The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

6G iPod

What are people looking for more in a next generation iPod? iPhone-like, click-wheel based?

Personally, I think ditching the click wheel would be a bad choice. I'd release a touch iPod as a "pro" option, and keep the current line available with an updated GUI. Thoughts?

Alex

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 6G iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 6G iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i agree

In reply to: 6G iPod

i agree, too many ppl are unwilling to lose their tactile/physical buttons (or in this case wheel).
it is fine to launch an entirely new product solely available with a touch screen, or add another touchPod to the iPod line, however!
the loss of actual buttons would cannibalize sales of ipods. too many technophobes, and techies alike want the "control by feel" and such.
they do need a touch screen model tho!

bottom line: they need both a touch screen and a click wheel ipod!!!!

iphones wouldn't really be iphones nemore without a touch screen!!!

i want an iphone. really bad. send me a present please! hahaha...

Collapse -
Play/pause/next

In reply to: i agree

Is only buttons you need to be physical, point being control without taking out of pocket.

Collapse -
gotta be a touch screen

In reply to: i agree

I would be surprised if Apple DIDN'T go with a touch screen on the 6G iPod. Apple is all about branding and continuity across product lines and they certainly didn't spend millions of dollars and several years developing a sexy new UI only to put it on one super high end product. The 5.5 G iPod was lame (brighter screen and a few games... oh hold me back!). Which means its been over yeah and a half since that last major iPod refresh and they need to pull something big out of the bag.

The rumor that is currently floating around the net about the shorter, stubbier version of the current 5.5 g version is silly and seriously lacking in imagination. The 2 inch screen was already getting tired a year ago. To not have a big screen on a video iPod released today would be unconscionable, especially after everyone sees nice big screens on the iPhones sitting right next to iPods in the Apple stores.

Easily accessible basic media controls are not so hard to solve. There is already a volume control on the side of the iPhone. Add basic controls (skip forward, back, play pause) across the bottom where the home button is on the iPhone and you get the basics taken care of with all the other stuff controlled through the touch screen.

Collapse -
Is 6G going to be price

Given all the items the most important are easy deals:
ability to be play DIVX, FM tuner, and wifi to download podcasts. I would say bluetooth for head phones but have not found a good pair of bluetooth buds yet,

Collapse -
I want the buttons on the BACK, or NO buttons...

that way you can have a beautiful glass 3.5 inch screen that you dont smudge up controlling things...

"But how can I use it at the gym?" you ask. Answer: bring back the inline remote.

-OR-

We know that Maddog hates buttons. Take all the buttons off the ipod and put them in the new bluetooth headset. no more earbuds, noone wants to watch a movie with earbuds on! put the controls on the headset. So now everyone has to buy new headphones, and new accessories to get it to work with your stereos and your whatnots.

DOOOO IT!! I'd still get one. My 3G is on its last legs. Give me something sexy, glassy, and buttonless maddog!

-Karl :-P

Collapse -
Buttons at back?

In reply to: I want the buttons on the BACK, or NO buttons...

That's crazy, you couldn't even see what you're touching....

Collapse -
have you seen an ipod click wheel lately ;)

In reply to: Buttons at back?

seriously tho, the controls are so simple. n00bs may have to look for a couple days, but the average ipod user'd prolly nevrer have to look.

Collapse -
Better sound quality.

I'd like better sound quality from the next iPod. With my Shure E2Cs, my 5.5G iPod sounds kinda weak compared to other audio sources, including other digital audio players such as my old Creative Zen Micro, an old iRiver ifp-390t flash player, and an iAudio U3. I'd rather not have to plug in a portable amp or something to get better sound quality.

At least the iPod has a UI that's light years ahead of those aforementioned players and all I have to do to update my podcasts on it is to plug it in to sync to iTunes everyday or so.

Collapse -
Any UI updates will be a bonus but I'll buy the next iPod

when the EQ is fixed and when it has physical volume buttons. The rest I don't really worry about - sure, I could use a visual refresh as the iPod shape passed "boring" 18 months ago - but the iPod has always been pretty much the best music-only player for ease of use with it's two-way syncing, quick library navigation and playlisting. There's nothing wrong with the unequalized sound quality of the 5.5G but it's been like 4 years since I bought my first iPod and the EQ's been always broken. I need it to fix the response of my crappier in-ears like the Shure E3c / Etymotic ER-4P.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.