Question

7.1 audio over HDMI or optical on HT-F9750w: possible or not

Hi guys,

Does anyone know whether the HT-F9750w home theatre system will accept passthrough 7.1 audio (more in particular Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) from another source over HDMI or optical audio input? I know that it can play Blu-Ray discs using these audio formats, but I'm not sure whether it can decode them when received over HDMI or optical connection...

An answer to this would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Stivie886

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 7.1 audio over HDMI or optical on HT-F9750w: possible or not
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 7.1 audio over HDMI or optical on HT-F9750w: possible or not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To see if it can I went to
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/tv-av/home-theater/blu-ray-hometheater/HT-F9750W/ZK

Let's read the manual as the specs do show HDMI input (not to be confused with HDMI ARC!!!)
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201405/20140521142122951/%5BHT-F9750W-ZN%5DAH68-02646M-07L03-0508.pdf

Page 8 writes: "Audio decoder
- Supports WMA 10 Pro (Up to 5.1)
- Does not support WMA lossless audio.
- Supported ADPCM IMA, MS.
- Does not support ADPCM (A-Law, μ-Low)
- Does not support QCELP, AMR NB/WB
- Supports vorbis (Up to 2ch),
- Supports Dolby Digital Plus (Up to 7.1ch)"

There's much more later but you can't output DD TrueHD or DD+ via the optical cable.

REMEMBER I won't write at length things that are on the web. This means for 7.1 you would have some 7.1 source in DD+ input to this on HDMI. Optical has been written up why it doesn't work for some time.
- Collapse -
List seems to be incomplete

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. When I look at that list though, it seems to be incomplete... Dolby Digital and DTS for instance seem to be missing while I know for a fact that they work... 5.1 audio though... So are you sure that Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA aren't supported?

Noted that it definitely cannot be done over optical...

Cheers,
Steven

- Collapse -
Samsung has a penchant

To stand on this. If it's not in the manual, it's not supported. That is, if it works, that's fine but that doesn't mean it will forever, say if a firmware update comes down.

Mind you I didn't read the entire manual but skipped around it a little to see it's documented support items. As to the optical limitations, that's industry wide so I didn't keep writing.

CNET Forums