Camcorders forum

General discussion

8mm conversion or accesibility to a computer

by getthiskris / October 22, 2007 8:21 AM PDT

I am trying to figure out how I can transfer my 8mm video tapes to my computer, which is a Macintosh laptop. Is there any camcorders out there that have a USB output or a player that just plays the tapes that can connect to a modern computer? Or is there another way to accomplish this task? I would appreciate any insights, Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 8mm conversion or accesibility to a computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 8mm conversion or accesibility to a computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Macintosh laptop?
by boya84 / October 22, 2007 11:56 AM PDT

Macs of the last few years have FireWire. Or you could have a "video service" transfer for you... You really don't want to use USB for video import - and you will also need a lot of hard drive space - how much video time are you planning to transfer? Figure 10 gig - 13 gig per hour. Lap top drives usually aren't very large - so consider an external FireWire drive, too...

Collapse -
Macintosh G4
by getthiskris / October 22, 2007 12:29 PM PDT

I have a Powerbook G4, and yes i have an external drive, but how do I actually connect the camera or get the info. on the tapes to my firewire equipped comp.?

Collapse -
So we know what computer you have...
by boya84 / October 23, 2007 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Macintosh G4

Now can you tell us what camera you have? Manufacturer, and model - please...

Collapse -
Camera info
by getthiskris / October 23, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

ok its a Sony Handycam Vision Video 8 XR CCD-TRV16 NTSC, hope that helps,

Collapse -
so the way I would
by boya84 / October 23, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Camera info

connect this camera to an Apple Mac G4 laptop would be similar to connecting the camera directly to a TV or VCR... but you need another part to replace the VCR...

If you do not have the camcorder's manual, you can get it here:

You will need:
1) the AV cable that came with the camcorder (or an equivalent replacement).
2) an analog/digital bridge (converter). The Canopus ADVC55 or ADVC110 are probably enough for you.
3) a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable (this connects the a/d bridge to the computer).

It is actually pretty straightforward...
1) Plug the analog/digital bridge into the firewire port of the Mac G4 laptop (I am pretty sure all G4s came with at least one FW400 port) with the firewire cable. If you have only one FireWire400 port (some G4s came with two... then there are some with a FW800 port which you won't use),
2) Connect the external drive to the computer. I don't know what kind of external drive you have, but if th a/d bridge s using the only FireWire port, then the external hard drive will need to use a USB port - this is not optimal, but it will work.
3) Plug the camcorder into the a/d bridge with the AV cable.

I occasionally use an old Dazzle Hollywood a/d bridge, but I don't think Pinnacle Systems makes a firewire version anymore and iMovie will not recognize video import via USB (so don't bother getting a USB-based a/d bridge just because it is cheaper)...

Collapse -
By the way, once you get the video onto the hard drive,
by boya84 / October 23, 2007 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: so the way I would

I presume you want to edit it... Most folks would want to burn a DVD - but since you have not told us which G4 PowerBook you have we don't know if your optical drive is DVD read-only or if it is a SuperDrive which reads and writes DVD...

The first with an optional SuperDrive was PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz)

Collapse -
by getthiskris / October 23, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

well, actually i wasn't going to burn a DVD, my Mac doesn't have the burner, but I wanted to upload some videos to the internet. But thankyou for the information. Oh one more, how do you upload videos to a site like Youtube? Do you need certain software?

Collapse -
By the way
by getthiskris / October 23, 2007 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Great!

this is my comp. info, but no DVD burner. I have only 1 firewire port, and my external hard drive is firewire, so i guess i'll have to do the video in small amounts.

PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Collapse -
If you are using iMovie,
by boya84 / October 23, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Great!

you have what you need to import, edit and "share" the movie suitable for uploading to YouTube... If you need help with that, consider posting those questions at the Mac Software forum here at CNET...

Collapse -
Thank you
by getthiskris / October 24, 2007 7:23 AM PDT

Thanks again, i truly am happy and grateful for your advice and help.

Collapse -
You are very welcome.
by boya84 / October 24, 2007 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I remember the first time I went through what you are going through - I won't totally ruin it for you, but it should go something like, "That's it? I should have done this sooner..."

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?