HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

780i SATA Optical Drive Issue

by satish_997 / March 27, 2008 6:03 AM PDT

After getting the blue screen of death over and over, I called EVGA tech, and they said this is a known problem with the 780i motherboard and SATA optical drives. He said to try unplugging my optical drives. This worked, but I obviously still need these optical drives. I tried plugging the optical drives back in only in different ports. This worked for awhile, but then it started happening all over again. Switching the optical drive SATA cables back to the original ports seems has fixed this again, temporarily. Does anyhow have a more permanent solution? My drivers are up-to-date.

When I get the blue screen of death it says
nvgts.sys ...
at the bottom of the screen.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 780i SATA Optical Drive Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 780i SATA Optical Drive Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually this means a new motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

Call who sold it to you and ask to exchange it for a good one.

Collapse -
well...
by satish_997 / March 27, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

EVGA tech already said it's a known problem with this motherboard so even if I take the time to completely disassemble it again and wait for the replacement there's no guarantee I wouldn't get a motherboard with the exact same problem. Plain

Collapse -
Sorry I was not clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

You don't want the same make and model. Change to someone else's and not the same chipset.

Collapse -
I suppose I could
by satish_997 / March 27, 2008 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry I was not clear.

I should. My motherboard is completely packed though. There's only one PCI-e slot left open. Plain In other words, I'm just being lazy and hoping to either find a fix myself or wait until EVGA comes out with their fix before returning this motherboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.