Laptops forum

General discussion

802.11 mini pci board...

I want to replace the wireless Lan 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter in my IBM Thinkpad X40 with a 2200 3b Mini PCI adapter in hopes of getting a little more wireless range by using the G mode. I opened up the computer and note that there are two antenna connections (main and aux) on the present Mini. The new Mini board has the same connections. I'm wondering how these little antenna connections come off and how to do it (tweezers?) Any help would be very appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 802.11 mini pci board...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 802.11 mini pci board...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Some pull off, some unscrew.

In reply to: 802.11 mini pci board...

Collapse -
been thinking the same...

In reply to: 802.11 mini pci board...

I've been itching to upgrade my Sonys'
'B' board too. (assuming its the same type of
connector) The connector basically comes
off by sliding them apart carefully. You may
need to jimmy the connector apart with a small
flat screwdriver especially if its some kind
of locking connector type.
Let me know if the upgrade is worth the effort...

Collapse -
Mini replacement

In reply to: been thinking the same...

I finally got enough guts to pull the two antenna leads off of my old mini pci board. I was afraid I might damage the snaps and it takes a little force to pull the leads off. I then put my new board in and rebooted. While the computer recognized the new board, I wasn't able to make a internet connection with it. There is a detailed checklist with the installation instructions which says that I should remove my old "IBM Access Connections" software before running the new software installation. What I'm now afraid of is that if I delete the "IBM..." software and then I have trouble with getting the new unit to connect, I might not be able to get back to my present configuration. So, I put the old board back until I know more about this matter. Maybe I'll call IBM tech support and ask them about my downside risk.

Collapse -
If you have install disks . . .

In reply to: Mini replacement

You should be able to restore that software with no problem, if you need the old board.

Also, it should be on the IBM website.

So, have no fear. If the IBM BIOS let you put in a new board and get that far, you'll be able to make it work.

Collapse -
take the plunge!

In reply to: Mini replacement

If the Bios and OS has no gripes about the
new board then just go for it! Your IBM
connection has the old board listed in the
drop down menu and I'll bet my bootloader
that XP is 'smart' enough to know and
update the new new pci card and should
automatically appear in the drop down list.

just make sure to perform a small hardware
test via Device manager to make sure you
re-assembled every thing properly and are
using the right parts. Worse case scenario,
you will have manually add new hardware and
update the driver.

How much did you pay for the board if you dont
mind me asking??

Collapse -
I got mine for $24 :)

In reply to: take the plunge!

I'm not the author, but I got an Intel ProWireless 2200 for $24 from www.mypcgoodies.com

Collapse -
heh...

In reply to: I got mine for $24 :)

I should have known. $ony wants some 200++
for theirs. Not a bad find! Now would you
happen to know the firmware revision you
got with yours??

Looks like this is the one me...
http://snipurl.com/fk84

Thanks

Collapse -
Swap???

In reply to: I got mine for $24 :)

Did you swap a mini 2100 out for a 2200 and if so, did you have any problems getting the new board to work correctly? Also, what kind of computer? I'm still sitting on my hands itching to give the new board a try, but I hate to screw up a working system for several days of grief getting my computer to recognize the 2200 and make a wireless connect to the internet.

Collapse -
Get them on ebay...

In reply to: take the plunge!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.