TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

7 Days Left to Return my Samsung HP-T5054, Should I?

by cknorr / January 23, 2008 1:41 AM PST

Towards the beginning of November I took the plunge and upgraded from the 5 year-old 20" Toshiba. After reading many articles on the subject, I decided that Plasma would be the way to go. My understanding was that burn-in was basically a thing of the past, and that the wider viewing angle was a good option for my living room setup.

I had pretty much decided on the Samsung HP-T5064, but when taking a last look at Best Buy got overexcited at the sale price of the 50" Samsung Plasma (which turned out to be the HP-T5054 model) and bought it on the spot. I got it home before I realized my mistake, but it looked great and I decided to keep it.

Last week my roommate left a DVD title screen up on the TV for about 2 hours (yes, I was tempted to severely injure him), and the next morning I noticed the image of the various menus was still visible when the TV was on (particularly on a black/blank screen). After calling Samsung support, I learned that the warrenty doesn't cover burn-in (I did get the extended Best Buy warrenty but apparently its coverage is on the same terms as Samsung's-haven't checked this out yet, anyone have any info here?). Customer support walked me through running a white screen & pixelation (or something similar) built-in features to clear the screen, which worked. Since then, I have paid attention and noticed some ghosting (like the Comcast icon in the top left), though nothing like that first time.

Since I purchased the TV in range of a special holday return policy, I have until the 31st of January to return the TV with no questions asked. Everything seems OK right now, but I'm concerned that this problem will get worse. Does anyone have any general or specific advice on what to do here? I could swap this TV for another of the same model, maybe upgrade to the newer generation HP-T5064, or go for a different brand or even LCD.

PS-Does anyone know if the extended warrenty policy from Best Buy can be returned, or am I out those $300?

PS-I paid about $1,600 for the TV (not counting the warrenty), and would like to stay in a similar price range, though I have some flexibility.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 7 Days Left to Return my Samsung HP-T5054, Should I?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 7 Days Left to Return my Samsung HP-T5054, Should I?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know about the return of the TV
by GinoShea / January 23, 2008 2:19 AM PST

It's a moral question, isn't it? Maybe there's no questions asked but the TV appears damaged to you. So your roommate broke it. You have to decide.

For what it's worth, if you take it back and get something else I wouldn't let your roommate go near the thing or anything else you own that's worth major $$$$.

I'm surprised you're not under arrest for homicide.

I'm guessing your roommate is a significant other (to put up with that). Make sure you get some payback.

Collapse -
re:
by HHaller2 / January 23, 2008 2:40 AM PST

I feel your pain...I have an older Samsung plasma (4252) and I've dealt with this issue numerous times.

It can be a headache, but for what it's worth, I've had no permanent damage done to my set (yet).

For that price range, you could exchange the set for another 50" plasma or a nice 46" LCD, btw. You'll still have the same anxieties with another plasma, however.

Collapse -
If the TV is not the one that you even inteneded...
by stuntman_mike / January 23, 2008 6:04 AM PST

to buy in the 1st place, then I would say definitely take it back if you can.

This sounds like a sign to me. You dodged the roommate bullet and lived to tell about it lol. Worst case, you get the TV that you actually wanted (possibly cheaper than 3mos ago), or you can get a better TV as prices have come down.

Like the other poster said, you will still have the same issue with another plasma as they are very delicate in the break in phase.

You could get an LCD, which would eliminate that worry, but it will probably be smaller or a model that is lower on the LCD totem pole than your Samsung is on the plasma totem pole.

My advice is to put in a little more money if you have it and get a good LCD if you are worried about it. Or you can just tell your roommate to keep his hands off your plasma lol. Either way, I would definitely take it back and at least get a new one. If for no other reason than your own anxiety will magnify any thing that you see wrong with your current one.

Collapse -
HELL'S BELLS; RETURN THE SET GUILT FREE.............
by Riverledge / January 23, 2008 8:20 AM PST

REMEMBER, YOUR ROOM-MATE IS AN IDIOT......BUT YOUR NOT A MURDERER, EITHER.

I'D TAKE MIKE'S ADVICE.

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?