Speakeasy forum

Alert

99 bottles of beer. Do cans count?

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2014 7:56 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 99 bottles of beer. Do cans count?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 99 bottles of beer. Do cans count?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
40 ounces in a bottle
by JP Bill / August 28, 2014 11:08 AM PDT

24 hours in a day....Coincidence?....I think not.

Collapse -
40 ounces?!
by James Denison / August 28, 2014 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: 40 ounces in a bottle

That's more than a quart or a liter. Using some ancient system there in Newfoundland?

Collapse -
RE: That's more than a quart or a liter.
by JP Bill / August 28, 2014 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: 40 ounces?!

Yes...it is. Actually 40 ounces (back in the day in Canada) was a popular size bottle. NOW the approximately same size is 1.14 liter

Origin of 1.14 Liter Bottles

BTW it's New Brunswick...not Newfoundland.

Collapse -
So they've downsized you.
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2014 9:59 PM PDT

That's been happening a lot and marketers know how to make it sound better for you too. I just saw a product with the label announcing "New easier to pour formula". I think that just means they've diluted it with more water.

Collapse -
They can put it in smaller bottles
by JP Bill / August 28, 2014 10:16 PM PDT

I just drink more smaller bottles. Devil

Collapse -
interesting history
by James Denison / August 29, 2014 3:11 AM PDT

I'd forgotten about the Imperial gallon vs US gallon. It seems US uses the older English measuring system and Canada the revised English system.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question118773.html

Both the imperial and United States customary systems of measurement derive from earlier English systems used in the Middle Ages, that were the result of a combination of the local Anglo-Saxon units inherited from German tribes and roman units brought by William the Conqueror after the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.
Having this shared heritage, the two systems are quite similar, but there are differences. The US customary system is based on English systems of the 18th century, while the Imperial system was defined in 1824, after American independence.
The imperial gallon was originally defined as the volume of 10 avoirdupois pounds of water under specified conditions. The imperial gallon (4.54609 litres (L)) is 20% larger than the United States liquid gallon (3.785411784 L). The imperial bushel (36.36872 L) is 8 imperial gallons and is about 3% larger than the US bushel (35.23907016688 L)
The subdivision of the imperial gallon in British apothecaries' fluid measure differed in two important respects from the corresponding United States subdivision: the imperial gallon was divided into 160 fluid ounces, the United States gallon into 128 fluid ounces; and a "fluid scruple" is included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

The Imperial gallon is used in everyday life (and in advertising) in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and less frequently in Canada, including fuel economy expression in advertisements and other official publications. Gallons used in fuel economy expression in Canada are Imperial gallons.[6][7][8]

The gallon was removed from the list of legally defined primary units of measure catalogued in the EU directive 80/181/EEC, for trading and official purposes, with effect from 31 December 1994. Under the directive the gallon could still be used - but only as a supplementary or secondary unit.[9] One of the impacts of this directive was that the United Kingdom amended its own legislation to replace the gallon with the litre as a primary unit of measure in trade and in the conduct of public business, effective from 30 September 1995.[10][11][12]

Ireland also passed legislation in response to the EU directive with the effective date being 31 December 1993.[13] Though the gallon has ceased to be the legally defined primary unit, it can still be legally used in both the UK and Ireland as a supplementary unit.

The Imperial gallon continues to be used as a unit of measure in Anguilla,[14] Antigua and Barbuda,[15] the Bahamas,[16] the British Virgin Islands,[17] the Cayman Is.,[18] Dominica,[19] Grenada,[20] Montserrat,[21] Myanmar (Burma),[22] St. Kitts & Nevis,[23] St. Lucia,[24] and St. Vincent & the Grenadines.[25]

Other than the United States, the US gallon is used in Liberia, Belize, Colombia, The Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, and Peru.[26]

Collapse -
it's still popular
by itsdigger / August 29, 2014 4:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Back in the day...
by Willy / August 29, 2014 3:23 AM PDT

As Milwaukee was the beer capital of US, they had cleaning out days. This was done to super-duper clean down the vats and thus before it got too bad. In effect it would produce a lot more bock beer. When that was done, the cleaning could take place. The public was invited to use any container that can be humanly handled and withdraw the remaining brew for their consumption. I guess those were pretty rough days or quiet days in the old town. Woooo, if I could carry a 5gal. bucket in or two walk out that would be awesome. I guess not done anymore. I guess the 99-can box is more pick-up truck hauls. The 1st car in Texas, a p/u. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.