HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

8 Core Mac Pro. Confirmed???

by terryparker / March 14, 2007 10:58 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 8 Core Mac Pro. Confirmed???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 8 Core Mac Pro. Confirmed???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Absolutely!
by VidPro / March 17, 2007 3:32 PM PDT

This sort of thing has shown up before, both as changes to websites that were set up ready to transfer to live as soon as the product was ready to ship, and the page was accidentally exposed, and once in a while as a typo. Happy

Collapse -
Awesome
by StargateFan / March 26, 2007 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely!

That is all I have to say about this, it's just awesome. Apple certainly has the market lead on this one, and I feel they really need to take advantage of it, and so the computing industry that they can put out really advanced products and have the most advanced in computer technology first. However it poses a few problems which could easily be taken care of. And truth be told I would love to see Apple take care of these problems. A system like this must be a gaming rig, it has to be, therefore I continued on with this assumption.
Macs do have the hardware to do it, they are beautifully built machines with impressive components. This coming from a Windows fan. And gaming on one of their cinema monitors would be sweet! However there isn't a large game library geared towards the Mac platfrom. Hopefully this is the sign that Apple is serious in openings the gaming market on the Mac. Apple needs games that will run natively on the Mac. Or at least they can provide some type of semi solution. Possibly create an app that allows a user to port a games base code into exe code which will run on a Mac. such software i believe is in the works for the developing companies. Such a program will be excessively complex when developing, and would need to be highly lock downed so users would not be able to access or view the base code of the game.

The point is we need games for native Mac operation, and we need a wide selection. Apple needs to push developers like Microsoft does, developers really need to consider the Mac a viable platform so they can release games that can be universally installed and executed. Mac also needs to revamp or get rid of OpenGL in favor of something that will seriously rival DirectX, if they want any chance of succeeding. DirectX is great we need a mac equivalent. Dual booting into Windows via Boot Camp, Virtual PC, VMware, or Parallels will not fly with some users.

They have the expertise the advance hardware and certainly the advance software (Mac OS). They really need to push the envelope with this. They need to go out to developers and say, hey guys Windows isn't the only OS out there we have great stuff get in here and get your hands wet, you will enjoy this platform. They need to make developers building on a windows only frame of mind that this is an operating system which can rival windows. If Apple and Steve Jobs wants to begahn retaking their market share and reliving there glory days, or at leat begin to share the market with Windows, this is a great place to start, get the gamers pumped. Let the gamers realize that these machines and this operating system, isn't for novice and graphic design users. That it is high tech, it is advance, and it can handle and perform as well as windows can. Then Apple needs to set it's guns on IT, as far as most IT users go, Mac OS is a childrens toy. I am an IT guy but I feel differently, it's advanced and Apple needs to really sure people this, that there OS is not a toy, it's serious business.

Great Job Apple, kick start it.

Collapse -
Yup!
by osiris24x / March 26, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

Yes, this is real. The chip has been in the pipeline for quite some time and Apple has been planning an 8 core release for some time. Should be good!

Roger Michaels
Macintosh Consultant

Message was edited by: admin

Collapse -
On what do you base
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 26, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup!

your assertion?

As an aside, the CNET TOS frown on website promotion as part of the signature.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.