Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

98 vs XP

by grandpaw7 / August 23, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

I'm getting ready to have 98 reinstalled. I find myself wondering if I would gain very much by switching to XP at this opportune time. I guess asking which would be better for me may be a little like asking what car is better, i.e., like beauty,it's in the eyes of the beholder. But still if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them. One distinct advantage to keeping 98 for a molasses mind like me is that wouldn't have to learn, and likely screw up, the new OS.

grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 98 vs XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 98 vs XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 98 vs XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: 98 vs XP

For me, I can no longer use 98 since I dabble with video editing and the file sizes exceed 4GB. That item alone makes the DOS based OSes ones that I can't use.

But for many 98 will continue to be usable for many years.

It's may advice that people learn how to install 98. It's not that hard once you collect the drivers for your machine.

There are other limits in the DOS based windows, but my choice not to duplicate such discussions but note which one item was the killer item.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 98 vs XP
by ChuckT / August 23, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

It is not too steep of a learning curve in the transition from W98 to WXP. Many things appear identical or nearly so. (Appearance is one thing, but there are plenty of changes under the skin.)

WXP is a much more robust OS, and more secure, despite what all the updates seem to imply, that the OS is full of bugs. Actually all the updates are MS's attempts to patch discovered holes, basically in security. (Teckies and Apple-lovers can argue all they want, just please don't include me, tell it to Speakeasy.)

WXP does seem to crash much less, does so many more things automatically "right" for you, and when an application does crash, the simple closure of that application (vs. needing a reboot) is usually all that is required.

The Plug-n-Play features of WXP are what W98 supposed to have been. (In W98 it was often referred to as "Plug-n-Pray" and while W98se made it better, WXP is better yet).

I would only suggest that you find out what the minimum PC requirements are for WXP, double that, and if you are in that ballpark, switch over.

Collapse -
And the winner is
by grandpaw7 / August 23, 2004 3:57 AM PDT

98. For one reason, but a big one for me, I'm weary of trying to learn. For another biggie, 98 has served my way of using computers well. For another, switching to something new would interfere with my quest for more simplicity in my remaing years.

So why did I ask? Well, I think I was hoping for a reply like Bob's.

Thanks to both Bob and Chuck. Maybe if someday I find time on my hands, I'll do the switching. Right now, that the opposite is the case.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Just a thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 23, 2004 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: And the winner is

I ran W98SE until about two years ago, thinking if it ain't broke. . . No one resisted more than me. But one day I took the plunge. And thereafter kicked myself for waiting so long. I found I could configure (about two clicks) XP to look just like 98.

XP is so much more stable than 98. I have had zero crashes, zero "won't shut down", zero headaches. When I decided to add PCs and build a network, XP did it in just a few clicks. I added sharing to four PCs (three desktops, one running 98, and one laptop), in honest to God, about four clicks per machine. I just enabled printer sharing and all I had to do was click "Share a Printer". Done.

Grandpaw7, you're probably no older than me and dirt, but it's really easy. As mentioned before in your questions, just make sure you have your video, sound, and modem drivers, and save any documents, pictures, emails, email addresses, favorites, etc. And that your PC will handle XP. As a general rule, 128 Meg RAM is minimum, and a 10 Gig HD. You can visit the MS XP site and it will tell you what you need.

And the good part!!! If you don't like XP you can reformat the HD and reinstall 98!

Collapse -
You can handle it grandpaw.
by radean / August 23, 2004 5:20 AM PDT

I'm a grandpaw myself,using XP, and my Dad is turning 86 this weekend, and he just got a new computer with XP.
Previously had ME, poor fellow.
Seems like he got it, and just went with it, no problems. Of course my nerd brother lives close to him, so he may have helped a bit, but still, after having XP, I would never consider going back to 98. XP is a much more stable system.
After saying that, if you decide to go with XP, still might want to wait awhile, like maybe the first of the year, to get a new XP system.
Things are in a state of flux right now, with the SP2 upgrade coming out.
But really think you would have no problem with XP. Can even make it look basically like WIN98 if you want. I did, because I didn't care for the XP "fluff". Happy

Collapse -
Re: You can handle it grandpaw.
by ozos / August 23, 2004 5:50 AM PDT

I would switch to WindowsXP Home Edition....it includes all the learning apps (I am pretty sure it should) it can basicly teach you to use it. The only difference from WindowsXP vs. Windows 98 is that XP is about 4 years newer and A LOT MORE STABLE...it is built more from Win2K or WinNT, using the same file system as those: NTFS vs. FAT32 from Windows 98 which is pased off MS-DOS...so it's limited by that. I would tell you go with XP...you will be happy because it actually requires less thinking for using the computer, it does some of the things automatilcy that in 98 you must do manually...you seem like a person who wants a very EASY system to use, a fresh install of Windows XP would probly be your best bet. I have a 4 year old install and no issues with it so far (I think the hardware will die b4 the software) while the older Win98 system I used to have...the OS started getting very messy after about 2 years.
Another note, Windows 95 isn't a good OS because it's not safe...how far behind can 98 be? If Win95 is being exploited for every single little problem with it...and Microsoft no longer really makes updates for it...Windows 98 was "retired" a few months ago...so when you can no long update it for security reasons...consider that.
Plus with SP2 you get Windows' Firewall (Not sure how good it is)

Collapse -
Stop getting me excited, bad heart
by grandpaw7 / August 23, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

By golly, I guess I'll take the plunge into XP land. I wish there weren't so many old coggers like me posting suggestions; it makes using old age as an excuse downright embarrassing.

I was concerned about having to spend yet more time at my computer desk after spending half my life here the last several days screwing up and then trying to figure out how to unscrew. But I reckon it would be better to spend some time learning a system which hopefully is a little more forgiving than to spend it trying to figure out how to fix things.

Thanks. grandpaw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.