Question

7 SP1 won't install due to MSE?????

i have been trying for weeks now to install windows 7 SP1 on my gateway laptop. It fails, stating that MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is preventing the service pack from installing. OK, I get that EXCEPT I DO NOT HAVE MSE installed on my system. I have searched Microsoft's website (woefully inadequate on all things 7) and all I find are Vista solutions that don't fit my situation. I have armed my syst against malware, spyware, etc but how do I defend against Microsoft arrogance and ineptitude?Any suggestions, tips, solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 7 SP1 won't install due to MSE?????
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 7 SP1 won't install due to MSE?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Yup.

Nothing has changed in over 2 decades for the reaction to their bugs. It has helped those other major OSes keep users and gain more.

Hope this helps explain why many go get some Apple.

As to your issue, it could be some other protection and Microsoft's error routine misidentified it. I can't give much suggestions because I don't know your machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
7 SP1 won't install due to MSE????

Bob,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been really busy at work. Anyway, in answer to your query: I'm running Win 7 Pro on a Gateway laptop. As I stated in my original post I DO NOT have MSE installed (never did). I use Zone Alarm Internet Suite as my firewall & virus protection. I run Malwarebytes Anti-malware at least once a week, as well as Superantispyware & Ad-Aware. Oh, and Windows Defender (which I hardly ever use.) Any suggestions welcome. Thanks again.
BRabichow

- Collapse -
While you never installed MSE

Something detected it or rather detected what it thought was MSE. AdAware is VERY outdated advice. I think all the moderators here have not suggested that in years.

"Windows Defender" is likely to be what it identified as MSE. But that's just a guess. To figure this out I often uninstall item by item until it gives in.
Bob

- Collapse -
7 SP1 won't install due to MSE????

I'll give that a try (uninstalling Defender) and let you know if that works. Now that I think of it Defender has been asking to run a scan when I have it set to scan daily so there must be something goofy with it. Thanks for the tip.
BRabichow

- Collapse -
While you never installed MSE

Bob,
I disabled Defender but SP1 still gives the same error message. I even tried getting help from MS but they say my PID is past their help window. Figures. I am way out of my depth here and can't think of anything else to do except NOT installing SP!.

- Collapse -
That helped.

It appears that you may have one of the beta versions. Those are the only PIDs that are past their help support window.

And let me share that when I suspect that Defender is the cause I uninstall it. Disabling such things leaves the files and registry entries intact which can be a problem. Since I can always reinstall protection, I never worry about this.

If you think you PID (product ID) is valid, then there is only one company to call.
http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/0f977c30-32b4-4972-a6cb-c0046b3d01fc

Bob

CNET Forums