TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

720p plasma vs. 1080p LCD?

by DetroitRocker99 / March 5, 2007 1:04 PM PST

Does anybody have any suggestions? I am looking between the 50" Pioneer PHP-5070 HD and the 46" Samsung LN-S4695D. I think the Pioneer has better color and clarity, but the thing holding me back is that it is only 720p. Am I better off sacrificing 4" for the extra detail of the 1080? How will both of them look watching standard def and HD? Am I going to be upgrading 4 years from now because everything is 1080? The price is about the same, so that is a non-issue at this point. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 720p plasma vs. 1080p LCD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 720p plasma vs. 1080p LCD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go with the plasma
by bloodyR / March 5, 2007 10:56 PM PST

Unless you're sitting five feet from the TV, you won't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I went through this same dilemma recently, and I ended up picking the 50" Panasonic plasma. The picture was simply better than the LCDs I looked at.

Collapse -
Some FYI!!!!
by jcrobso / March 6, 2007 12:02 AM PST

Everything in NOT going to be 1080!!!!!!!
The difference between 720p and 1080i/p is very hard see.
"How will both of them look watching standard def?"
Sadly this tends to be a craps shoot, some sets do very good job and some don't. When HDTV are reviewed they do NOT rate how the does on SD video.
If you have a lot of SD video the set that does the best job would be the the one to get. John

Collapse -
And here is my 1 cent...
by jaymzbo / March 6, 2007 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Some FYI!!!!

I, too, am looking to buy HDTV in next few weeks and thought I would share some of what I have found....

The 3/07 issue of Consumer Reports rated several LCDs, plasmas, and RPS and one of the criterion used in the rating was SD (480i signal that was routed over component cable). The Samsung 46" LNs4695d was not reviewed but its smaller cousin, the 40" LNs4095d was and it received only a "good" mark for SD ("good" is right in middle of excellent and poor). The only 50" pioneer plasma that made their top 10 was the purevision PDP5071HD. It, too, only received a rating of "good" for SD. Now, not everyone seems to think CR is the best at rating HDTVS. However, I have used CR all my life and most importantly as a GUIDE in buying cars, tube tvs, etc. They have been following the HDTV scene almost from its inception and will be a factor my my next purchase. Of course, nothing beats hanging out in BB or whatever and judging for yourself.

If interested, here's a thread from AVS on the php5070
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=727758
Be forewarned: lots of information and a lot of reading but it should mostly be from owners of this model. While you're on the AVS forum, do a search on the Samsung and you'll likely find a owner's thread on that model as well. If CNET has reviewed these models, I'd read the user opinions as well.

best of luck....James

Collapse -
Consumer Reports vs. CNET
by DetroitRocker99 / March 6, 2007 3:42 AM PST

Thanks James. It seams like one cannot do enough research on this major purchase!! I have CR quite a bit myself, and the trouble I'm having is the conflicting reviews they have with CNET. For example, the Pionner PDP5070 (same as 5071, except the 71 has two remotes) has the best rating out of any plasma (aside from the new Pioneer Pro 1080p) with 8.3 and the editor's choice from CNET. CR rated it so-so. What are you thinking of getting?

Collapse -
I know what you mean about research conflicts...
by jaymzbo / March 6, 2007 7:27 AM PST

I should have mentioned that CR rated the PHP 5071HD as very good on criteria like HD pq, DVD playback, and sound quality and an Excellent mark on ease of use of remote (if that is an issue); It was only on SD signals that it rated as good. So I would think it to be much better than so-so. I like this round of CR reviews as it specifically uses SD signal pq as a criteria and is the only reference I have found to do that.

I also read the reviews here, especially actual user/owner opinions. And there are conflicting opinions no matter where I look. That seems to be par for the course and while it gets frustrating, it gets one thinking. Sometimes, I think I am over-researching this to death but as this is such a major purchase, I try to get feedback from as many soureces as possible. All I can think of is when I have 2 models in mind, I will march down to BB and ask them to display the picture from a SD source. Because in the end, it is a matter or personal taste. I would like to avoid any potential pitfalls though, and I guess that is why I spend so much time on forums like these and reading electronics mags.

MY HDTV needs are sure to be different. If I had to rank my habits it would look like this: 1) avid gamer 2)blu-ray, dvd playback 3) casual tv viewing. I have gone back and forth between wanting 1080P or not. I am deciding that since I spend so much time on PS3 and am closer to screen, 1080P is way to go. I also do not have budget/space for high end plasmas and am looking at LCD. I currently like the Sony Bravia kdl40xbr2. I am also looking at Sharp Aquos and Samsung LN series. I am leaning towards the SOny, although I am wanting to see how the new Sony kdl 40s3000 (to be released in 4/07?) pans out. The sony has a lot of great reviews on several different sites/mags. There have been some issues with this sony including clouding and even with PS3 users which is obviously a concern for me and why I wait for the new line to come out. And no matter what I read, I will be testing things out for my own eyes before I sign on dotted line.

I'll be the 1st to tell you I'm no expert on this; I think it is great that you have narrowed your choices down to two. It means you're getting close to HD bliss!! I think it comes down to knowing what your needs are and then testing it out. I just wish more reviewers would rate SD as part of their review as I don;t think that all novices (like myself) are always aware that their tv may run the risk of inferior SD playback.

But anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...James

Collapse -
Consumer Reports a good resource, but always difficult to
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2007 7:46 AM PST

read almost between the lines to figure exactly what their most important criteria is. For instance their auto ratings always involve "family suitedness" which means any coupe always has a point deducted compared to the four door preference for family cars. Just saying you can't make any casual assumptions.

Collapse -
Just my two cents
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2007 1:10 AM PST

Just my opinion but I feel that since 720 is so good & certainly more economical, that if not strongly motivated to go beyond, we have already gotten into the law of diminishing returns.

Heck, movies are often kept sort of soft focus to maintain the magic they're trying to spin & also not have our concentration on the make up, but the story.

Collapse -
REMEMBER 1080i IS THE STANDARD
by stewart norrie / March 6, 2007 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: Just my two cents

On my 1080P d.l.p. set 720 does look good but 1080I is eyepopping especially on larger display sizes and 1080P will make you wet yourself ha ha steweee

Collapse -
720p plasma vs. 1080p LCD?
by mr-jukes / November 26, 2008 9:24 AM PST

Hi,

I have both the models you are looking at. I too had the same problem, but bought both. Now that I have them both I noticed the plasma to look much better even though its 720p. What I should of done was buy a 1080p plasma, NOW that will wet your pants!!!

Collapse -
720P vs 1080P
by sum613 / November 28, 2008 2:31 AM PST

I went through the same questions when I bought my TV and the basic truth is that 720P is just as good as 1080P unless you're sitting 4ft away from a 50+ inch set.

Most digital TV (satellite/cable) is either 720P/1080i, you will NOT see anyone broadcasting 1080p signals, the bandwidth demands far outweigh the cost and it would be a stupid business decision to do so.

The "only" 1080p signals you're going to see are from BluRay movies and a select few PS3 games (not all games are 1080p as most think they are).

Go with the best price/performance ratio, but do not let 1080p vs 720p even enter the equation...the big stores will try and convince you that it will make a big difference, its a lie.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?