Audio & Video Software forum

Question

8mm to VHS to digitized to disc in no particular order

by dywins / May 17, 2015 12:28 PM PDT

Inherited box of assorted 8mm family home movies. 10+ yrs ago transferred to VHS. In Mar. I had the VHS tapes transferred to digitized DVD's. I was told that by digitizing them I would be able to edit them back into the right time frames, 1950,60, etc. HELP!! They told me to use Windows PlayMemories. My brain is fried. I have researched this forum, their help page and utube for several weeks. Is there anyone who can baby step me through the process? I have 18- 2 hr DVD's that I would like to view, cut, and put in order. (I am 68 yrs and I need to hurry) Thank you for time and help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 8mm to VHS to digitized to disc in no particular order
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 8mm to VHS to digitized to disc in no particular order
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with they fibbed a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2015 12:35 PM PDT

While you may eventually learn how to edit these videos, it was a stretch to tell you this. There are many steps to get down to the editing. I can't tell which steps you know and which you need a pointer. This is not meant to be a tutorial (those are on the web.)

1. Get the video off the DVD.

2. Create a new video from the DVD materiel.

3. Put these on new DVDs or other media.

Remember there is a lot of this on the web but let's see what step you need a pointer on first.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I agreed with Robert; let's start with item 1 first.
by Oldartq / May 18, 2015 7:58 AM PDT

You have put those dvd video on the computer first. How you do that might be the next thing, and there are many program out there that can do that. You said the dvd are digitize...is that in data format or commercial dvd format?

Collapse -
by dywins / May 21, 2015 5:16 AM PDT

Thank you both. I did get the dvd's to open. Most are MP4's and I can open and view. My 'edit' is not to enhance color, define edges or take spots off...my edit would be to take a 100' rope, cut out foot 10-22 and 56-66 and combine these pieces beginning with 56-66 and then add 10-22 and name it Co Ranch '57 and send it via email to my 5 siblings. I cannot see the individual frames of the film. The first frame shows all the way through. I can "clip" for a beginning and "clip for an end, and save this section as "trial movie" and save to my videos folder....but that way is not exact , just kinda close. Any suggestions for a bettter type of program? "You said the dvd are digitize...is that in data format or commercial dvd format?".....I don't know how to tell. They show MP4 . I have one that shows VOB that I can't get to play yet.

Collapse -
So you have the FILES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2015 5:20 AM PDT

Now you need a Video Editor. REMEMBER THIS IS NOT INTUITIVE WORK. Most folk need to take classes or do a lot of tutorials. I've yet to be able to fit enough in this small text box to replace this.

--> LET ME WRITE ABOUT VOB.

If it's a good file, it will play with VLC PLAYER. Because of all the crapware out there, use NINITE to get it. Here's why I use NINITE:
http://www.howtogeek.com/201354/ninite-is-the-only-safe-place-to-get-windows-freeware/

Can you share what video editor you are using to do this work?
Bob

Collapse -
Let's check that email requirement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2015 5:33 AM PDT

Comcast for example. The maximum size of an email cannot exceed 25 MB; this includes attachments, headers, text, formatting, etc.

That means about a TWO MINUTE video at most per email.

Now there is some ways to get more via a Dropbox share, but we are only at the beginning of your journey.
Bob

Collapse -
by dywins / May 21, 2015 8:29 AM PDT

Windows Live Movie Maker is what I have tried. The company that made the DVDs told me this would open all the DVDs. Sooo, if I can create the "movies" I want, I won't be able to email them...I would have to make a new DVD to send via snail mail. Will check out NINITE.

Collapse -
Then Movie Maker it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2015 8:41 AM PDT

Remember I don't use or advise use of any Microsoft "Live" product. Too iffy when it comes down to it. The supplied already fibbed a little so the VOB thing is well, I take it you fixed that issue?

Making a DVD from WLMM is full of folk asking how. For me, I never use it for this and other reasons but if you are telling you it works, we're done.
Bob

Collapse -
No, I don't like it
by dywins / May 22, 2015 2:07 PM PDT

This whole $ experience has been a bummer. Southtree may have done what they advertised, but their customer service assistance is lacking. Yes I have clipped a few sections out, but as I have learned here, they are to big to email or FB. Guess I will just copy and send them a DVD. VOB is still black boxes.. I think my baby steps are backing up. Thanks everyone.

Collapse -
VOB VOB BABY...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2015 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No, I don't like it
Collapse -
I haven't work with mp4 for awhile now, but...
by Oldartq / May 21, 2015 4:07 PM PDT

I believe that's data format if my memories is correct. So all you need to do is just copy the files to you computer harddrive. Then you can start editing, cutting and cataloging. Sounds like fun. Of course you lost me on you 100' rope thing though. The VOB one is probably a regular dvd. which would be done a little differently than your mp4. How are your sibling going to handle these video? mp4 will not likely be able to play it with your regular dvd or blu-ray player.

Collapse -
On the other hand,
by Oldartq / May 21, 2015 4:14 PM PDT

Unless you love to do this, if not...why not just make copies and send it to them. dvd discs are very inexpensive. Even harddrive or flashdrive are also inexpensive nowaday.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.