Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

8x8 VOIP down?

by keithallmeroth / January 12, 2010 5:15 AM PST

My company uses 8x8 voip and our phones are dead. The 8x8 website is down and we can't get through via phones. We just get a busy signal. Anyone else having problems with 8x8 (Packet 8)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 8x8 VOIP down?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 8x8 VOIP down?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
8x8 VOIP down?
by bryantortega / January 12, 2010 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: 8x8 VOIP down?

we are having the same problem

Collapse -
YES 8x8 VOIP is down for me too.
by Alanslawn / January 12, 2010 5:38 AM PST

I am having the same problem. Tried the same things. Even rebooted the adapters. No Luck. I noticed in my search that they went down this time the last two years. Hmm.

Collapse -
Website back up
by keithallmeroth / January 12, 2010 5:41 AM PST

The 8x8 website is back up and I reset my phone. The phone went through it's paces and looked like it may be downloading new firmware. It's now back up and running.

Collapse -
Incoming calls ok outgoing still has problem
by Alanslawn / January 12, 2010 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Website back up

Incoming calls ok. but outgoing we can't hear them yet they can hear us.

Collapse -
mi service was just restored
by bryantortega / January 12, 2010 5:41 AM PST

restored @ 4:40

Collapse -
8x8 down here as well
by riskyplan / January 12, 2010 6:03 AM PST

We are on Eastern DST. Our phones went down about 4:00pm it's now 5:00 I had just taken a call at 3:50ish or so that went just fine. alarming !!

Collapse -
tech support said 15 min.
by Alanslawn / January 12, 2010 6:29 AM PST

Tech support just said full system restored in 15 minutes. It is currently 2:29 PST.

Collapse -
8x8 still down 2:51pm PST
by djonessf / January 12, 2010 6:52 AM PST

My clock says 2:51pm PST and I'm still down.

They need to work on the plan to communicate these issues through other sources.

Collapse -
8x8 down
by Advantage Media / January 12, 2010 7:22 AM PST

It's 4:21p MTN time and we're still down. Any news?

Collapse -
is anyone using comcast?
by dhvfdj / January 12, 2010 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: 8x8 down

Comcast's dns servers will not resolve 8x8.com but other dns servers will. ISP may be throttling traffic to this destination in an attempt to force customers to use their VoIp service

Collapse -
comcast
by djonessf / January 12, 2010 7:43 AM PST

Is there a workaround... I've got comcast as well

Collapse -
no. there is no workaround
by dhvfdj / January 12, 2010 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: comcast

not only are their dns servers preventing queries but Comcast is throttling traffic to 8x8.com. I am able to access 8x8 from my neighbor who has Verizon.

Collapse -
8x8 may be blocked by isp
by dhvfdj / January 12, 2010 7:27 AM PST

I called 8x8 using skype and got through. i used open dns and was able to query 8x8.com. but when usng their dns the query fails.

Collapse -
Do you have Comcast as your ISP
by dhvfdj / January 12, 2010 8:04 AM PST

If you do, they may be the culprit.

Collapse -
It may be a Comcast DNS issue
by mrm995 / January 12, 2010 8:19 AM PST

I added in a public DNS server to my router and I can now get to 8x8 website and my voip is back up. I wonder if this is a glitch or is someone blocking voip intentionally. Time will tell. Located in the Northeast at 7:15pm.

Collapse -
Recived email from President Dan Weirchi at 7;05 EST
by riskyplan / January 12, 2010 8:42 AM PST

Dear 8x8 Customer,

Today we experienced a disruption in our services that impacted your voice service. The outage appears to have been caused by a data failure with one of our underlying carriers, and we are working on identifying the root cause and why our backup services did not failover as they are designed to do.

Service has since been restored to most of our customers, and we are in the process of fully restoring service to all customers. If you are currently without service, please unplug the power connection to your 8x8 equipment, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect the power connection.

We understand the importance of providing reliable phone service to you and deeply regret the interruption this issue has caused. Delivering on and exceeding the service level goals we set for ourselves is our top priority.
We value your business and thank you for your patience.

Dan Weirich
President, 8x8, Inc. (Nasdaq: EGHT)

Mine is back up.

Collapse -
More 8x8 Problems
by gmuender / January 20, 2012 7:34 AM PST

Dear 8x8:

Collapse -
problem with carrier
by dhvfdj / January 12, 2010 9:00 AM PST

packet8 just sent an email stating that the problem came from a glitch from on of their carriers (ISP) It was Comcast we need net neutrality

Collapse -
We have 8x8 are are down right now
by obgya / January 20, 2012 7:44 AM PST

We have 8x8 VOIP and are down right now, and the 8x8 website is down. Does anyone have any information on this??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!