively invoking Catholic teaching in their arguments.

Student activist Reena Parikh, a senior English major, found a contradiction in BC's taking a Catholic teaching stance against abortion and gay rights, while at the same time inviting Rice to accept an honorary degree.

''Boston College has selectively chosen which Catholic teachings it's going to privilege and which ideas of Catholic teaching it's going to censor,'' Parikh said.

It would appear that interpretation of religious values and how strict the application should be is the real issue. Some factions on campus believe others are hypocrites... Rice was just the proverbial straw on the Camel's back.

Other faculty members and students supported the invitation, saying that having such a notable speaker is an honor for the university. Political science professor Marc Landy said the letter was a ''grotesque mistake'' and sent a letter asking colleagues not to sign the Himes-Hollenbach letter.

Debate in a college atmosphere... seems fairly common to me.

''If you want to make a point, you have to exaggerate.....'' I got your point Wink
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, the honorary degree is common practice
by Evie / May 5, 2006 5:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
And frankly ...
by Evie / May 5, 2006 5:38 AM PDT

... since she ACTUALLY does hold a REAL degree the "controversy" over bestowing her with an honorary one is even more absurd.

Collapse -
She is to be commended for not telling them to take...
by EdH / May 5, 2006 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: And frankly ...

a flying figure eight. Such "morally superior" hypocrites.

Collapse -
I guess this quote got my attention
by hh / May 5, 2006 5:38 AM PDT
''On the levels of both moral principle and practical moral judgment, Secretary Rice's approach to international affairs is in fundamental conflict with Boston College's commitment to the values of the Catholic and Jesuit traditions and is inconsistent with the humanistic values that inspire the university's work,'' the letter said. It pointed out Pope John Paul II's opposition to the war in Iraq.

''I have no objection to her coming here to speak -- I am in favor of free speech -- but I don't believe we should be honoring her with an honorary degree,'' Hollenbach said.

The debate over the Rice invitation underscores the tensions between liberal and conservative Catholics. Both camps yesterday accused the other side of selectively invoking Catholic teaching in their arguments.

''This is the only time these people have cited Pope John Paul II on anything,'' said the Rev. Paul McNellis, who is an adjunct professor in the philosophy department.

(the underline my emphasis)

p.s. debate is good, but we all know which way the deck is stacked. Will they at least listen or will they heckle her like it happened here ?
Debate only when you agree with the person?
Collapse -
In 2004 ...
by Evie / May 5, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

... they didn't seem to have a problem with Walter Dellinger's position on abortion! 2004 Commencement

Should We Compromise on Abortion?
Many commentators are saying that ''extremists on both sides'' in the abortion debate need to compromise. But a close analysis of current proposals shows that even ''moderate'' restrictions impose real harm on many women.

The ?Unborn Victims of Violence Act? and Roe v. Wade?
Read what these supporters of legal abortion say about ?fetal homicide? laws

Walter Dellinger of Duke University School of Law was at one time perhaps the most prominent legal advocate in the pro-abortion-rights movement. He was closely associated with NARAL, and until 1992, he co-chaired a NARAL-sponsored commission to defend Roe v. Wade. After President Clinton was elected, Dellinger was appointed as a White House advisor to Clinton on ?constitutional issues,? in which capacity he says he drafted five executive orders that were issued by President Clinton on his third day in office, nullifying various anti-abortion policies adopted by earlier presidents. Dellinger later served the Clinton Administration as Assistant Attorney General and as Acting Solicitor General of the United States. On July 13, 2003, the Raleigh News-Observer published the following passage in a story titled ?A Question of Rights,? posted here: http://newsobserver.com/news/v-print/story/2690147p-2494289c.html

So much for this excuse for utter hypocrisy.

I'm PRETTY sure this clashes far more directly with Catholic teachings.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I think the students...
by grimgraphix / May 5, 2006 12:22 PM PDT

will be restrained if she speaks. Most young people today are, quite frankly, not prone to deviating from the pack behavior. Modern marketing, combined with the ''everyone deserves a ribbon'' education philosophy, in action.

Most of the folks I see publicly protesting during public speaking theses days are the 50 and older crowd. Probably the same age as the professors who raised the bulk of the complaint in the first place I imagine.

''we all know which way the deck is stacked''...? Republicans dominate the house, the senate, and the presidency. You tell me which way the deck is stacked. The only thing I see risky about Ms. Rice appearing at this event is the powers that be can't screen the crowd as is the usual SOP for administration ''town meetings''.

I do have to disagree with this statement... ''Opponents, however, insist that regardless of what they do, the event was destined to be political when the administration invited Rice.''... it's political because they choose to make it political... they make it out to be some self fulfilling prophecy or something. Please, if your going to protest then at least stand up for your ideology!

Collapse -
As the intro to the program says...
by Angeline Booher / May 5, 2006 5:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
As Homer Simpson said...
by EdH / May 5, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

"Who made you Judge Judy and executioner?"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Angeline Booher / May 5, 2006 7:16 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?