PC Hardware forum

Question

$750 PC upgrade for gaming

by Duffman49 / December 28, 2013 3:56 PM PST

Hi all,
My PC knowledge is pretty limited, so I could use some help deciding what to upgrade from my current rig. My Budget is $750 max.

I'd like to run demanding games at 1080p with no FPS lag. (Higher graphics settings would be nice, too). I play BF4, AC4, DayZ, Planetside 2, and heavily-modded Skyrim. Right now, I can run BF4 on minimum settings at about 60 FPS.

Here are my current specs:
PSU: 500 Watts
MB: M68MT-S2
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core Processor
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7750
RAM: 8GB DDR3

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $750 PC upgrade for gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $750 PC upgrade for gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's the mfg, series and model number for the PSU ?
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2013 10:18 PM PST

And roughly speaking, how old is the system ? Is this a clone or a brand name PC ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Performance upgrade
by Duffman49 / December 29, 2013 4:33 AM PST

My system is two years old but i upgraded the graphics card last year. I was really looking for specific suggestions on what parts i should upgrade and what to buy to improve gaming performance. New GPU? New CPU? That kind of thing

Collapse -
We're trying to give a recommendation but you didn't give us
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2013 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Performance upgrade

the PSU info. All 500W PSUs are NOT alike.

Bottomline, the most bang for the buck comes from your GPU and the faster GPUs usually call for more robust PSUs. You can head over to the link below and see what the current offerings and options are.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

So depending on which GPU you pick, you may also need a better more robust PSU to support it. That's the reason we asked about whether it was a BIG BOX PC or a clone and more detail specifically about the PSU.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Clarification Request
E-imza satis ve kurulum
by fatihsel23 / December 30, 2013 6:37 AM PST

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"no FPS lag" = no known PC can do that today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 11:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
What the other people said
by Viper1979 / December 30, 2013 11:52 PM PST

You should also add an SSD Drive to the mix. It will help with loading times in games and as well as program and computer startup. I recommend Plextor for SSD drives.

Plextor M5P Xtreme 256. You can also get a 128 if you want to save some money.

-T

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?