Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

A bandit with Administrator privileges

A rather interesting problem has come about on my computer. I found a new Administrator account on my system. The system is running XP Pro in my law office on a box with 256 megs of RAM and beau coup hard drive space. It's a 2+ gHz processor (Intel).

Normally, you would say, "Simply delete the account." Nope. You CANNOT delete this account. Why, you ask? Because whoever/whatever put this account on my system was too aware of that. There is no delete capabilty. Yes, I know how to delete user accounts, but there is nothing shown, except Change Password and change the picture.

I have put in a unique password that will never be figured out without a ton of work. But my question, and I have asked this in several such forums but never seem to get a good answer, is how do I REMOVE the darn account? If I cannot do it the regular way (but thy are somehow not shown), then can I delete it some other way, using regedit or whatever?

Would reinstalling XP Pro work?

I believe that this thing came via the Internet. There is no one smart enough on the cleaning crew to do this. None of my clients are computer literate enough. I think it was downloaded and activated inadvertently by a former secretary (that is why she is "former") who downloaded music off my the Internet by using my computer when I was out of the office. The name on the user account is King, if that helps.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Richard Bash
33 W. 10th Street - Suite LL4
Anderson, IN 46016
Tele: (765) 609-2274
E-mail: dickbash@sbcglobal.net

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A bandit with Administrator privileges
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A bandit with Administrator privileges
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A bandit with Administrator privileges

In reply to: A bandit with Administrator privileges

You can try the suggested procedure from the following MSKB article:

Q281140 -" HOW TO: Disable the Local Administrator Account in Windows"

Caution

You should use the culprit account instead of Administrator account (as presented in this article).

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: A bandit with Administrator privileges

In reply to: A bandit with Administrator privileges

this short cut will download a file called "delprof.msi"

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/5/3/253fe093-513a-4e59-9bdc-345b13debf27/delprof.msi

as the name suggests the program is called "delete profile" and is one of Microsoft's extra tools (i think from their "XP Professional Resource Kit") - i've never used it but no doubt there will be something in "MS KBase" - this web page may also help with instructions on how to use it:-

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/default.asp

hope this helps
Peter
PS "Zone alarm" is a good firewall program to stop those "bandits"!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.