Mac Hardware forum

Question

840 EVO Not Working

by henryoakley / November 14, 2014 5:11 AM PST

Hi, I have just bought a Samsung 840 Evo SSD and put it into an Inateck USB 3.0 enclosure for my new MacBook Air.

When I plug it in, it asks me if I want to Initialise, Ignore or Eject the drive. If I choose Initialise, nothing happens.

If you look in Disk Utility, the Samsung root shows up, but no partitions. I am unable to reformat the drive or add a partition so that I can use it. I can't do anything with the drive.

I've tried to update the firmware etc. but don't get very far with no optical.

I've tried running the Windows versions using CrossOver, but the Samsung Magician keeps crashes on start and the firmware update can't see the drive.

Short of sending the drive back, what are my options?

Can I set up and update the drive using a Windows machine, and then reformat later as OSX Journalled?

I don't actually have a Windows machine here, I'd have to borrow one, so really getting it working on OSX would be preferable.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 840 EVO Not Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 840 EVO Not Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Got it working... Still need to update etc
by henryoakley / November 14, 2014 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: 840 EVO Not Working

OK, just tested enclosure with a 320GB Hitachi 7200RPM HD. Worked fine.

So then put then SSD back in, plugged it in... it worked! Don't know why doing that helped?

Still need to sort out the firmware and update... will use a PC at work to do it

Collapse -
Getting there
by henryoakley / November 14, 2014 5:09 PM PST

Thanks for your help.

I've just been looking through the Samsung downloads page at the updates and have a few questions, if anyone can help?

1. Do I need an optical drive for the PC version? Looked like it was just an .exe file for the latest updates.

2. What does the Magician actually do on the PC? Is it just for setting up the drive initially, or does it do the updates too? If it's just initial setup, I guess I don't need this?

3. The Performance update says it includes firmware updates too. Does this mean I don't need to do the separate Dec '13 firmware update? It says it will first install Firmware EXT0CB6Q, the Dec '13 update that you can download has a different code, EXT0BB6Q.

4. I initially formatted the drive into the Mac format. To get it to show up on a PC, I'll have to reformat it as FAT32, before I do the updates. I know FAT32 can only have files up to 4GB, is that right? The files I'll be using the drive for a lot bigger than that. Any problems formatting it back to Mac format after I've updated?

Thanks

Collapse -
I Give Up!
by henryoakley / November 15, 2014 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Getting there

OK, I give up with this drive. I've tried everything to update it.

I've tried CrossOver, 2 different enclosures, a direct SATA to USB lead. I've tried the same on a Windows machine too. I've tried replacing SATA drivers, updating the other drivers. I've tried everything. No joy.

The magician software doesn't recognise it on either machine. The firmware updater doesn't recognise it either. Nothing I have tried can get either machine to recognise the drive to update it.

I have managed to get it show up on both machines now, so I can use it, but no way at all to update the firmware to avoid the newly documented speed issues.

I stupidly threw away the box (it was recycling day yesterday!) and so cannot send it back. So I will use it as it is, for now and see how it fares.

However, if you're on a Mac (or maybe even on a PC too), my advice is to avoid this drive and go for another brand!

Honestly, two days pulling my hair out, reading every forum under the sun trying to sort this out... I wish I'd just gone for a couple of USB 3.0 sticks or a crucial!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?