TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

7.1 Reciever with 5.1 Speakers

I'm looking to purchase an HTIB and I like the ONKYO 780 7.1 but I only want (and have room for) the 5.1 speaker setup. The question is, If I bought the 7.1 HTIB and only set up the 5.1 speaker setup, would I have problems, such as loss of sound that is trying to go to the two speakers that I wouldn't hook up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 7.1 Reciever with 5.1 Speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 7.1 Reciever with 5.1 Speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
5.1 is Fine

In reply to: 7.1 Reciever with 5.1 Speakers

7.1 versus 5.1 is simply adding two additional speakers (it can also be one speaker, centered on the back wall, for 6.1) to add some extra rear surround effects to fill in existing gaps. The 7.1 in HTIB systems is now popular because of the "numbers race," more marketing than real improvement. Many people inexperienced in home theater think it is a big difference over 5.1, not necessarily so. If a manufacturer made a 5.1 and 7.1 HTIB system, identical except for the two speakers, two amp channels and price, I would go for the 5.1 system for you. If you get the Onkyo system, the two speakers and 6th and 7th channel on the amp will just go idle, no problem.

7.1 is most effective when you have a wide area in the rear of the room that is not completely covered by the two regular surround speakers. Your system should sound fine in 5.1. Make sure you get the 2 surround speakers up at least 5-7 feet off the floor. Keep them out of the corners and at least a foot below the ceiling.

Good placement is slightly behind the listening position facing in towards the middle of the room (or slightly farther back towed in towards the front) or on the rear walls facing forward and in several feet from the corners.

Hope this helps.

RR6 (Chuck)

Collapse -
This is what I did re 5.1 from 7.1 receiver

My receiver is the H/K 435. It has 4 surrounds; surround left, surround right, surround back left and surround back right. I used the surround left and right and did not connect speakers to the surround backs left and right. The receiver detected this in the auto setup and it sounds fine. The receiver knows which are connected and the sound options on the receiver that would normally require 7 speakers don't come up, only the options with a 5.1 setup are available.

Collapse -
5.1. is great but 7.1 over the top

Just set up a new Denon 3805 amp and a 5.1. atlantic Technology speaker system Then added two old Cerwin Vega speakers on the back wall even thou the back speakers dont match my set up the sound effect is awsome so much better. but that is my opinion. good luck to you stewart norrie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.