Computer Help forum

General discussion

70 or more spam emails a day with Hotmail & Outlook!!

by 6string_slinger / February 8, 2006 3:19 AM PST

I have Yahoo mail, Outlook express, and Hotmail.

I never get much spam at all with Yahoo, maybe 1 a day.

Hotmail & Outlook both are loaded with Spam everyday, maybe 70 to 100 junk emails! Hotmail seems to ignore the "report spam" feature and may possibly be selling my addy to spammers?? The block sender list is always too full to add new ones.

Outlook is rediculous, I'd bet over half are for prescription drugs and ***** enlargement ads!!!!!!!!

Whats the deal and how can I stop it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 70 or more spam emails a day with Hotmail & Outlook!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 70 or more spam emails a day with Hotmail & Outlook!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cloudmark
by knugs / February 8, 2006 3:35 AM PST

I have found Cloudmark to be great with Outlook. You can download a free 30 day trial on their website, www.cloudmark.com, but after that you will have to pay for it.

Collapse -
Cloudmark, can I trust it?
by uling / February 9, 2006 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Cloudmark

I?ve been using Cloudmark for a year or two. BUT, during this period the amount of spam has quadrupled and, since I?m rarely sending and getting mail, I?ve got the impression that Cloudmark one way or the other are involved. Just to encourage me to pay the yearly fee?

Collapse -
I Really Don't Think So
by Robert K / February 9, 2006 9:49 PM PST

The reason I subscribed to Cloudmark was BECAUSE of the bombardment of spam mail. It doesn't seem to be any worse than it was a year ago. I pretty much trust it from taking non spam and putting it into the spam folder, but I look in the spam folder about once a week before I delete the files, just to be sure. Every once in awhile I may find an ad from something I actually subscribed to in the spam folder and unblock that one.

Collapse -
I use PopFile. Free, works with my ISPs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 3:44 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bob: how does this compare with K9 - or does it?
by gklein / February 8, 2006 4:09 AM PST
Collapse -
I think I had to pass on K9. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 4:21 AM PST

It didn't work with MSN's SPA encryption login system. Very few do. Even Norton didn't at one time. Maybe still?

Bob

Collapse -
It didn't work with MSN's SPA encryption login system ?
by gklein / February 8, 2006 6:39 AM PST

Bob, I'm sure I understand that, but I have been using
K9 with MSN messenger signed in as I use a web cam frequent with them.

I'll gladly switch from K9 for something more efficient.

Collapse -
It's been quite a long time since I tried them all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 9:10 AM PST

That's good news.

Popfile is not nirvana. But it's free and works.

I can't tell if you are using MSN's SMTP/POP3 email which requires SPA. Messenger would be fine...

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just installed POP3 - seems to run faster; thanks
by gklein / February 8, 2006 9:35 AM PST
Collapse -
You can
by PudgyOne / February 8, 2006 3:46 AM PST

You can change your spam setting in the options of hotmail(on the server)

or I would and did get rid of my hotmail account.

I have gotten a better email account.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Mozilla Thunderbird?
by chuckieu / February 8, 2006 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: You can

I use Thunderbird to collect my Yahoo Mail on both Windows XP and Linux machines with good success. chuck

Collapse -
GMail
by tom.clarke / February 9, 2006 5:59 PM PST

Get hold of a Gmail account. If you don't already have an invite, you must know someone who has invites to give away. GMail is much much better than Hotmail or Yahoo mail with advanced features and extra storage. If you really can't find an invite, I can send you one.

Then tell you family and friends your new email address. Then (and this is the important bit) never put that address in any online form unless you're confident that you can trust whoever you're giving your details to. Almost all spam occurs because at some point you have given your email address to an unscrupulous company or individual who has then sold your details on.

Collapse -
GMail has problems too
by Oclvroadbikerider / February 9, 2006 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: GMail

I created an account about 6 months ago and have sent only about two or three messages total. Already I'm getting considerable spam in it.
My rarely used hotmail account gets tons of spam.
I have had a few Yahoo accounts for years. A couple get almost no spam, the others tons, although the filters get rid of most of it.

Collapse -
The difference between GMail and Hotmail and Yahoo...
by ericasavaaree / February 10, 2006 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: GMail has problems too

The big advantage that GMail has is that hardly any spam lands in your inbox. Every day, I get a quick glance through the e-mail in my inbox vs. the e-mail in my spam; almost every time (so far, I estimate 88 times out of 90), mail that's supposed to be in the spam folder gets there and not into my inbox. The same doesn't happen for Hotmail and Yahoo, for both seem stricter and hence, some of my regular mail ends up in the spam folder.

Hence, I recommend Gmail as well. And if you need an invite, you can ask me for one as well.

Collapse -
try mailwasher
by hleusch / February 9, 2006 6:27 PM PST

Try mailwasher which has a good heuristic method for discovering scam. In addition you can blacklist e-mail addresses or domains in which case those e-mails will not only be deleted but optionally will be bounced back to the sender. The basic version is free and for a modest fee you can get the Pro version which allows you to monitor more than one mail account.

Collapse -
Allowing emails that you WANT
by MHAMMANN / February 9, 2006 7:28 PM PST
In reply to: try mailwasher

Hi, hope this is in the right place. I have Outlook Express-same as Outlook, I am not sure. Sometimes emails bounce. Is this my ISP or can I do something about those addresses??? Thanks a bunch. MJ

Collapse -
Choice Mail stops all webmail spam. Period.
by w0kie / February 9, 2006 6:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Choice Mail to the rescue.
by coatbridge / February 9, 2006 11:23 PM PST

I totally agree with w0kie. I have used ChoiceMail for over a year and never received any spam since using the program. I love it!

cj

Collapse -
Blocking Spam
by joerog55 / February 9, 2006 8:56 PM PST

I tried two popular spam blocking programs and it was almost impossible to keep up with the changing parameters. Finally, I tried www.cloudmark.com and I will stick with this. Cloudmark is a community of subscribers to a service that keeps an almost instantaneous data base of spam as it is sent. Each subscriber pays by the month or year and each contributes to the data base by spotting and blocking a spam message. How does that work? I get 75 to 100 spams a day. I turn on my Outlook and in come the spam, and almost as quickly as they come in they get dumped into the deleted message file or any other folder you designate. Occasionally a spam remains in the inbox. I highlight it, click on 'block spam' and it gets dumped but at the same time goes into the community database. As quick as the spammers change their parameters, the Cloudmark community catches and marks them as spam for automatic deletion. If you get a message that you want, that may be spam to others, but is not for you, you can click 'unblock' and the program will permit this messages from this particular sender to come in unscathed. There are lots of variables you can set up in the screening process. It really is a fantastic program, because you never have to worry about setting it up; the community does it for you. I have never had a good message designated spam and deleted. Thirty-nine bucks a year and worth every cent!

Collapse -
70 spam emails a day
by cleomc / February 9, 2006 9:04 PM PST

I have checked out numerous programs designed to control spam. After a two week vacation, I would find as many as 800 emails waiting, 90% spam or otherwise unwanted.
For me, the answer is a program called Mailwasher. Just Google the name to find the download. Mailwasher has many capabilities, but three go a long way to solve the spam problem. One, it gives you a quick preview of waiting mail BEFORE downloading to the preview pane. Checking unwanted ones eliminates them entirely before a full download. Secondly, it can be set to "learn" what kinds of email get regularly eliminated by you and will undertake automatic elimination for you. Thirdly, you can quickly add sources of repeated spam to an "enemies" list, excluding them before they get to either your preview pane or Mailwasher's editing screen. My 800 emails are reduced over two weeks to approximately 200, 80 of which I want and the rest unwanted. George McIntosh

Collapse -
Outlook Express Spam
by bill flinn / February 9, 2006 9:48 PM PST

I use only outlook Express and don't ever get any spam. I believe this is because I changed my email account name and email address from the original which I set up with my ISP when I first joined the net . I think ( though I might be wrong ) that this is why I get none .

Collapse -
new name
by phrubin / February 11, 2006 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook Express Spam

Bill,

This works only for a while. I've tried it.

First you have to inform all your contacts (or at least all you want to hear from Wink )

If you are a regular surfer, your new E-mail address will sooner or later get picked up by a spammer. After that, it doesn't take long for the E-Mail to build right back up again.

I use Mailwasher on two computers. My computer gets enough spam that it makes life easier. I use it in the manual mode. Only once in a while do I find anything in the ''Spam'' list that isn't really. Usually, these are websites I visited once or twice, then stopped using.

I've built up enough confidence in it to put the other computer on automatic. It rejects all Spam without you having to OK it each time. The app sorts into 3 categories, friend, spam, and normal. It only rejects spam. Normal is the category you must define for the app, it can't decide for itself on these. Friend is the category for addresses you have told it to accept.

That PC is used by the Lady Of The House who has little patience for anything not to her liking. She has stopped complaining about SPAM.

Paul

Collapse -
If you are using Outlook.....
by Johnwit / February 9, 2006 9:55 PM PST

Outlook and Outlook Express are POP3 email services so you must have one of the anti-spam software packages. I use Norton Internet Security 2006 which includes the anti-spam utility. However you MUST un-install ALL previous versions or you will have problems. After weeks of headaches I finally called Norton and went throught the notorious phone tree to speak to a real person in India. He directly me to a utility on the Norton web site that I downloaded and ran to clean all previous versions of Norton. Now I have my email address book loaded into the authorized email folder and it is 98% effective. Keep in mind that most spam emails are not text-based anymore because the spammers learned they can send the text as a dot.jpg (like a photo) preventing you from blocking specific text.

This is one of the most frustrating things in the computer world so don't let this get you down.

Collapse -
70 or more Spam a day
by emillay / February 9, 2006 9:58 PM PST

We have a cable modem and use Comcast. Inside of their own dedicated email program they will allow 20-40 emails per day of junque to come into your mail, and then they will "screen" another 30-50 but hold them for you to look at. It seems asinine that they can't catch more of them and filter them out. I've tried and tried to get them to work on it but they are totally unresponsive.

Collapse -
Google bayesian. This style of filter seems to work for us
by tjfarley / February 9, 2006 10:40 PM PST

SpamBayes works great!I use the Outlook plugin.
I saved a temporary folder of a couple of days worth of junk mail and used my exisiting folders of good mail to train SpamBayes and it worked very accurately in the first day or two after I trained it.(sorry no exact numbers I started using it a realy long time ago)
It worked so well I introduced it to some of my co-workers who tend to have spam problems.
Netscape 7.1 also has an excellent bayesian filter built in! I have co-workers who have had great success with Netscape.

Collapse -
BLUESECURITY is not a program, not only stops it, fight it!
by Chandaxi / February 9, 2006 11:26 PM PST

Bluesecurity is the way to fight spam, check it out at www.bluesecurity.com

Collapse -
...And it's free
by Chandaxi / February 9, 2006 11:30 PM PST

Forgot to say that!

Collapse -
Receive email in Yahoo
by spicetrader / February 9, 2006 11:32 PM PST

I receive all my email in Yahoo, except at work where the really big corporation pays somebody else to keep the spam under control. With Yahoo Mail, I rarely get spam in my "Inbox". Yahoo routes it to the "Bulk Mail" folder where I can ignore it forever.

Collapse -
RE: 70 spam emails
by jayfin / February 9, 2006 11:44 PM PST

I also use the three services you mention and receive very little spam. I get 3 or 4 a day in Outlook Express to which only family and one organizations that I belong to know about. I use Qurb - www.qurb.com(PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005)which filters all spam or junk mail into a special folder.
In my hotmail accounts I do not get any junk mail because I have used their filter set to Exclusive - you will only receive e-mail from addresses appearing in your Contacts, service announcements from Hotmail, and messages you have consented to receive from MSN
Initially, Yahoo mail let much spam through but by constantly indicating which mail was spam very little comes through and instead goes into the Junk folder.

John

Collapse -
How about Spampal
by ljarrell / February 10, 2006 1:57 AM PST

I have been using spampal for quite a while, its features include a Bayesian filter, public blacklists (DNSBL's), whitelists, an HTML filter, and more. It is totally configureable, meaning that you can choose to use all of the filters part of them and also change the level of scrutiny that each filter will apply to your emails.

For all of this you pay nothing, and also it is free of spyware

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?