Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A Blue Law Oddity

by C1ay / June 1, 2008 1:24 PM PDT

Here in the great Southern Bible Belt we still have deal with Blue Laws that prohibit some items of sin from being sold on Sunday's Sad

Saturday I decided to pick up a six pack of that Non-Alcoholic beer to try and the cashier carded me at the register even though it was really nothing more than a malt beverage with no alcohol. This prompted me to ask if it was also a prohibited sales item on Sunday's and she told me yes. What a crock!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Blue Law Oddity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Blue Law Oddity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It does have some alcohol in it.
by James Denison / June 1, 2008 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: A Blue Law Oddity

Do like all the Baptists, load up on Saturday.

Collapse -
(NT) So does cough syrup
by C1ay / June 1, 2008 8:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
I believe a lot of the old Blue Laws
by Steven Haninger / June 1, 2008 7:32 PM PDT

were designed not to prevent someone from purchasing so much as not to require one to sell. It was a long time before other than necessary items could be sold on Sundays either...no clothing or department stores opened. I believe it was more a business decision as finding people to work these days was difficult and employers couldn't force them to. We have had large stores with Jewish owners that closed on Saturdays as well....except at Christmas time. Happy

Collapse -
Re: the cashier carded me
by jonah jones / June 1, 2008 10:26 PM PDT

i don't recognise the term, you mean she asked for some sort of ID? (to prevent underage drinking?)

Collapse -
(NT) Yes
by C1ay / June 1, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Correct
by Steven Haninger / June 1, 2008 10:41 PM PDT

By law in most places proof of age (usually 21) is needed to purchase certain items. In some cases it's rather foolish. A white bearded old man who can barely walk might be carded to prove he's over 21.....whether he's sober or whether he's not. Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the explanation.
by drpruner / June 3, 2008 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Correct

I was about to turn in Clay to the Mods for being underage for SE. Happy

Collapse -
Ain't nuthin'
by Willy / June 1, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

Wait, if you ever lived in a "dry county" the pop-up of many "private clubs". Of course these private clubs offer memberships on the spot or require reference from the person that brought you. hahaha! Maybe not a Sun. sale either, but it seems odd that those that need it travel aways in the next county and get their treats. Always seems to be a Quik Mart just over the line. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not a "Blue Law" here, Clay. And not just in the South,
by Angeline Booher / June 3, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

Just how our state alcohol sales are set up. The label on near beer says "beer', so that counts.

When we lived in Kansas City in the late 1950's, drug stores or pharmacies, as one prefers, were roped off as to what could and could not be sold on Sundays.

Who cares??? Sundays are important to some, not to others. I always liked them , for example because there were good programs on the radio on Sundays. The stores were all closed, anyway,

When one lives in Rome one lives as the Romans do. One does have the option of running for office to try to get changes made or supporting someone with that goal, among others.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) do they restrict root beer too?
by James Denison / June 3, 2008 10:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
Bergen County, NJ has had blue laws for ages
by Josh K / June 5, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

Not just on alcohol either. The malls there are closed on Sundays. The residents like it that way as it gives them a one-day-a-week reprieve from all the shopping traffic clogging their streets.

Collapse -
Blue Laws have another non religious purpose.
by James Denison / June 5, 2008 2:46 PM PDT

Although the concept came from religion, being from the sabbath day of rest, but Blue Laws help assure the "common worker" or laborer can have at least one day off per week.

Collapse -
(NT) While denying him his refreshments.
by C1ay / June 5, 2008 10:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
No excuse for stupidity
by James Denison / June 6, 2008 12:20 AM PDT

He could have bought his "refreshments" on 5-6 other days previous. If he can't do that, then maybe he needs someone to help him budget his time and funds better, someone to look over him since he can't take care of himself adequately and may even be mentally deficient.

Collapse -
Or the church....
by C1ay / June 6, 2008 12:31 AM PDT

could bear the responsibility of getting the word to its members to not buy beer on Sunday and it could be made available to everyone else. Why should church beliefs have in bearing on my life in a secular nation?

Collapse -
Because, those church beliefs....
by James Denison / June 6, 2008 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Or the church....

....are also secular beliefs of this nation's citizenry. Get used to it.

Collapse -
I don't see anything wrong with buying alcohol on Sunday
by Josh K / June 7, 2008 9:35 AM PDT

It's not my Sabbath. Why should I be subject to Christian law if I'm not Christian?

Collapse -
I don't care either.
by James Denison / June 7, 2008 9:53 AM PDT

If they aren't in church, might as well be drunk on Sunday instead. At least most of them will be at home instead of on the road, hopefully. Sunday traffic is lighter too, so if they hit the road, maybe less chance of hitting someone, especially after 1pm.

Collapse -
As the joke goes....
by Josh K / June 8, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't care either.

Jews don't recognize the divinity of Jesus.

Protestants don't recognize the infallibility of the pope.

Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquor store or at Hooters.

Devil

Collapse -
Thank goodness
by Dragon / June 5, 2008 12:18 AM PDT

Texas has gotten rid of the blue laws! You could get a pair of pants but not shoes, a hammer but not a nail, a gun but not bullets...that kind of thing. My mother was in the hospital and wanted house shoes and a gown. My dad was not allowed to buy the house shoes.

Collapse -
what?
by James Denison / June 5, 2008 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank goodness

I never heard of such a blue law. How'd that come about?

Collapse -
Looks like King Constantine
by Steven Haninger / June 5, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

might be the one to blame.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Blue_law_-_History/id/1296856

""Let all judges and all city people and all tradesmen rest upon the venerable day of the sun. But let those dwelling in the country freely and with full liberty attend to the culture of their fields; since it frequently happens that no other day is so fit for the sowing of grain, or the planting of vines; hence, the favorable time should not be allowed to pass, lest the provisions of heaven be lost." ? Given the seventh of March, Crispus and Constantine being consuls, each for the second time. A.D. 321.

Interesting that agriculture was exempted. Of course farmers already had grapes and grain to do with as they pleased.

Collapse -
The color Blue
by James Denison / June 5, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

The color Blue probably refers to the "royal" color, and that may be where the phrase "Blue Law" comes from originally. I think however the concept of forcing or insuring a day off each week comes direct from the Bible.
===========================================

Exodus 35
"These are the things which the LORD has commanded you to do. 2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a holy sabbath of solemn rest to the LORD; whoever does any work on it shall be put to death; 3 you shall kindle no fire in all your habitations on the sabbath day."

Exodus 31
"The LORD said to Moses, 13 "Say to the people of Israel, 'You shall keep my sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you. 14 You shall keep the sabbath, because it is holy for you; every one who profanes it shall be put to death; whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall be put to death. 16 Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the sabbath, observing the sabbath throughout their generations, as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign for ever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.'"

Numbers 15
While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him in custody, because it had not been made plain what should be done to him. 35 And the LORD said to Moses, "The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." 36 And all the congregation brought him outside the camp, and stoned him to death with stones, as the LORD commanded Moses.

Deuteronomy 5
12 "'Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, or your manservant, or your maidservant, or your ox, or your ***, or any of your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your manservant and your maidservant may rest as well as you. 15 You shall remember that you were a servant in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out thence with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the sabbath day.

Nehemiah 13
14 Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God and for his service. 15 In those days I saw in Judah men treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in heaps of grain and loading them on asses; and also wine, grapes, figs, and all kinds of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day; and I warned them on the day when they sold food. 16 Men of Tyre also, who lived in the city, brought in fish and all kinds of wares and sold them on the sabbath to the people of Judah, and in Jerusalem. 17 Then I remonstrated with the nobles of Judah and said to them, "What is this evil thing which you are doing, profaning the sabbath day? 18 Did not your fathers act in this way, and did not our God bring all this evil on us and on this city? Yet you bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath." 19 When it began to be dark at the gates of Jerusalem before the sabbath, I commanded that the doors should be shut and gave orders that they should not be opened until after the sabbath. And I set some of my servants over the gates, that no burden might be brought in on the sabbath day. 20 Then the merchants and sellers of all kinds of wares lodged outside Jerusalem once or twice. 21 But I warned them and said to them, "Why do you lodge before the wall? If you do so again I will lay hands on you." From that time on they did not come on the sabbath.

Jeremiah 17
19 Thus said the LORD to me: "Go and stand in the Benjamin Gate, by which the kings of Judah enter and by which they go out, and in all the gates of Jerusalem, 20 and say: 'Hear the word of the LORD, you kings of Judah, and all Judah, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, who enter by these gates. 21 Thus says the LORD: Take heed for the sake of your lives, and do not bear a burden on the sabbath day or bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem. 22 And do not carry a burden out of your houses on the sabbath or do any work, but keep the sabbath day holy, as I commanded your fathers.

Collapse -
Possible source of blue...
by J. Vega / June 5, 2008 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: The color Blue

Robert L. Chapman's Dictionary of American Slang defines bluenose as A prude; prig; a self-appointed moral arbiter.
It could be that when a bluenose moral arbiter got laws passed, the term blue laws developed as a slang term for them.

Collapse -
"Non" Alcoholic Beer
by needanythingelse? / July 23, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

According to all my cashier training (as if that's supposed to make me sound important, lol) non-alcoholic beer actually contains enough alcohol to make it illegal to sell to/buy for those under 21. It is actually impossible (or at least really darn hard) to leech all of the alcohol out of beer.

Just thought I'd pitch in, lol.

Check me out: http://needanythinglese.blogspot.com

Collapse -
OTOH....
by C1ay / July 23, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: "Non" Alcoholic Beer

Many cough syrups and other meds comtain more alcohol than the no alcohol beer and they can sell those on Sunday as well as the cooking wines over by the cooking oil and vinegar.

Collapse -
Red Bull and Robotussin anyone ?
by grimgraphix / July 23, 2008 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: OTOH....

We could call it a "Redder Bull"

EWWWW !

Grin

Collapse -
whoops!
by needanythingelse? / July 23, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm
Collapse -
L before E except after C
by grimgraphix / July 23, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!