Question

7" Tablet unlocked

I had recently purchased a GALAXY 7" tablet(T-Mobile) but a unlocked version.

Can I use any other 3G network with the tablet or only T-Mobile's 3G?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 7" Tablet unlocked
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 7" Tablet unlocked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
In theory any GSM provider that will let you buy their

In theory any GSM provider that will let you buy their service. However you know you are in for a data place today.
Bob

- Collapse -
doubt

"However you know you are in for a data place today."

sorry. I did not understand this part.

To my knowledge AFAIK, since the tablet is unlocked, I should be able to use any 3G service, not only T-Mobile.

I just want to know that if using any other 3G service will lock the device in any way?

- Collapse -
I meant data plan.

So in theory yes but given the current climate the US providers are not selling plans and cards without the data plan.

Sorry but this is between you and the provider. So far none re-lock the device.
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. For your research.

I find that even if you answer the question it will be questioned. The issue of networks changed last year and revolves not around GSM but how att and tmobile built varients of 3G GSM (I won't list all the names.)

But for voice, GSM is GSM and if your phone has the band then it just works.

-> But that's not the challenge here. Most folk are not ready to call up the suppliers and ask for the GSM card and plan. I can't guess why.
Bob

- Collapse -
7" Tablet unlocked

HemantSurana1,

- Collapse -
Thanks

@All,

Thanks for the info.

- Collapse -
Phone widget missing

Hi,

I checked few videos about how to make phone calls with other network sim using the tablet, and found that the phone widget itself is missing from the device.

Is there any way I can configure the device to make phone calls using the sim?

- Collapse -
I have to guess you don't have this device.

To put a widget on the screen you tap and hold your finger on the screen and a menu pops up that inside there you can put what you want on the screen.

This customizing to such a degree seems to confuse new owners. They expected to be an iPhone which it is not. You can do just about anything you want including removing the phone widget.

That addresses that but you still have to get a carrier to give you a sim, a plan and agree to let you use your unlocked device.

Just wondering, why must it be unlocked? You seem to be unaware of what trouble that is.
Bob

- Collapse -
the widget list does not show the phone widget

i know about adding he widget to the screen.

but my problem is that I am not able to see the phone widget anywhere on the tablet.

inserting a ATT sim also does not show the widget.

- Collapse -
Unlocked or rooted?

What you write makes it sound like you installed new firmware rather than some unlock. For example one particular root will have the phone widget MIA if the PDA check box is set.

But then again I have only your word that it is unlocked and not rooted and flashed.
Bob

CNET Forums