TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

720p vs 1080p

I am ready to buy a TV and am looking at the Samsung 5667...

Wondering how much of a "real" difference a 1080p will be when it is out and if the difference of 720p vs 1080p and the extra cost of the 1080p set is worth me waiting.

Like everything once something is released a new techology comes online...

My attitude is why wait and get this one now (the reviews seem really good), but wodneirng what other opinions are.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 720p vs 1080p
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 720p vs 1080p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
720p vs 1080p, that is the question.

In reply to: 720p vs 1080p

Hello,

When it comes to which is better, it really comes down to what are you looking for and what are your tastes.

With the higher resolution you will always have a crisper look, more vivid colors etc...

What you will get with the lower 720p screen resolution will be a softer look.

Both look great, but the 720p simply won't be as detailed.

If you are a gamer, the new PS3 coming out is boasting of supporting 1080p.

Also, if you get the 1080p, you can always scale it down to the 720p if you like the softer look.

Just some thoughts.

Take care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How to Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! go to www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
problem solved I think

I just got my hi-def home theater up and running and I can tell you this much When Iam watching lets say n.a.s.c.a.r racing they switch from 720 to 1080 all the time and the difference is mindbending and for a true 1080 make sure you use a d.v.i. interface good luck I just joined this group and would like to hear from you respond to stewart norrie

Collapse -
not at all

In reply to: problem solved I think

Fox broadcasts all of their high def programing in 720P. I have not know them to date to have a broadcast in 1080i never the less switch back and forth during the broadcast. You Even using the Dvi connection your sony rear projection will not show the full detail of 1080i. There are only a handfull of sets that are out that can display 1920 X 1080. Don't get me wrong your tv is a great tv but 1080P it isn't. You "should" be able to tell a nice differnce between 1080P and 720P but only each individual can make that decision for themselves.

Collapse -
1080p price

In reply to: not at all

Will there be that much of a difference in look and more importnatly how much a difference will there be for the price...

I would rather wait for a 1080p, but i only have so much to spend so i may to settle for the 720p (which is not a bad consulation).

When are the Samsung 1080p coming out anyway and does anyone know the potential costs.

Collapse -
it depends

In reply to: 1080p price

the samsung's should be out within the next month. But it will depend on whether you are looking at the table top or pedestal models. The 56" is base priced at 5K and the table tops should be a little under 4500 for the same size.

Collapse -
Thanks...

In reply to: it depends

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
First Samsung DLP 1080p deliveries

In reply to: Thanks...

Spoke with J&R (jr.com) in New York City today. They said they are expecting their first shipment of the pedestal DLP HL-R5688W the first week of July. This was an update from two weeks ago when they said the end of June. They are selling it for $3999 plus $167 shipping.

Vanns.com web page indicates "early July" for both the 5688 pedestal and the 5678 tabletop.

Collapse -
720p vs 1080p

Keep in mind that HDTV is still a work in progress.
ABC uses 720P, NBC likes 1080i. A TV will display at the resultion that is encoded in the braodcast stream, if it can. If it can't, it will down convert to a resultion that it can display. John

Collapse -
720p vs 1080p

There won't be a plethora of 1080p content for at least a year. Don't get me wrong, there will be SOME including the next gen XBOX due out this holiday season.

However, you're more likely going to pay a premium for it when it comes out. That being said, if you're not a gamer, the 720p sets should be coming down even further in price in the next month or so with the new 1080Ps coming out. You may find a great deal.

But, if you're like me, and you have to have it NOW, go for it. The investment should set you at the height of tech for the next 3 years or so, at which time you can look to step up again.

Collapse -
Thanks for the Help

Thanks for all the help...

As much as I want a 1080p I think it will be out of my price range in the short term and really don;t want to wait any longer... Like everything once something is out, something new comes along and you will never make a purchase.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Collapse -
Think about this.

In reply to: Thanks for the Help

While it is always true of our current state in electronics, that there will always be the next thing. I think that 1080p is worth waiting for, for a couple of reasons. The two next gen DVD formats both seem to point at 1080p as their resolution of choice (not that you would be able to play such formats at a lower res), which should keep 1080p at the top for quite a bit of time. Next for gamers both the xbox360 and ps3 are pointing at 1080p which will also keep this resolution in the lime light for years to come. And finally for the few people who will use their TV for a computer monitor, 1080p provides a resolution which is higher then what almost all pc users use on their computer monitors. 1280x720 (720p) is not low by any means but I run 1280x1024 on my computer monitor, and would love to run 1920x1080 (1080p) on a TV. So my personal advice is, if you can wait until the New Year for 1080p prices to normalize, do it. That is when I will start shopping for my next TV. Plus there are many Fed regulations going in around now which are forcing TV manufactures to have certain TV sizes all digital among other requirements. It may be wise to wait for all of this to fall out. Once it does that could mean for lower prices. Just my 2cents
-Justin

Collapse -
Correction

In reply to: Think about this.

Correction on this line.

The two next gen DVD formats both seem to point at 1080p as their resolution of choice (not that you would be able to play such formats at a lower res),

i should have read

The two next gen DVD formats both seem to point at 1080p as their resolution of choice (not that you wouldn't be able to play such formats at a lower res),

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!