TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

888 OR 550 OR 720

by smile317 / December 11, 2007 9:01 PM PST

Does anyone have experience with the Harmony remotes that could tell me which is best between the 880 / 550 / 720?Or are they just different levels depending on what you need?I don't need anything incredibly complex: just to control a TV, receiver, DVD player, and DirecTV box.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 888 OR 550 OR 720
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 888 OR 550 OR 720
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jostenmeat / December 12, 2007 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: 888 OR 550 OR 720
All Harmony remotes do the same thing. Outside of having RF as opposed to IR. For me, the biggest factor between them would be the ergonomics, ie, size of buttons and if they are too "clicky".

While there are many many many that are happy with all the various models, the 550 has extremely tiny # buttons, and the other buttons are very clicky.

The 880, IIRC, has a much better interface for the hand but I don't like rechargables at times, particularly here. i've programmed this model for a friend before, and the battery just doesn't have any gas left in its tank. The charger and remote don't always work well together, have to play/move-it-around to get it charge.

Again, Im probably more gripey than others, and I want them to do exactly what I want. By far most others are extremely happy with right out of the box.

hope this helps.
Collapse -
The 720 is more or less a newer....
by RustyDallas / December 12, 2007 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: .

slimmer 880. Not much differance past that. If I was picking from those two, I'd get the 880 just because Best Buy has been running it very cheap. I can't remember for sure, but I think for around 129.00 on black Friday. The 550 is a step down. Doesn't have rechargable battery and docking station, color screen, or motion sensor. If you can get the 880 at 129.00, or so, that would be my pick. As Josten said, they all function the same way anyway. None of these models use radio frequecy so you need near line of sight. I just bought a remote myself but wanted RF. That kicks the price up, though. I would have bought either the 890 or the Monster 300. Didn't really care but I found the Monster for less money. I really like it and find the Monster tech support to be the best I've ever dealt with. Never called Harmony but I think they have a very good reputation also. Not a small thing with these items. I can almost guarantee you'll have to call tech support several times to get it programmed exactly the way you want it.

Rusty

Collapse -
is it a direct TV DVR box?
by gabereyes / December 12, 2007 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: 888 OR 550 OR 720

the 880 and the 720 has a color screen and rechargable base and battery and it automaticly lights up when you pick it up, the 880 also has 8 custom soft keys at the top of the remote vs 6 on the 720, which can be labeled to do anything you like.

My 880 has all of the DVR speicalty buttons on it like, DVR list, On demand, day forward, day back, and I also put TV sleep and pic mode on there because I use them alot.

But the 550 with four soft keys and the 720 with 6, can do all the same thing by change pages on the remote, it is easier if every thing is on the the first page.

I own the 880 and the 659 I love them both the only problem is the 659 didnt have a page up and down on it which doesnt matter with direct TV because the page up and down is the same as Channel up and down, and I only got 4 soft keys.
As for the 880 I also had a problem with the charger base, you have to clean the connection some times and I had to take it apart one time to fix the connectors, plus it about a year old now and I think I need a new battery, its only lasting about 2 days before charging.

So I would say if you are going to have alot of people using this remote and you dont have a DVR, I would get the 550 and maybe the 659 its not a pretty looking but it has 4 buttons on top for watch TV, Watch DVD, and Listen to music and that make it a little easier for some people and the same amount of soft keys.

and if its just you and/or few adults the 880 and 720 can give you more flexablity, but everyone will have to charge it when the battery gets low, and if you can get them to put it on the charger when the battery gets low, show me how so I can get my wife to it. lol

hope this hope
gabe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?